PDA

View Full Version : NHL All Star weekend

Evil Chris
01-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Did you watch any of it?

I only caught clips of the skills competition, but we got together last night and watched the game itself. It was a little uninspired throughout the 3 periods, but when they started playing in OT, the speed picked up noticeably.

I enjoyed it and I think the fans did too.
Kovalev's goal in the shootout was just perfect for the hometown audience.

Ronaldo
01-26-2009, 09:33 AM
I watch it for the introductions and stay for the....wait...I don't stay because the game always sucks.

Cyndalie
01-26-2009, 09:53 AM
I didn't even know it was on :knight:

Evil Chris
01-26-2009, 10:33 AM
I watch it for the introductions and stay for the....wait...I don't stay because the game always sucks.More and more I am convinced you aren't a fan of the game.

Ronaldo
01-26-2009, 11:10 AM
More and more I am convinced you aren't a fan of the game.

I'm not anymore and I don't recall me denying that. But that doesn't take away from that fact that the All-Star game itself is a farce...AND that my hockey knowledge is matched by few.

Evil Chris
01-26-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm not anymore and I don't recall me denying that. But that doesn't take away from that fact that the All-Star game itself is a farce...AND that my hockey knowledge is matched by few.Says you of course.

But with regards to your more realistic comment, the All Star game is what it is and it's always been that way. A production of sorts. People need to stop whining about it. The players put on a good show considering that they aren't entertainers, but athletes. Every single one of them that was interviewed expressed how honored they were to be playing in this game.

The sellout crowd at the Bell Center seemed to enjoy themselves, too. :)

Kenny B
01-26-2009, 12:43 PM
The skills competition was fun to watch, I am a fan of Ovechkin after this weekend, seems like a funny guy.

I enjoyed the game, was interesting to see Tim Thomas get cheers in the bell center, it'll never happen again lol.

Vid Vicious
01-26-2009, 01:22 PM
it didn't bring as many american tourists to montreal as I had thought it would ..

could the allstar week have lost it's allure?

Ronaldo
01-26-2009, 03:50 PM
the All Star game is what it is and it's always been that way. A production of sorts. People need to stop whining about it. The players put on a good show considering that they aren't entertainers, but athletes. Every single one of them that was interviewed expressed how honored they were to be playing in this game.

The ONLY thing I used to watch with any interest besides the player introductions at the game (hometown cheers and opponent boos are great), was the skills competition. I caught the fastest skater this year and then caught a few clips channel surfing. I'm bummed I missed the hardest shot competition but let me say this...the breakaway whatever the fuck that was is a TOTAL joke and needs to be removed altogether. The Ovechkin bit was funny, but other than that, what great breakaway moves were there? 90% of them failed. The only ones that succeeded were when the guys shot the puck between their legs. Whoopie! HOW big of a joke was it? When the commentators are laughing because the goalie "can't get out of the way fast enough", when he's been TOLD to get out of the way, that's just embarrassing to the league. They never be able to duplicate the slam dunk competition in basketball no matter what they try.

As for them all proclaiming that they were honored to be playing in the game, I mean c'mon man. I know you're smarter than that. Honored to be selected? I'm sure to a man they were. Playing in the game? Gee, do you think ANY of them would rather be on a beach somewhere with their family and maybe, just MAYBE, they've been told to be respectful of the game. Even if they haven't been "prompted", they know damn well a suspension is possible if they say the wrong thing.

Funbrunette
01-26-2009, 05:46 PM
Oh yes, I spent all weekend glued to my couch! :laughout: I'm sorry, but I lost interest in hockey when they started having too many teams and when they killed my beloved Nordiques!

I don't care what people say "GO NORDIQUES GO!!!" :laughout:

http://chris.msag.com/Images/Nordiques/Fullsize/1987-88.jpg

Those were the good old days! I miss the Stastny's brothers!

http://www.vigile.net/local/cache-vignettes/L500xH330/27-nordiques-4b7bf.png

Evil Chris
01-26-2009, 10:31 PM
the breakaway whatever the fuck that was is a TOTAL joke and needs to be removed altogether.I agree with you on this point only. I thought it looked stupid. It should be taken seriously from now on.

As for them all proclaiming that they were honored to be playing in the game, I mean c'mon man. I know you're smarter than that. Honored to be selected? I'm sure to a man they were. Playing in the game? Gee, do you think ANY of them would rather be on a beach somewhere with their family and maybe, just MAYBE, they've been told to be respectful of the game. Even if they haven't been "prompted", they know damn well a suspension is possible if they say the wrong thing.No, YOU come on. You're being silly.