PDA

View Full Version : Star Trek

Evil Chris
05-11-2009, 03:32 PM
I thought we should have a Star Trek thread.

Who saw it?
What did you think of it?

I went on Friday night and thought it was excellent. Really well done.
Hopefully they got all the personality trait cliches out of the way though.

5 stars from me.

BradM
05-11-2009, 04:22 PM
I hate humans, so I avoid any form of line that I can. Mobs make me very angry and impatient. While I want to see it badly, I will be waiting until June to do so.

RD_Shane
05-11-2009, 04:36 PM
This is probably the first Star Trek movie I've really wanted to see. I wasn't a huge fan of the original series, though I did watch it. I was more of a Next Generation girl. But I love the casting of the new movie and the crew seems solid. I will probably be joining Brad in waiting to watch it till June since I hate crowded theaters.

MediaGuy
05-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Good luck avoiding spoilers - which I did completely successfully until the very night of the pre-premiere shows; now that the movie is out, they're going to be everywhere mouah.

I know now having seen it that some of the spoilers out there truly would have made it a less enjoyable story.

Star Trek was amazing, incredible, exhilarating... completely new, yet absolutely pure-at-heart with the Trek universe (and the old show especially).

If you really want to have a thread about it, add SPOILER ALERT - ONLY FOR THOSE WHO SAW IT ALREADY to the title or something heh.

:D

Evil Chris
05-11-2009, 10:38 PM
There's not much to spoil though is there? There's no "Crying Game" moment. LOL

It's a given that we'll see all the main characters in the stages of their late teens/early 20s. With all the character traits you've come to know and love from them in younger bodies. There's even a green body at one point.

Spiice
05-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Saw it last Friday and it was excellent. I like Zachary Quinto as Spock and the guy who played Scotty is also great. I really hope that J.J. Abrams will make TV series with this crew.

Evil Chris
05-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Saw it last Friday and it was excellent. I like Zachary Quinto as Spock and the guy who played Scotty is also great. I really hope that J.J. Abrams will make TV series with this crew.Highly unlikely, and I think that would ruin it anyway.

Cyndalie
05-12-2009, 03:22 PM
I hope to go see it in theaters but my chances of getting there are slim.

DrChango
05-12-2009, 03:24 PM
I thought the job they did casting it was superb, especially casting that Urban guy from LOTR as Dr McCoy. He totally nailed it!

Vid Vicious
05-13-2009, 02:04 AM
i just saw it .. and i have to say

I am so impressed .. I actually wasn't expecting much as the latter star trek films haven't been all that .. but damn this one blows the doors off!!!

kurt was very well played and not over done at all. great sci fi film

Evil Chris
05-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Who's Kurt? ;)

Spiice
05-13-2009, 10:56 AM
I think he meant Kirk?

dyonisus
05-13-2009, 05:05 PM
OMG, I avoided the line ups over the wknd and missed out.. I am so stoked to check it out.

Vid Vicious
05-13-2009, 09:39 PM
Who's Kurt? ;)

ROFL

Nag

MediaGuy
05-14-2009, 03:46 AM
There's not much to spoil though is there? There's no "Crying Game" moment. LOL

It's a given that we'll see all the main characters in the stages of their late teens/early 20s. With all the character traits you've come to know and love from them in younger bodies. There's even a green body at one point.

Not much to spoil?

The first five minutes, for example.

I mean just after the opening scene, you know anything can happen...

And some serious relational dynamics revamped...

And, and... grrr I cannot spoil!

(Crying Game was a PR scam, I knew what was up from the start... it was a gimmick, not relevant to the story really, while Star Trek was all character-based)

:D

DrChango
05-14-2009, 12:39 PM
did I mention the special effects were fucking insane? Especially for antagonists' vessel.

StripAndPoker
06-15-2009, 09:10 AM
the budget was $150 million only for effects :smoker::smoker::smoker:

Rochard
06-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Saw it. Loved it.

2MuchMark
06-16-2009, 10:05 PM
Don't wait - go see the movie before you read anything more about it. If you're a trekker, this movie is breathtaking. If you're not a trekker this movie is fantastic.

Everything about the movie: Casting, acting, story and effects are Perfect. Extra kudos for the story. It is beyond good. Can I say this enough? It is a perfect movie.

There are LOTS of Crying Game moments in the movie. Trekkers know where they are, and passive viewers will see at least one.

There are plenty of nods to to knows who live in the Trek universe and some cool in jokes, but if you've never watched Trek you won't feel left out. It's a summer blockbuster for the action crowd, and it's the ultimate love explosion for the die hard fans.

Multiply my enthusiasm for this movie X 100 in Imax!

I've seen it twice in Imax already and plan to go one more time before it leaves the theatres (and yes I plan to buy it on Blu ray the day it comes out). But don't wait! Just go.

Go now now now now now now now now now now now now now now now now now now now now now now now now now now now now.

Trek. Believe.

Cyndalie
06-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Still have not yet gotten a chance to go see it. Boo!

TheLegacy
06-19-2009, 09:44 AM
I do hope that they create a TV series on this - right now there isn't much left other than Atlantis worthwhile watching - I need my sci-fi fix

MediaGuy
06-20-2009, 01:11 AM
Saw it. Loved it.

One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US...

TheLegacy
06-20-2009, 01:22 PM
One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US... One of US...One of US...

Can you believe that William Shatner can't do the vulcan hand sign?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FZB_o8NnLOU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FZB_o8NnLOU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>