PDA

View Full Version : The Academy Awards

Evil Chris
03-07-2003, 12:04 PM
Who's a regular viewer of the Oscars?
I have to admit that I watch it every year, not so much to see who won, but to see and hear the actors in candid moments. I remember years ago when a lot of them would use the air time to talk about something political to make a statement. I think the last person I remember doing something like that was Richard Gere.
He got up there and went off about how we should free Tibet from the oppressive Chinese. He hasn't been invited back to the show since. LOL

What film will win?

Best Picture

CHICAGO (Miramax)
GANGS OF NEW YORK (Miramax)
THE HOURS (Paramount and Miramax)
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS (New Line)
THE PIANIST (Focus Features)

The only one I've seen in LOTR: The 2 Towers, so that gets my vote. :D

Sarah_MaxCash
03-07-2003, 04:36 PM
i am such a movie tart. I love them.

I reckon it is going to be between

CHICAGO and GANGS OF NEW YORK

Don't know if it should be but Chicago is the kind of movie the academy loves without being as 'out there' as other recent musicals. Gangs might walk it because they are giving marty his dues.

The hours is the outsider.

Where is adaptation on that list?

Evil Chris
03-08-2003, 03:29 PM
I really hope CHICAGO doesn't win it.
I hate it when a musical takes a bunch of the awards. It's like back with AMADEUS won I think 9 Oscars that year. :rolleyes:

Mister X
03-09-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Evil Chris

What film will win?

Best Picture

CHICAGO (Miramax)
GANGS OF NEW YORK (Miramax)
THE HOURS (Paramount and Miramax)
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS (New Line)
THE PIANIST (Focus Features)

The only one I've seen in LOTR: The 2 Towers, so that gets my vote. :D Damn I haven`t seen any of them this year. I feel so uncultured. :blush:

Horg
03-09-2003, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Evil Chris
I hate it when a musical takes a bunch of the awards. It's like back with AMADEUS won I think 9 Oscars that year. :rolleyes:

Amadeus was not a musical btw.

Urgh I'm so late movie-wise. The two last movies I have seen in theater were LOTR and Daredevil. I need to go to the movies more often ! I spend my evenings watching old horror/thriller/suspense movies on the Scream channel.

Bobby Vicious
03-10-2003, 01:31 AM
I hate it when a musical takes a bunch of the awards. It's like back with AMADEUS won I think 9 Oscars that year.

Not a musical but it kicked ass. I love that movie and soundtrack. Definately in my top 5 favorites. I'm looking forward to seeing Polanski's "Piano"

Danny_C
03-10-2003, 10:46 AM
Anything by Polanski is good.

I really hope either Gangs or The Two Towers win. If Chicago wins, I'm never watching the fuckin Oscars again.