PDA

View Full Version : MySpace mom's conviction thrown out

Janell
07-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Lori Drew was accused of breaking federal law last year after helping to orchestrate a MySpace hoax that left a neighbor's child dead. Now, a judge has overturned her convictions, saying that the law in question doesn't apply to mere terms of service violations.

Drew's story is, by now, familiar: Concerned that her daughter Sara was being badmouthed by a former friend, 13-year-old Megan Meier, Drew took protective parenting way too far. Together with Sara and an employee, Drew created a MySpace account for a fictional teen boy, "Josh Evans," who would extract evidence of Megan's trash talk. But after luring the girl in with flirtatious banter, the prank took a crueler turn, and "Josh" unleashed a barrage of vicious insults—publishing a number of Megan's intimate messages to salt the wound. The sudden betrayal proved too much for Megan, who had a history of depression: The girl hanged herself in her closet on an October afternoon in 2006.

WOW

student4ever
07-02-2009, 07:33 PM
I don't even know what to think about that... she may be off the hook from a legal sense, but it seems clear that she is responsible for the death of the girl.

Let's not even get into the thoughts of what type of 'parent' would even remotely consider that type of action in the first place?! and some think that people working in adult set a poor example... :bonk:

SexArise! Chick
07-02-2009, 07:38 PM
That's a screwed up mom. What the hell is she teaching her kid?

Tammy

oceania
07-03-2009, 10:27 AM
it is sad all the way around - the poor parents of the girl that hung herself must have always known something awful would happen and the idiot mom that pushed the buttons - has to live with this for the rest of her life.

i know i couldnt - could you?

student4ever
07-03-2009, 02:46 PM
it is sad all the way around - the poor parents of the girl that hung herself must have always known something awful would happen and the idiot mom that pushed the buttons - has to live with this for the rest of her life.

i know i couldnt - could you?

heard an interview this morning with the mother of the dead girl. She had a pretty amazing attitude about it - said something to the effect of, didn't matter if the woman was behind bars or not, she knew she was in prison mentally for what she had done.

12ClicksMichele
07-06-2009, 08:39 AM
I think it was a shame they could only charge her with the lesser charges they did. She is as responsible for that child's death if she had tied that noose herself. I hope she never has a moments piece for the rest of her life.

Panky
07-06-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm wondering if Lori Drew even has a conscience.

dyonisus
07-07-2009, 09:49 PM
is there not laws against an adult pretending to be a child and flirting with a child? Parents make things worse all the time.

My girls 11 yr old brother was playing basketball. He is on the school basketball team. In a tournament last winter, parents complained he was too tall too old (too good - he is a great shot) and had him ejected from the final game based on that. The kid left the court crying because how was he to understand he coudl not play the championship game because the other team thought he was 1 yr too old to play with the younger kids

apples and oranges I know but goes to show

student4ever
07-08-2009, 01:03 PM
is there not laws against an adult pretending to be a child and flirting with a child? Parents make things worse all the time.

My girls 11 yr old brother was playing basketball. He is on the school basketball team. In a tournament last winter, parents complained he was too tall too old (too good - he is a great shot) and had him ejected from the final game based on that. The kid left the court crying because how was he to understand he coudl not play the championship game because the other team thought he was 1 yr too old to play with the younger kids

apples and oranges I know but goes to show

no, I see the correlation and totally agree. I see it all the time with kids sports and other youth activities. Parents that only want to 'help' their own kids or 'defend' their kids. Be a friggn parent and be there for your kid, but NOT by teaching them destructive behavior!

I'm actually a little shocked that the league officials allowed the kid to be taken out of the line up. My son has always been VERY big for his age and been subject to those types of questions. Every league we've been involved with has kept enough records to keep the other parents quiet.

Cyndalie
07-08-2009, 01:26 PM
http://www.cyberbullyalert.com/blog/2008/10/cyber-bullying-state-laws-and-policies/

What state did that take place in?

This will soon be federal law. Cyberbullying does infringe on free speech to an extent, but in cases of harassment people need some protection.