PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good Marketing person?

TheHarvMan
05-31-2003, 08:44 PM
With all that is going on, in an effort to market new sites, I wanted to find out from you the Webmasters. Traffic drivers, and fellow Content providers. What is it about a marketing person that MAKES YOU WANT TO PROMOTE THEIR SITE or Affiliate program over another?

Cyndalie
06-01-2003, 11:47 AM
Expertise, focus, reputation, and experience.

Carrie
06-01-2003, 12:27 PM
It's not the marketing person - it's the program itself.
What kind of payment structures do they have?
What methods of payout do they use?
How frequently do they pay?
What is the minimum payout amount?
Do their sites look good?
Is there any devious marketing in their signup pages (ie you think you're getting charged $29.95 but in all reality you're getting charged $29.95 PLUS $39.95 to another site as a "bonus" that you only find out about if you hunt down a tiny -2 font text link or view your cc statement).
Does their promo material match their sites?
If they have video content on the site, is any of this video content available to webmasters for promotional use?
Which processor(s) is the program using?
Who is running the program?

It doesn't matter who your marketing person is - you could have Zig Zigler as your marketer and it wouldn't change any of the above questions nor make your program any more appealing... it's the answers to the questions that count.

CumSensei
06-01-2003, 12:54 PM
Honesty agains your customers...thats all ya need.

12clicks
06-01-2003, 04:11 PM
I believe its my good looks and guinea charm that makes the difference.
;)

McAttack
06-02-2003, 12:05 AM
Like Carrie said, the program is the most important thing itself, but that being said if I have a choice between two companies, and I'm talked too by two different reps, I want someone that I can talk to and havea real conversation with. I don't want a Yes person, I don't want a typical sales person. I want to be able to talk about other things than the biz if something does come up. Not that I want to share life stories, but I don't mind getting a bit of an answer if I ask a person "What'd you do this weekend?".

If both suck at this, then whatever. I go by my judgement and who I trust more. I'm a fairly good judge of character and my instincts about people are usually right within the first 5 minutes of meeting someone.

Easton
06-02-2003, 12:07 AM
big tits and an open bar... :D

j/k guys

oystein
06-02-2003, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Cyndalie
Expertise, focus, reputation, and experience.

Hear hear... and not to mention :respect:

Mister X
06-02-2003, 11:06 AM
The biggest thing that marketing people do to piss me off: make promises and not follow through on them.

I've been dealing with a company lately that has really abysmal service. So we call up the marketing guy and he says "That will be fixed right away." A few days later it still isn't fixed and again he says "That'll be fixed right away." And it goes on and on.

I wasn't going to mention the company name but what the hell... it's iBill. Being a Canadian company we were signed up with iBill Europe so that we could accept Visa. They phased that out and we had to spend the cash to get a US LLC going. We had the stuff ahead of the deadline and gave iBill the info but after 10 days we are still processing through iBill Europe instead of the US division, even though it says on the pay page that we are a US based company. So we STILL don't have Visa.

A marketing guy that has absolutely zero input with the people that actually do the work is worse than useless. And when he tells you that something will be done and it isn't, it certainly doesn't make you have any confidence in the company he represents.