PDA

View Full Version : Who watched the Inauguration?

Evil Chris
01-20-2009, 06:56 PM
I watched it from about 11am until 1pm so I got most of the highlights.

As a Canadian I shouldn't care so much, and I don't really... but I have to say I was impressed with all the protocol and traditions involved with the entire thing. Obama gave an impressive speech that I'm sure raised eyebrows and hopes all over the country and maybe the world too.

Too bad Chief Justice John Roberts messed up the swearing-in ceremony!

Ronaldo
01-20-2009, 07:26 PM
I tuned in shortly after the swearing-in, but I DVR'd it.

You're right about the production though. I LOVE watching the State of the Union Address.

Panky
01-20-2009, 10:37 PM
I watched it for about an hour or so, worked online for awhile, then I came back to watch some more. I had it on all day, but I can't sit there and actually watch it for hours on end.

Evil Chris
01-21-2009, 09:28 AM
I tuned in shortly after the swearing-in, but I DVR'd it.

You're right about the production though. I LOVE watching the State of the Union Address.I watch the State of the Union address most years. It's nowhere near as impressive as an inauguration, though.

Ron, you'd enjoy spectating at the House of Commons or a guided tour there I'm sure.
I have done the guided tour at Parliament 4 times now and every time I learn something new.

Ronaldo
01-21-2009, 09:33 AM
I watch the State of the Union address most years. It's nowhere near as impressive as an inauguration, though.

Ron, you'd enjoy spectating at the House of Commons or a guided tour there I'm sure.
I have done the guided tour at Parliament 4 times now and every time I learn something new.

No, you're right about the ceremonies. But EVEN with George W Bush doing the address, it's hard not to get pumped up. With OBAMA?? I figure I'll be applying to be an American Citizen or signing up to join the military.

More importantly though, it's hilarious to watch the initial bi-partisan standing ovation, then the party select ones throughout.

Ottawa is one place I've never been. The only reason thus far I've found to go would be to see Jimmi Dean and his wife. I guess if I were to ever make the trip, I might be interested in the tour though.

Cyndalie
01-21-2009, 09:44 AM
I saw the swearing in and the speech, it was tempered and just OK. The size of the crowd was impressive.

Evil Chris
01-21-2009, 09:48 AM
I still think it's a shame that John Roberts messed up the swearing in. Those are historic moments.

Ron... Yeah I think you'd enjoy Ottawa based on your interest in political protocol. Just walking through the halls of parliament is interesting.

Ronaldo
01-21-2009, 10:16 AM
I saw the swearing in and the speech, it was tempered and just OK. The size of the crowd was impressive.

Let me preface this by saying that I never saw the speech, so I have no idea what it was like. I heard a couple of people say it was amazing, then this comment.

But THIS is part of why Obama is doomed to failure. Prior to his speech, I heard one guy saying that his speech was going to make people forget MLK's mountaintop speech. Like WTF??? How much are people expecting from this guy and how much more pressure does he need on him?

The guy inherited a war his country CAN'T win, and an economy depressed like nothing since the GREAT depression. With people expecting historic beyond belief speeches from him already, what can he POSSIBLY do to live up to his expectations? He could solve peace in the middle east, see the economy rebound in three months and Jesus himself could come down from the heavens and say he's the best person he's ever watched from above, and he'll be criticized for not curing cancer and there not being flying hovercrafts.

Has there been ANY other president with the expectations placed on him? Ever? Not only is it unrealistic, it's unfair. Enjoy the first black president folks, because it's only gonna last for 4 years. (yeah, that's an official non-sports prediction Chris...one day into his administration)

Evil Chris
01-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Ron, I can always count on your for an extreme point of view. ;)
Much like another Ron that I know. Where is he anyway? This is just his kind of conversation.

I'm unsure what you base your prediction on, or how you can say with such certainty that Obama will be kicked out after one term. It's already common knowledge that he's not expected to move mountains right away, and that it's understood that 8 years of Bush can't be undone in just a few months. Americans will be patient with him, and by and large trust and respect his decisions. In his speech he stated the time had come to make difficult decisions, and I'm sure his administration will do that. Remember, this isn't an administration driven entirely by money like the previous one was. Oil isn't the factor it once was. So things will (hopefully) be different.

Just my take, but it's based on Obama's own words.

Rochard
01-21-2009, 11:39 AM
I watched some of it, but there are more important things in life to me - like working. I didn't work twenty hours a day for two weeks straight so I can take the day off to watch TV.

It was interesting, and the transfer of power is always an amazing thing.

Obama is a great speaker. He didn't motivate me to go out join the National Guard or anything, but at least he didn't stumble. I hope he does better than the last guy.

Magnus3x
01-21-2009, 11:40 AM
I was amazed at the crowds and how Countries around the world all watched with excitement. You would have to be the biggest downer cynic in the world if you couldn't at least appreciate that.

Ronaldo
01-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Ron, I can always count on your for an extreme point of view. ;)
Much like another Ron that I know. Where is he anyway? This is just his kind of conversation.

I'm unsure what you base your prediction on, or how you can say with such certainty that Obama will be kicked out after one term. It's already common knowledge that he's not expected to move mountains right away, and that it's understood that 8 years of Bush can't be undone in just a few months. Americans will be patient with him, and by and large trust and respect his decisions. In his speech he stated the time had come to make difficult decisions, and I'm sure his administration will do that. Remember, this isn't an administration driven entirely by money like the previous one was. Oil isn't the factor it once was. So things will (hopefully) be different.

Just my take, but it's based on Obama's own words.

I think you give too much credit to the American people.

12ClicksMichele
01-21-2009, 02:01 PM
I watched the swearing in and got to hear moste of the speech during my lunch hour and I thought he did an amazing job.

garcia
01-25-2009, 09:27 AM
I had it on from 7 am untill about 3pm. It was history in the making and worth listening to in the background. I did stop and watch the swearing in.

:knight: