PDA

View Full Version : Attention cat owners!!!

Funbrunette
01-19-2009, 01:08 PM
:nuts: HELP! My kitten is crazy! I`ve been doing some reading and I know Siamese cats have a bad rep, but this is insane...lol She`s jumping, clawing, getting into everything (yes EVEN my fridge) and won`t get off the table (I don`t like having any animals walking on the table where I eat or where my son plays) So far I`ve been using a water spray and it seems to work, but DAMN she`s stubborn.

Any suggestions...

She`s only 3 months can`t get fixed yet....

Nymph
01-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Siamese tend to be a bit on the hyper side, especially when kittens...it's just normal for the breed.

Make sure she has plenty of toys to keep her active...balls, toy mice (leave out the catnip), ribbons or yarn tied from different things to dangle down for her. If you have an old brown grocery bag, or boxes, they love those too.

She will eventually grow out of some of this, but make sure as soon as she is old enough to get her fixed...a Siamese coming into heat is ear deafening!

Panky
01-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Welcome to the kitten stage. :D Water spray bottles and vegetable sprayers work wonders. My little Angelie was complete hell as a kitten. She was nicknamed S.O.S. (Spawn of Satan) People told me too, "After you get her fixed, she'll settle down". Well, lets just say it didn't have the calming effect on Angelie.

There is hope because they do settle down. The kitten stage will try your patience, but it gets better as they mature. You just simply have to be more stubborn than the kitten. Angelie knows I'm the pushover human in the house and she has me wrapped around her little paw, but she also knows that there are some rules that I will not bend, even the slightest bit, on. For example, I don't like cats on counters, tables, or in sinks. It took a few times of her getting sprayed with the vegetable sprayer before she learned, but now she knows better. Even now when she gets in one of those moods and decides to test our patience, all we do is grab the spray bottle or reach for the vegetable sprayer and she takes off like a bat out of Hell. :D

Another thing I did with Angelie was to let her outside. I didn't want an indoor/outdoor cat, but my patience was wearing thin between my BF scolding her, bitching about the cat, and her just being her. I swear she did things just to piss him off and then sat back and laughed because she succeeded in pissing him off. Something had to give. So, one time when I went to leave and she made a mad dash for the door, I left her out. She was not even a year old and I worried big time the whole time she was out. Especially when there was a time she didn't come home for about 2 days. After that stunt, she never went far from home. Now when she goes out, she hunts, burns off some excess energy, and comes home much calmer.

charlottecolo
01-20-2009, 12:14 AM
boxes and the spray gun - if you can get her in the whisker (do not hit her in the eye) this should totally freak her out

Funbrunette
01-20-2009, 07:34 AM
Thanks peeps! Those are some great tips! I was lucky last night Ryan played with her for hours and he tired her out, she passed out and slept all night! It's amazing, Ryan has taught her how to fetch a ball and bring it back! Blows my mind away! :worthy:

thruma
01-20-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks peeps! Those are some great tips! I was lucky last night Ryan played with her for hours and he tired her out, she passed out and slept all night! It's amazing, Ryan has taught her how to fetch a ball and bring it back! Blows my mind away! :worthy:

lol theres your answer. Let Ryan wear her down.

When our cat was a kitten the kids played with him till bed time and it was so funny.
As soon as the kids walked out of the living room to go to bed the cat would jump up on the couch and fall asleep. All in the same instant. lol

Something you can try if the cat is being bad is just say a firm no and give it a very gentle tap on the nose and I do mean GENTLE!
Mother cats tap them on the nose when they are being bad so it is somewhat instinctual. Their nose is very sensitive so do it lightly and GENTLE. Did I say that already? ;)

Cyndalie
01-21-2009, 09:40 AM
They take about 2-3 years to 'tame' and you have to train them like you would a dog.

We will never own another siamese again.