PDA

View Full Version : traffic question

Mister X
03-20-2003, 12:03 PM
Ok so I'm considering 2 things at the moment. Possibly a paid banner placement trial somewhere and paid placement for galleries. If you have any experiences with these things, good or bad or indifferent, I'd like to hear about it.

I have the opinion as a gallery builder that paid placement for galleries is not a great investment, but I think it might be worthwhile for a paysite. You have a bigger piece of the pie to work with so with the same number of signups you can still make money. At least that is my guess. Has anyone tried that?

As far as paid banner placement... is it better just to buy the traffic?

Thanks for any comments you might have!

Phoenix
03-20-2003, 01:25 PM
Hello misterX...i am not sure i understand fully what you are asking but here goes my two cents worth.

Buying hits from galleries, or tgp type sites(in the form of banner space) is always risky, as the surfers are not usually qualified. If you have some solid conversion numbers you can base your calculations on, then perhaps it will be profitable for you. So if you can get a number of spots on the front and inside the galleries you should get traffic, and the risk to perform is on the site makers. So as long as you convert, they should do well with you.

With that being said...i have some very nice numbers from various link lists...so if you can cut a deal with the owner of such a site, that has volume, you should get sales.

Mister X
03-21-2003, 08:42 AM
I've been checking the going rates for banner placement on some of the bigger tgps and quite honestly I'm astonished at what they are charging. Paying 500 or 1000 bucks is just too damn much unless you are looking to do a little branding I think. Even the rates for a top spot in the gallery listings are looking pretty unrealistic. I've seen rates of 250 bucks for one day. That's just frigging crazy! I'm thinking that I might try a little gallery traffic from spotbrokers.com and see what happens. Has anyone tried them yet?

the New Shemp
03-24-2003, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by Mister X
I've been checking the going rates for banner placement on some of the bigger tgps and quite honestly I'm astonished at what they are charging. Paying 500 or 1000 bucks is just too damn much unless you are looking to do a little branding I think. Even the rates for a top spot in the gallery listings are looking pretty unrealistic. I've seen rates of 250 bucks for one day. That's just frigging crazy! I'm thinking that I might try a little gallery traffic from spotbrokers.com and see what happens. Has anyone tried them yet?

There are some TGPs that charge 400-500.00 for the top link for one day. So you have to be very careful. You get posted on an off day, or when people are focused ont he war and you will loose $$. I think buying cheaper spots, but spreading them out over a longer period of time works better, anyway. As for spotbrokers, they are buying up to 100K a day off me, plus a ton of traffic off other sites, so hopefully that means the quality is good :)

Mister X
03-24-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by the New Shemp
There are some TGPs that charge 400-500.00 for the top link for one day. So you have to be very careful. You get posted on an off day, or when people are focused ont he war and you will loose $$. I think buying cheaper spots, but spreading them out over a longer period of time works better, anyway. As for spotbrokers, they are buying up to 100K a day off me, plus a ton of traffic off other sites, so hopefully that means the quality is good :) Thanks for the input! And yes that does tend to make me think the quality is going to be pretty good at spotbrokers. :D

McAttack
03-25-2003, 12:19 AM

Well I don't believe in paying top dollar for the top spot. The #2-5 spots are still good and normally a fair % less in cost. As long as I'm top 10 on a TGP, it's great. I'd rather be #10 on 5 sites, than #1 on 2 sites.

As for the banner placement, I think it's important for branding, not so much for the standard cookie-cutter style of sites. If your banners sells something original, then yes.

McAttack
03-25-2003, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Phoenix
Hello misterX...i am not sure i understand fully what you are asking but here goes my two cents worth.

Buying hits from galleries, or tgp type sites(in the form of banner space) is always risky, as the surfers are not usually qualified. If you have some solid conversion numbers you can base your calculations on, then perhaps it will be profitable for you. So if you can get a number of spots on the front and inside the galleries you should get traffic, and the risk to perform is on the site makers. So as long as you convert, they should do well with you.

With that being said...i have some very nice numbers from various link lists...so if you can cut a deal with the owner of such a site, that has volume, you should get sales.

I've always been iffy on link lists to be honest. How do you know the guy's not just using a hitbot? i've worked a bit with link lists, but I find myself spending more time researching them individually than I do with TGPs.

Mister X
03-25-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by McAttack
Well I don't believe in paying top dollar for the top spot. The #2-5 spots are still good and normally a fair % less in cost. As long as I'm top 10 on a TGP, it's great. I'd rather be #10 on 5 sites, than #1 on 2 sites.

As for the banner placement, I think it's important for branding, not so much for the standard cookie-cutter style of sites. If your banners sells something original, then yes. That pretty much echoes my conclusions on the matter. And I'd rather get in the top ten on 20 smaller tgps than a couple of big ones.

Adult Site Traffic
03-25-2003, 10:12 AM
Hi,

Here's one I know, http://www.drbizzaro.com/main.html
Phil can deliver a lot of traffic quickly for a reasonable price.
webmaster@atomicsolutions.com

Also, Thierry at www.mmm100.com. Little bit more expensive, but the numbers are good. webmaster@mmm100.com

Thumbzilla also has a hellova deal on paid spots..., but I have yet to try them. I've been meaning to, just too busy.. :)
http://www.thumbzilla.com/advertiserinfo.htm

Also, Don't forget "The New Shemp" :)) and Tarpy at www.pichunters.com

Good luck,

Adult Site Traffic

Mister X
03-26-2003, 09:59 AM
Thumbzilla really does have great rates for gallery placement. What some sites charge for a day gets you a full month on there. And since he hasn't taken submits for quite a while it's your only option to get some thumbzilla traffic.

Adult Site Traffic
03-26-2003, 10:06 AM
Thumbzilla really does have great rates for gallery placement. What some sites charge for a day gets you a full month on there. And since he hasn't taken submits for quite a while it's your only option to get some thumbzilla traffic.

I wonder.. does anyone have any info pertaining to his traffic volume and overall conversion ratios (like... good, bad or ugly)?

I was thinking about trying him, if and when I have time to build some galleries :)

AST

the New Shemp
03-26-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Adult Site Traffic
I wonder.. does anyone have any info pertaining to his traffic volume and overall conversion ratios (like... good, bad or ugly)?

I was thinking about trying him, if and when I have time to build some galleries :)

AST

Zilla gets about 400K a day to the links page, i believe.
Conversion ratios depend on a lot of things, the category, the day of the week, where your gallery is on the page etc, but Thumbzilla is a VERY solid TGP, certainly worth trying out.

Mister X
03-26-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Adult Site Traffic

AST About the only tgp I really know that has "bad" traffic is the Hun. Most of the others I've had galleries on have had decently converting traffic if I used a decent gallery. That's really the main ingredient for a successful gallery posting.

cdsmith
03-27-2003, 12:49 AM
I have some paid traffic sources for galleries and sites, by all means check my sig button......

have a look, and I'll gladly help anyone out that is interested in paid traffic. I've been buying traffic myself for a number of years and have found some solid, honest reliable sources that deliver.

Mister X
03-27-2003, 08:57 AM
Some interesting stuff there CD. It's gone on my list of possibles, hehe.

McAttack
03-27-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by the New Shemp
Zilla gets about 400K a day to the links page, i believe.
Conversion ratios depend on a lot of things, the category, the day of the week, where your gallery is on the page etc, but Thumbzilla is a VERY solid TGP, certainly worth trying out.

Have to agree. We've had our galleries posted there, without paying for a spot, just free submissions, and they've converted rather well considering they weren't top 10.

McAttack
03-27-2003, 09:09 AM
About the only tgp I really know that has "bad" traffic is the Hun. Most of the others I've had galleries on have had decently converting traffic if I used a decent gallery. That's really the main ingredient for a successful gallery posting.

I wouldn't say the Hun has bad traffic. I just wouldn't go with cookie cutter stuff on there. If you have the right gallery on the Hun, you can get your signups.

Mister X
03-27-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by McAttack
I wouldn't say the Hun has bad traffic. I just wouldn't go with cookie cutter stuff on there. If you have the right gallery on the Hun, you can get your signups. Nahh. Any way you look at it he has bad traffic. You can make signups but you need a good server with a good connection and you need to be paying a nice low rate for bandwidth. I've known several guys who gave the hun a shot and ended up way in debt because they went over bandwidth. And certainly the conversion rates are significantly lower for his traffic.

Vid Vicious
03-27-2003, 12:52 PM
Macattack .. I didn't know you did galleries and tgp traffic? That's real cool .. we defenfintaly have to hook upthis week brother .. I'll call you late today

Titus
03-27-2003, 01:18 PM
Never had a ton of luck with tgp banners but they are very good for 'exposure'. As for gallery spots, our program is very new but it's doing under 1:300 in what would normally be paid spots (we managed to work deals with a few large MGP/TGP owners) so we're certainly very pleased. But it is wild, as Shemp alluded to, to see that - for example - our asian, teen, and celebrity galleries pull 4-5x the click-thrus of our facials, ebony, and other galleries. So niche is also a consideration when preparing to submit paid spots on 'general' traffic posts.

- Titus