PDA

View Full Version : What do you make of this sales pitch?

Evil Chris
08-16-2008, 02:50 PM
I'm hearing spots on a radio station down in Vermont right now for a Chevrolet dealership that makes me tilt my head and wonder WTF.

We all know that the environment is a paramount issue for the human race, and heck most of us have at least seen "An Inconvenient Truth", so we are aware of the facts that are impacting the world we live in. If you're a Republican, you may well have skipped this paragraph. ;)

Back to the sales pitch. The Chevy dealer starts off by stating how darn expensive gasoline has become, but that they have a solution! In fact, they are willing to give you 2 years of FREE GAS if you buy a Hummer from them! Here's how they figure it out. Their estimate is that the average driver has to spend $3500 per year on gasoline to run their automobiles, and they are offering a $7000 rebate on their Hummers! Translation? 2 years of free gas for your massive SUV! Woo Hoo! I'll take 2!

WTF.

baddog
08-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Some people want Hummers no matter the cost of gas, so for them, it is probably a decent incentive . . . dependent on their markup.

Evil Chris
08-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Someone told me that recently, Chev has lowered the prices of Hummers pretty much everywhere due to the cost of gasoline. I just found that sales pitch to be kinda non-environmentally friendly. I don't have anything against Hummers. They're pretty cool.

baddog
08-16-2008, 08:28 PM
I just found that sales pitch to be kinda non-environmentally friendly.

Not too many tree huggers own one.

2MuchMark
08-17-2008, 12:54 AM
Hi Chris,

I've heard this pitch for the past month or so, but not just for hummers - I think all GM cars come with a similar offer, and other car companies are jumping on the bandwagon.

I think car companies are suffering big time. One of my cars is a Nissan Murano with $26,000 left to pay on its lease. It has less than 30,000 kilometers on it, no accidents, perfect condition, etc. The Nissan dealer told me he could only give me $16k for it because he knows he can't sell it today. He even told me that some people have canceled orders and given up their deposits on SUV's. Wow..!

m

Magnus3x
08-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Too much inventory on a dealers lot can decrease the chances of getting new vehicles that will sell with the current climate. Can't blame their by any means necessary attitude.

I just read a few analysts are predicting $63 bucks a barrel again within 3 years, mostly due to new drilling, how the market accelerated a recession and all the hybrid and other technologies coming by the auto industry.

Slippery
08-20-2008, 02:55 PM
Hummers are like panty remover! I love them it's just too bad they get such bad mileage.

Way3
08-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Some people will pay not matter what, while others aren't looking at the long term cost. They will eventually pay! :(