PDA

View Full Version : 1 story or 2 story houses - which do you prefer?

Cyndalie
07-14-2009, 11:54 AM
1 story or 2 story houses - which do you prefer?

I like having a second story and a basement, I never had that growing up in Florida. I do wish the laundry was on the main floor. They need to bring dumbwaiters and laundry shoots back!

student4ever
07-14-2009, 01:30 PM
They need to bring dumbwaiters and laundry shoots back!

that's what kids are for! :laughout:

Most of the houses I've lived in have been two story, so likely that plays into my preference. In general, I'll take a two story.

TheLegacy
07-14-2009, 01:39 PM
I do prefer 2 story homes to separate living space from sleeping - also good place to get away from kids who can't climb yet :)

Yet honestly for me when I walk into a home no matter how many stories it may have - it's all about feeling at home. Can I survive with the kitchen? Do I like the master bedroom and attached bathroom as a get away? Is the backyard big enough for kids to play and relax? Is the neighborhood close to shopping etc?

SexArise! Chick
07-14-2009, 08:24 PM
I prefer 2 story houses. Stairs mean more exercise.

Tammy

Rochard
07-15-2009, 01:45 AM
I don't think it matters much to me, but all of my houses have had multiple floors. I grew up in a ranch home with a full un-furnished basement.

I moved to California and then Arizona, and in both states basements are not common.

I have a two floor house, with my home office and all of the bedrooms upstairs. We also have two garages with professionally installed flooring; The second garage operates as a "second outdoor playroom" for my kid.

Evil Chris
07-15-2009, 10:23 AM
I prefer homes with a basement and two floors. Main and upstairs.
Even if I were building a home in say, Phoenix, I would have a basement installed if possible.

I like bungalows too, however. The modern ones are beautiful. They're just not as practical if you have kids since everything happens on the main floor (usually).

12ClicksMichele
07-15-2009, 11:04 AM
I had owned a ranch house with a half finished basement for years. I realized I prefer 2 floors with a basement if possible. There is something about that separation with stairs that just gives you more a feel of a private area.

born2blog
07-15-2009, 10:33 PM
2 story homes for sure with a nicely furnished basement

Elli
07-17-2009, 02:30 PM
I always grew up in 2 story houses, so the layout makes more sense to me that way. I did have a split level once though that I loved sooo much. You walked in on the main floor with kitchen, living, room, dining room, then down 5 steps to the laundry, rec room, back door, or up 5 steps to the bedrooms.

Evil Chris
07-17-2009, 04:54 PM
I always grew up in 2 story houses, so the layout makes more sense to me that way. I did have a split level once though that I loved sooo much. You walked in on the main floor with kitchen, living, room, dining room, then down 5 steps to the laundry, rec room, back door, or up 5 steps to the bedrooms.We lived in a split level for a few years when I was still living at home.

Stairs everywhere you go in the house. It was a front to back split. Some of the newer side-split homes have excellent layouts.

Elli
07-17-2009, 05:21 PM
We lived in a split level for a few years when I was still living at home.

Stairs everywhere you go in the house. It was a front to back split. Some of the newer side-split homes have excellent layouts.
I prefer the stairs, actually. My friend's parents have a sprawling rancher (3500sqft) and it feels like a rabbit warren, although it's laid out very well.

Danny
07-17-2009, 05:56 PM
We have a large 2 story home now, which is great with 3 kids in the house. It gives us the space to get away from one another! But once the kids are finally gone, we'll probably move to a smaller bungalow (with a full basement, of course)

Evil Chris
07-17-2009, 08:28 PM
We have a large 2 story home now, which is great with 3 kids in the house. It gives us the space to get away from one another! But once the kids are finally gone, we'll probably move to a smaller bungalow (with a full basement, of course)I like the style of your home. There are a lot like that around the West Island. What's cool about it is you can escape and get privacy if you need it, and we all do sometimes.

But cleaning it is another story! :scram:

LizAEBN
07-24-2009, 08:52 AM
I love a split level, but have always lived in a single-level space. In fact, other than two apartments, I've always lived on the ground floor, now that I think about it.

RD_Shane
07-27-2009, 06:03 PM
I've always lived in shoebox houses so I have a thing for large 2 story houses with partially finished basements. My dad lives with us and he needs the unfinished space for his studio (he's a sculptor).

I've been looking into houses here and it seems that there are a ton of them available for pretty reasonable prices, so I'm hoping to buy in the next year or so.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">