PDA

View Full Version : Any great dane or weimaraner dog owners in the house?

Visualad
11-09-2009, 06:29 AM
Im looking at getting either a great dane or a weimaraner.

I love the impressive size and look of a great dane, and the weimaraner is one of the most beautiful type of dogs.

Weimaraner is also a bit rare (I dont see them very often really) so thats a cool thing. ;-)

But im getting mixed feedback on owning weimaraners. Some say they really need to be on the country side, doing hunting , etc.. Some say they will do just fine in the city. Also hearing that they can be tricky in discipline..

Great Dane is supposed to be alot easier to handle, and they also seem to require alot less exercise.

Anyone here own/used to own any of these two that can give any feedback regarding them?

Thanks in advance! :-)

Funbrunette
11-09-2009, 07:39 AM
I've owned 3 weimaraners in my life and they were wonderful dogs! You need to know those dogs are used for pointing, retrieving and tracking. So it can sometimes be an issue in offleash areas if your dog isn't trained properly. Start training him/her as a puppy and you should be good!

I miss my old pal Max, probably the most loyal dog I've had the pleasure to care for.

http://www.321dogs.com/pictures/weimaraner_2.jpg Great looking pups!

Let us know what you decide! :)

Visualad
11-09-2009, 09:55 AM
I've owned 3 weimaraners in my life and they were wonderful dogs! You need to know those dogs are used for pointing, retrieving and tracking. So it can sometimes be an issue in offleash areas if your dog isn't trained properly. Start training him/her as a puppy and you should be good!

I miss my old pal Max, probably the most loyal dog I've had the pleasure to care for.

http://www.321dogs.com/pictures/weimaraner_2.jpg Great looking pups!

Let us know what you decide! :)

yeah.. Ive been wanting a weimaraner for years now. Since my much loved cat died this summer (RIP), I can now take on a new dog.

Only thing keeping me so far is that some say they wont do that good IN the city. But im an active guy that goes to the gym and runs, etc.. So I would give it exercise. Just cant give it a FOREST for it to hunt in.. ;-)

Also weimaraners are so hard to buy... Not many good breeders around.. But im trying.