PDA

View Full Version : RIP Cross Sales

cthulhu_waves
04-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Now, it appears cross sales will die a slow painful death if Visa can do anything about it. Will this hurt the industry even further or improve it?

SAN FRANCISCO — Visa on Tuesday tightened the screws on companies involved in cross sales.

Online companies will no longer be able to allow third parties to charge a customer's card without the card owner re-entering credit card information, Visa said Tuesday.

Visa says that such marketing can result in "high levels of consumer disputes and degrades the efficiency, reliability and security of the payment system." It said that 35 million consumers have paid $1.4 billion for such marketing offers.

Visa's new requirement is designed to send a "clear signal to cardholders that a second purchase is being initiated and protects them from questionable marketing practices," the company said in a statement.

A source close to Visa told XBIZ that the new policy goes into effect May 1. The source said Visa could impose fines against merchant banks that continue to work with sites that flout the new policy. The merchant banks also could face a loss in the ability to accept Visa payments.

Reaction from adult billing companies was tempered by that the fact that most were predicting a clampdown on cross sales.

Read the entire article here (http://www.xbiz.com/news/120013).

Evil Chris
04-28-2010, 01:05 PM
What hurts the industry isn't cross sales. It's the misuse of cross sales.

It's also the inflation of payouts, increase in free content, and the general all-around hand-holding of lazy webmasters who don't want to do anything but get paid.

Did I say all that out loud? ;)

Kenny B
04-28-2010, 01:22 PM
From what I've heard internal x-sells or using and IPSP like Epoch or CCBill is fine. We'll see what effect this has on certain people, most won't be affected.

Evil Chris
04-28-2010, 06:46 PM
What always made me laugh are how some webmasters called cross sales a "traffic leak".
Once they learned that term, it started to get applied to anything.

cthulhu_waves
04-29-2010, 12:20 PM
You guys think this development would help everyone in the long haul?