PDA

View Full Version : Help with a scanner

Evil Chris
07-31-2008, 10:22 AM
I got a new printer yesterday. The only HP finally bit the dust recently.

The new one is a Lexmark 4800 with a built in scanner which is nice. I am scanning some photos that have no digital backup.

But I need some advice. What DPI should I be scanning at for optimal results? So far I have been scanning colour pictures at 300 DPI but I can go higher. What should I do?

Funbrunette
08-01-2008, 11:06 AM
"Bueller....bueller....Bueller!" :laughout:

Evil Chris
08-01-2008, 11:26 AM
I know! Nobody can help with my scanner?

Casa Nova
08-01-2008, 11:48 AM
I have no idea.. Sorry. I'm guessing the higher the better right?

B O B
08-01-2008, 01:31 PM
no idea
but you can always do what this guy did with his TV

http://www.tslpl.org/images/Throw_out_TV.jpg

Evil Chris
08-01-2008, 02:32 PM
hehe... if I had a TV like that, I would throw it off the balcony too!

2MuchMark
08-02-2008, 01:27 AM
Hi Chris -

This basic is this: Images made to show on screen are usually in 72dpi, while for-print images are up around 300dpi. This is because without the higher dots per inch, graphic images will appear low-res when printed.

Do what I do. Scan everything at 300dpi, even images you know will end up on the web. This will give you large pictures that you can edit easily in photoshop, and then shrink down to a web-friendly size.

If you scan at 72 or 100, you get smaller images that are easier to manage, but you're out of luck if you need to magnify it for example.

Good luck!

Evil Chris
08-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Hi Chris -

This basic is this: Images made to show on screen are usually in 72dpi, while for-print images are up around 300dpi. This is because without the higher dots per inch, graphic images will appear low-res when printed.

Do what I do. Scan everything at 300dpi, even images you know will end up on the web. This will give you large pictures that you can edit easily in photoshop, and then shrink down to a web-friendly size.

If you scan at 72 or 100, you get smaller images that are easier to manage, but you're out of luck if you need to magnify it for example.

Good luck!Thanks Mark... great advice. I have been scanning everything at 300dpi which is the default for this particular scanner.