PDA

View Full Version : School board member needs help.

rumana
04-18-2012, 08:31 AM
I too have recently run or school board in a district from which I recently retired. Although my school is doing "well" according to the state, the reality is much different. I ran in hopes of reforming the academic program in my district. I have been told by my former administrators that kids do not need to know how to write a decent sentence, paragraph,or composition, nor do they need to know how to do arithmetic, nor spell well nor know anything about history. When I asked the purpose of the school, I received no answer. The assistant superintendent, said the knowledge deficits I see were important int he 20th century, but are not needed for the 21st century. The board members with whom I have shared my concerns do not care either. So we will have 5 of nine new members come January. Hopefully then change will be coming. That is what you will need to do is get a majority. It may take another election cycle, but there is no other choice. You can only be responsible for your own vote and the only other option is to woo other members behind the scenes. We hope to get a majority right away. The members of the community here are fed up with the district's policies. It is my hope that since 40 states have adopted the common core standards, we will have the opportunity to adopt the Core Knowledge Sequence in my district. I now teach part time at a community college and I see the failure of all the schools in my county. These young people are frightfully ignorant of so much it is staggering. The remedial courses are over loaded.
Be of good cheer and don't give up the fight.