PDA

View Full Version : Experienced Webmasters Only!!! ;-)

machoman
05-31-2003, 04:39 PM
I am interested in finding out what kind of results some of the more experienced webmasters have when using more than just one processor.

Also interested in hearing from the ones NOT using more than one and the reasoning behind it.

Mister X
06-01-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by machoman

Also interested in hearing from the ones NOT using more than one and the reasoning behind it. We're only using one processor at the moment. The reasoning is simple. We're not ready to start writing checks to webmasters yet. And it costs another 750 bucks to add a processor, plus software costs. A couple of months from now it might be a different story. The mpa2 software that everyone is talking about looks pretty damn sweet.

machoman
06-09-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Mister X
We're only using one processor at the moment. The reasoning is simple. We're not ready to start writing checks to webmasters yet. And it costs another 750 bucks to add a processor, plus software costs. A couple of months from now it might be a different story. The mpa2 software that everyone is talking about looks pretty damn sweet.

in that case, would you recommend iBill?

oystein
06-15-2003, 10:27 PM
http://www.gofuckyourself.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114166

Check this one out and you will find all the answers you need for this thread :bonk:

raiyu
06-17-2003, 03:41 AM
You never really need a second processor unless you are doing a ton of CGI or the number of active apaches serving requests gets more than your current server can handle. Just check out your load average and cpu states, if you have 98% free and loads are below 1 you are no where needing another processor. The other things which can bottleneck performance are your RAM, you will notice heavy swap usage when its time to upgrade, or I/O of your harddrive/motherboard, very rare especially if you are using SCSI. Plus by the time you have I/O problems you would probably first encounter other issues.

And if you get charged $750 for a new processor you are getting ripped, unless of course you are getting a second Xeon 2.4ghz. And unless you are running Linux and reprogramming your stuff for threads there shouldnt be any software costs associated with the upgrade.

oystein
06-17-2003, 11:21 AM
raiyu - This thread was about credit card processors, not CPU processors :)

No harm done though - good to know what you said anyways ;)

raiyu
06-17-2003, 02:16 PM
Haha my bad it was a long night :bonk:

wolfie
06-18-2003, 08:00 PM
Dudes,
The biggest mistake anybody can make is to only use 1 biller.

Facts:
# each biller has a different Blacklist and checks cc details againt it
# each biller uses a different alogrithm / fraud script
# each biller scrubs differently
# US & EU based billers take different approach to fraud detection
# now that Paypal is not available, it just strengthens the case for multiple billers
# a surfer who wants to sign up might fail the test at 1 biller, but often get though on another
# we use billers in US / Germany / Switzerland & regularly find that a new sale has been generated after a surfer has been rejected by 1 or other of the other billers

Observations:
# a P2P payment option should be available on a site.
I have used it for over a year now, but have just had my account with paypal frozen. Cost me 1/third of my business & I pull a reasonable 6 figure sum in a year.
Problem is, there is no replacement for paypal, they were far too big for any competition.
The alternatives I've seen are not viable, nobody has heard of then 'cos paypal was so big / scripts are sketchy & unproven / complicated ways to add funds to your account that surfers will not bother with / most of them are based offshore, outside US banking regulations / etc.
# I think that visa's eP will be a great asset when it's problems are finally ironed out.
It is a 'virtual debit card' & can't be used unless it has funds in it / it has the brand recognition od VISA / takes 2 minutes to set up an account online & transfer funds, no more waiting a week to verify banking & cc details / eP can not be chargedback as the PIN # you use 'proves' YOU made the transaction / you can accept payments from the currently 'banned countrys' / it can be used globally & totally anonymously / no worries about the wife finding out where the housekeeping money is going !
We are pushing it as a P2P option but don't expect any plusses before the end of the year.

One our EU billers scrubs frantically for the first week of every month, greatest sales volume throughout the EU & thus the time of greatest fraud. [[ Think of Visionbill & DutchBilling charge back problems last month. No, we don't use them. ]]
Probably trying to stay below the 1.9 visa rule. Sales then immediately jump 400% and remain roughly at that level for the rest of the month. True story.

Anybody else wilth similar experiences ?

TheTaoOfSexology
06-18-2003, 10:45 PM
I believe in using multiple processors. Problem is finding ones that are reliable, and trustworthy. I used to Ibill and Globill (www.globill-systems.com/cgi-bin/webms/referral.cgi?parent=194917). Now I only use Globill (www.globill-systems.com/cgi-bin/webms/referral.cgi?parent=194917)

Ibill $)@$* me on my web900 and started charging $750. Can we say DMR?? That's old school for you newbies, I lost a pretty penny on those crooks too. CCBill I would not trust them as far as I can throw them and ACPaysystems seems disorganized. Plus all those other processors are sticking webmasters with a minimum $750.00 fee.

Globill (www.globill-systems.com/cgi-bin/webms/referral.cgi?parent=194917) does not have this fee. They process all cc transactions off shore avoiding the US based cc restrictions.

Surprisingly ACPaysystems tried to jump on this bandwagon and charge webmasters the $750 fee even thouh they are not subject to Visa's ruling on this matter as they are based in the UK.

I have heard horror stories about Probilling and a few others. If anyone has a referral link to a processor that is reliable trustworthy and is not charging setup fees feel free to share it with me as I have numerous sites that will generate a pretty penny/commission.

wolfie
06-19-2003, 03:11 AM
TheTOS, I hear 'ya.
I used to use iBill in '95 before they started going flakey.
Decided to move to Lancelot. Excellent decision. Lost bucks when they went under through CP chargebacks.
Moved to CCbill & was quite happy with them / customer service till the visa extortion last september.
Because I live in the Asia Pacific region they dropped me. To this day they have never bothered to summons the common decency to let me know that they will not be processing for my company anymore.
Only lost $500 in sales they refused to pay me. Emails not answered, or responded to, even one I sent to Corvette that he said he passed on to the correct person. Lost 18 months worth of rebillers.
ACpay were excellent when I first started with them but unanswerd emails are the order of the day now. Even emails about deliberate fraud on my affiliate program! Includes logs & screencaps from Password Sentry proving access to the members area that the scamers said they could not access.
June 15th they charged all their webmasters $350 to weed out the 'non-serious ones'. Charming.
It was a PR nightmare for them as they were silly enough to try to pass it of as a visa thing. Eventually they admitted it was unrelated to visa.
They copped heaps of flack on the boards.
I use Globill but they scrub pretty dam hard & sales are quite erratic with them.
Ginix is excellent. Top notch. Any email is responded to within the hour, their engineer is shit hot with server hassles, customer service could not be better. I would recommend them to anybody.
GloboSALE has been good so far as has Verotel.

TheTaoOfSexology
06-19-2003, 03:34 AM
You have a link for them? Do they charge setup/Visa fees?

wolfie
06-19-2003, 04:26 AM
TheTOS, I hear 'ya.
I used to use iBill in '95 before they started going flakey.
Decided to move to Lancelot. Excellent decision. Lost bucks when they went under through CP chargebacks.
Moved to CCbill & was quite happy with them / customer service till the visa extortion last september.
Because I live in the Asia Pacific region they dropped me. To this day they have never bothered to summons the common decency to let me know that they will not be processing for my company anymore.
Only lost $500 in sales they refused to pay me. Emails not answered, or responded to, even one I sent to Corvette that he said he passed on to the correct person. Lost 18 months worth of rebillers.
ACpay were excellent when I first started with them but unanswerd emails are the order of the day now. Even emails about deliberate fraud on my affiliate program! Includes logs & screencaps from Password Sentry proving access to the members area that the scamers said they could not access.
June 15th they charged all their webmasters $350 to weed out the 'non-serious ones'. Charming.
It was a PR nightmare for them as they were silly enough to try to pass it of as a visa thing. Eventually they admitted it was unrelated to visa.
They copped heaps of flack on the boards.
I use Globill but they scrub pretty dam hard & sales are quite erratic with them.
Ginix is excellent. Top notch. Any email is responded to within the hour, their engineer is shit hot with server hassles, customer service could not be better. I would recommend them to anybody.
GloboSALE has been good so far as has Verotel.

wolfie
06-19-2003, 04:33 AM
TheTOS,

Email: song@ginix.com

They charge 9.5%
No set up fees
No visa extortion

Email me if you want any more info:

webmaster@vertikkostudios.com

PS. Sorry for the double post-- a bit fast on the trigger I guess.
EvilChris, you can cut it if you want.

oystein
06-19-2003, 11:40 AM
The solution to all these issues is MPA2 (http://www.mansionproductions.com/mpa2.html) - Multiple processors in a true cascading environment AND Mansion Productions will pay the VISA fees for you if you use the program.

Killer deal, plenty of diversity and full control over your processing and business.

:)