PDA

View Full Version : Buy Content or Produce Your Own

dyonisus
10-23-2009, 07:08 PM
What are the pros and cons to both?

We have decided to try a mix of both when we release our new sites and program in January 2010.

The benefits of creating a regular production schedule of exclusive content according to our own creative stylings was irresistible. We have a very specific look and feel we are looking at for each site and that is hard to find.

Of course it is so much simpler and faster to buy from Matrix or WWC or the likes.

The cons to producing our own content so far have been finding the right models, getting the ones we do find to show up on time and act professional.

thoughts?

TheLegacy
10-24-2009, 12:10 PM
If you're going to make it yourself, be creative so that there is something unique about it.
There are many good photographers out there (Vid), and when you buy - understand your market and surfers to know this is what THEY want to see or it's just filler

Rochard
10-24-2009, 08:54 PM
If your not a decent photographer, don't even bother.

TheLegacy
10-25-2009, 09:48 AM
If your not a decent photographer, don't even bother.

That's a matter of someone else's opinion - every photographer with a girl in front of them thinks they are meant to work for playboy. So if a photographer isn't good, how do they know enough to change what's wrong with them?

dyonisus
10-26-2009, 01:02 PM
A "decent photographer" as determined by who? That info was not really useful at all.

Quality of imagery is a subjective matter. Having been in the industry for near 10 yrs, I have seen my fair share of great, moderate and crap imagery, all of which appear together in the members area's of leading programs. Why does the crap and moderate sell? Because everyone's idea of what looks good differs.

The post was never really about who the photographer would be, it was about learning the experiences of companies who have taken creative control and produced their own content and those who have used only licensed content.

I agree on one thing. Vid does shoot some really good stuff! An artist.

Vid Vicious
10-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Thank YOU !!!!

http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs51/f/2009/294/6/b/Gag_Slut_2_by_vidvicious.jpg

2MuchMark
10-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Producing your own content is fun! Even if you're not a pro at it, I still suggest you try it out. I started snapping simple shots years ago with a cheap camera, but the more I do it, the more I like it, the more I enjoy it, and the more I get exactly what I want.

I say, do both! Content is cheap enough to buy, and the experience you gain shooting your own will be valuable later.

Cheers!