PDA

View Full Version : Mackenzie Phillips: I had sex with my dad

TheLegacy
09-23-2009, 11:51 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/22/mackenzie.phillips.oprah/index.html

(CNN) -- Actress Mackenzie Phillips reveals she had a long-term incestuous relationship with her famous father, musician John Philips, in a tell-all memoir, according to People.com, which obtained an advance copy of her book.

Actress Mackenzie Phillips reportedly reveals a family secret to Oprah Winfrey.

Phillips, the 49-year-old former child star and daughter of the Mamas and the Papas founder John Phillips, says she had sex with her father the night before she was to marry Jeff Sessler, a member of the Rolling Stones entourage, in 1979, according to People.com.

"On the eve of my wedding, my father showed up, determined to stop it," writes Phillips, who was 19 at the time and a heavy drug user, according to People.com. "I had tons of pills, and Dad had tons of everything too. Eventually I passed out on Dad's bed."

Phillips, best known as Julie Cooper on the sitcom "One Day at a Time," says the sexual relationship became consensual as her life began to spiral out of control.

Eventually, she and her father went to rehab together and she later toured with him in a band called the New Mamas and the Papas, according to People.com.

"I was a fragment of a person, and my secret isolated me," she writes, according to People.com. "One night Dad said, 'We could just run away to a country where no one would look down on us. There are countries where this is an accepted practice. Maybe Fiji.' "

Phillips will reportedly unleash the secret she has kept to herself for 31 years in an interview on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" scheduled to air Wednesday. Phillips' book, "High on Arrival," comes out the same day.

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/wp-content/post_images/082708-phillips.jpg

http://wwwimage.cbsnews.com/images/2001/03/18/image279697g.jpg

http://i.rollingstone.com/assets/rs/9/2591/images/00107264.jpg

Ok, sex drugs and rock-roll at it's best.

I was not surprised that this happened and knew deep down but doing it at 19 with your dad before you're getting married adds a whole new level of sick to this family. I saw them both in concert with Momma's and the Poppa's a few years back and felt a strong flashback.

Sad that we all glorify celeb's and need to know this information (or they feel we need to know). I prefer just seeing their work on screen rather than know their personal lives which affect my entertainment

dyonisus
09-23-2009, 03:33 PM
There is always a reason for someone who abuses or is abusing drugs and alcohol to the detriment of their life. If you read the excerpt correctly, the night before her wedding she was in a drug haze and "passed out on Dad's bed". (suggesting the "known" first encounter was probably not consensual) It was not until later she confesses it became consensual.

"new level of sick to this family" suggest she is like Scott Peterson, Jeffrey Dahmer or the likes. How about sympathy for a 49 yr old woman who has lived with the shame and guilt of her past, a past filled w/ a sick level of abuse at the hands of a man she probably worshiped as a child.

It is sad that as a people we glorify others tragedies, specifically those of celebrities. People in the spotlight can suffer horrific lives just as much as anyone can. They are also subject to way more judgment and scrutiny then the average Joe.

In this instance her father should be labelled the sick one and hopefully by her finally finding the courage to speak out after 30 yrs, she is helping herself heal and encouraging others who faced similar abuse to find their inner strength.

TheLegacy
09-23-2009, 06:09 PM
I actually watched her on Oprah just now - stating that she doesn't remember if it was the first time - but that later on over a period of 10yr's it continued even with her consent. It wasn't until she got pregnant and wondered if the baby could actually be her dad's that she ended the incest at 29.

Extremely sad and a life that I have not worthy or wise enough to comment on - only stand in amazement and say, "there but by the grace of god go I"

adultebusiness
09-24-2009, 02:34 AM
That is one sick family.

Danny
09-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Don't believe it at all. It's just a good way to sell books and make some money. After all, Dad's not around anymore to defend himself!

She has spent the last 20 years, off and on, "selling her stories" about what happened back in the day with drugs and sex. She then recants, and a few years later, starts the cycle again.

Rochard
09-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Fucking Sick.

adultebusiness
09-25-2009, 05:19 AM
she won't be keeping her mouth shut and her hand tied because she's getting the attention, the money and the drugs of course.

TheLegacy
09-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Damn, I hate watching Oprah but apparently a member of the band backed up Mackenzie's story about the fathers abuse on the road. Either way - hopefully some kids will now speak up against those who abused them when they were younger and not fear recourse or backlash. That's my hope.

GOD
09-28-2009, 03:28 PM
A family that plays together .... stays together :)

adultebusiness
09-29-2009, 11:26 PM
was that in Australia where this guy fucks all his kids and locks them off in the basement?