PDA

View Full Version : Best movie of 2009...the envelope please

rhetorical
03-09-2010, 12:29 AM
Hands down.....Inglorious Basterds

NBBCash Matze
03-09-2010, 06:43 AM
was a great movie indeed, but also very entertaining (for me) was the movie Terminator Salvation, great action scenes, good actors and some awesome sound effects. I liked it, my fav 2009! Inglorious Basterds gets rank2 for me. :)

Funbrunette
03-09-2010, 07:24 AM
I'm going to go with Avatar! :xthumbs:

MediaGuy
03-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Meh... "The Academy" has always strayed from the unusual, funky or overly imaginative.

Lord Of The Rings is the only fantasy/sci-fi they ever gave a best picture to (Star Wars lost to Annie Hall - an honorable but nonetheless predictable move).

As good as The Hurt Locker was, it nonetheless stayed within the acceptable classical Hollywood realism bracket, and strayed from politics entirely in favor of the "maverick" character narrative that for me kinda made the last part of the movie completely unbelievable - but still a good story heheh.

:D

Evil Chris
03-09-2010, 09:57 AM
I liked Inglorious, but best movie? Naaa.
Best scene in that movie was the bar sequence.

Worst thing was the horribly stupid accent they gave Brad Pitt, which he could barely do to begin with. They should have just let him speak in his own natural voice. It would have been much more believable.

My fave from 2009 was Avatar.

Cyndalie
03-09-2010, 11:53 AM
I thought IB was kind of lame, it wasn't half as gruesome as Reservoir dogs.

MediaGuy
03-09-2010, 12:49 PM
I liked Inglorious, but best movie? Naaa.
Best scene in that movie was the bar sequence.

Worst thing was the horribly stupid accent they gave Brad Pitt, which he could barely do to begin with. They should have just let him speak in his own natural voice. It would have been much more believable.

My fave from 2009 was Avatar.

Actually he sounded exactly like a Tennessee mountain boy who learned his better english through reading rather than conversing with urbanized cosmopolites.

I know it's a very unusual accent, but i've heard thicker and harsher.

It was better than most "southern" accents put up by actors and movies who haven't done any research, as if all southern/south-east US accents are the same - now *that* is annoying and something I've had to learn to overlook in movies since I've gone to and met people from those states and regions.

I have yet to see Avatar sigh...

I know, for shame...

Cyndalie
03-09-2010, 01:06 PM
I didn't see Avatar, it's just so hard getting to the movies. I get like 3 date nights out a year.

rhetorical
03-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Meh... "The Academy" has always strayed from the unusual, funky or overly imaginative.

Lord Of The Rings is the only fantasy/sci-fi they ever gave a best picture to (Star Wars lost to Annie Hall - an honorable but nonetheless predictable move).

As good as The Hurt Locker was, it nonetheless stayed within the acceptable classical Hollywood realism bracket, and strayed from politics entirely in favor of the "maverick" character narrative that for me kinda made the last part of the movie completely unbelievable - but still a good story heheh.

There is an HBO series called "Generation Kill" that is a lot like the Hurt Locker. I saw it way before the movie came out. It is six hours and pretty good if you like the new gen war movie.

plugin
03-12-2010, 05:05 PM
I don't understand how you guys can not like District 9. It's one of my favorite movies

MediaGuy
03-12-2010, 06:30 PM
There is an HBO series called "Generation Kill" that is a lot like the Hurt Locker. I saw it way before the movie came out. It is six hours and pretty good if you like the new gen war movie.

The title makes it ... not your typical Bushite Iraq Rah-Rah war narrative, I presume?

MediaGuy
03-12-2010, 06:35 PM
I don't understand how you guys can not like District 9. It's one of my favorite movies

I loved District 9 - both in how it used the already-tired reality-cam and gradually went into a third-person POV, and their use of "alien" aliens, if you know what I mean... and the CG was amazing. I caught myself wondering how that head alien's vest held with duct tape when he moved so abruptly :P

Glad it was nominated.

rhetorical
03-13-2010, 11:15 AM
The title makes it ... not your typical Bushite Iraq Rah-Rah war narrative, I presume?

Not at all. Its kinda like Robert Altman meets Ridley Scott.

Elias
03-20-2010, 09:07 AM
District 9 definitely. Not that impressed with Hurt Locker. Nice visuals, but the idea itself and the style of the movie are no Oscar-type imo.

gameboykk1
03-25-2010, 02:25 AM
I thought IB was kind of lame, it wasn't half as gruesome as Reservoir dogs.

chrisjoseph
03-25-2010, 06:16 PM
I love district 9 as well. :) awesome movie.