PDA

View Full Version : How can I quit smoking?

SexArise! Chick
06-14-2009, 08:31 AM
I need to quit. My lungs need fresh air. Tammy

Stazz
06-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Some of my friends quit smoking after reading "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr. Hope this 'll work for you too ;-)

Rochard
06-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Try the Commit smoking lozenges. Not sure if you have them in Canada; We can buy them over the counter here in the US nearly anywhere. They rock.

Throw your cigarettes out, toss out your lighters, and take these. They have the 4mg and the 2mg. Take the 4mg first for a week, and then the 2mg for a week. Then your done.

fantastvik
06-16-2009, 03:25 AM
well, its one of the most difficult things to do! i have been trying to quit since last three years (last three years i have been actually trying, i have been smoking since last 12 years).. i have come down to three a day, i make it sure that i dont increase in that...but its really hard to do

Evil Chris
06-16-2009, 01:26 PM
Seems like I have answered this question a lot lately.

It took me several trys and several years to finally quit. It's will-power more than anything that contributes to a successful quit-smoking campaign. Gums, lozenges and patches do help, but it's will-power that is the more critical thing. You have to really want to quit or you aren't going to.

Personally, I used the 10 week patch program with a few gums thrown in. Just a few, really. I've been smoke free for 3 and a half years. It feels great.

Good luck. Stay strong and don't give in and you can do it too.

SexArise! Chick
06-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks for all the advice and motivation guys.

2MuchMark
06-16-2009, 09:59 PM
It's simple.

Stop smoking.

Just stop. Stop buying, stop borring, stop puffing.

The cravings you feel are all in your head. I used to smoke a pack a day and I stopped just like that.

RD_Shane
06-17-2009, 08:49 PM
I found that it helped me a lot to keep busy. Try a healthy replacement therapy like exercise or munch on snacks like carrots and celery. Eating will help with the oral fixation that comes with smoking but you need to make sure it's stuff that isn't going to cause a lot of weight gain or your out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Just my 2 cents :)

LizAEBN
06-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Ooooh, I have gone back and forth in this struggle for years myself!

I can't use the patches 'cos I am allergic to the adhesive (and having my flesh melt outside of Zombie Bioapocolypse is not so very much fun, after all), and the gum tastes like Satan's asshole.

Find a quit buddy to help keep you motivated, or if you can get hold of them, an e-cig. I've been using the e-cigs for a while and have cut dramatically back on my smoking (pack and a half a day for the last 20 years to approximately 3 ciggies a day).

I'm also keeping bottles of cold water handy to chug when I want to smoke, as well as easy exercise options (a resistance band at my desk, hooping for 5 minutes when I want to smoke, installed a pull up bar in my doorway, etc) that I go to when I would usually have a smoke and don't want to reinforce my puffing behaviours.

Magnus3x
06-18-2009, 09:51 AM
I quit cold turkey in 2000 after 10 years on the darts. It has to be an absolute in your mind that you are quitting and want to quit. Otherwise all the gum, patches and hypnosis in the world ain't going to do squat.

I remember how rough day 1-14 was and I always played that in my head, I don't want to go through that first 2 weeks again.

SexArise! Chick
06-18-2009, 05:24 PM
It's simple.

Stop smoking.

Just stop. Stop buying, stop borring, stop puffing.

The cravings you feel are all in your head. I used to smoke a pack a day and I stopped just like that.

I'm having a really hard time. Every time I say this is my last pack I end up buying a new one.

Tammy

TheLegacy
06-19-2009, 03:21 PM
http://skeptisys.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/oldandstillsmoking.jpg

dyonisus
06-19-2009, 04:43 PM
I coudl never start despite trying when a teenager. I thought I could be a smoker but he lungs dont like it, makes me ill!

student4ever
06-19-2009, 06:50 PM
wasn't there somebody else trying to stop recently? May help to know that the physical part is done after 72 hours - after that, all the cravings are in your head. As was said, you have to really want it and be able to commit to it.

Decide when you will quit and have your last one before you go to sleep, then make SURE you don't have one when you get up. The first 24 hours are the worst from the physical stand point - your body is still craving them, but you've hopefully slept through the fist 6-10 hours of that!

A friend did really well with hypnosis, but it wasn't cheap.

SexArise! Chick
06-20-2009, 08:53 AM
I guess its more of a stress reliever. It really sucks because I crave for a cigarette often. I feel like having one right now.

Tammy