PDA

View Full Version : Why do people Hack?

Funbrunette
07-01-2003, 01:04 PM
I don't get it... :huh: It's just plain nasty and it causes so much trouble! If I had the skills I'd put them to good use!

They usually always end up getting caught anyways!

AcidMaX
07-01-2003, 01:52 PM
Keep in mind that some people just like to create havoc and be the center of attention. Sometimes its children and somtimes its grownups who have the mentallity of a child.

There are also different types of hackers. There are the script kiddies that just basically learn how to do DDOS attacks and cause problems like what happen on GFY.

Then there are hackers that do it for money by stealing it or getting information, these guys definitely would not out themselves and do something stupid like the recent knuckleheads are doing.

Then there are the ethical hackers that actually do thinks to be productive. Whether it is to test systems or to go after terrorist organizations.

There are many different ways to hack and it just depends on the mentallity of the hacker. Most are kids, most of the good ones you will never hear about until they get arrested. (Kevin Mitnick, Kim Schmidt(sp?))

Andy

Danny_C
07-01-2003, 06:43 PM
I've said it many times...

Hacking is a way for nerds to trick themselves into thinking they're cool, without leaving the comfort of their bedrooms at their mom's house.

StuartD
07-01-2003, 09:42 PM
ooh.... dangerous. Don't be calling a script kiddie a hacker too loudly. Hacker's don't take too kindly to that.

A script kiddie takes a script that has already been written, and modifies it a bit to work to their needs and then puts it into irc chat room or news groups for people to download and run... thus giving the script kiddie a back door into their machine.
There's no real hacking involved.

Performing a DDOS on a server does not give you access to the server.. you get no info out of it. So it's not really hacking... sure it costs lots of money to the server, but there's no real hacking involved.

Funbrunette
07-01-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by Danny_C

Hacking is a way for nerds to trick themselves into thinking they're cool, without leaving the comfort of their bedrooms at their mom's house.

Hehehehe! Well said! :laughout:

wsjb78
07-02-2003, 08:25 AM
As mentioned above hacking doesn't need to be bad...

There was a case last year where hackers broke into Tiscali (Switzerland) servers. They were so kind and sent the admins and webmasters an email with info on how they got in....
Anyway, two months later, the same hacker just turned 500 business sites down. They were just renaming all index files and replace them with a notice that Tiscali has been warned about the security hole but that they didn't took any measures to close it...

I think hacker's that just break into system for the fun of the challenge are cool... but altering data is something I don't like to. In the above case everything could be restored with a few commands,,,

keyDet79
07-02-2003, 09:02 AM
Mitnick wasn't all that good, he got busted after all :)
I've read rumours about him, hanging out on IRC asking people to compile his code for him because he couldn't do it ;)

Besides, he didn't make money out of it, only damage. Hackers are not cool, really. There are thousands of 14 year old kids on irc taking down hosts and irc servers just for the hell of it. Then there are 14 year olds who hack websites for fun. It isn't all that hard, my mother could do it.

3xwebdesign
07-02-2003, 11:06 AM
I had a friend over here who was Hacking companies networks, copy some files and install some non-dangerous ones... Then he was going to this company head office with hacking proofs (files, hours, dates, etc...) , "your system is not secure", then he was hirred to "secure. the company system.

BuggyG
07-02-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Danny_C

SEE!! This is EXACTLY how I think of them. The same idea I have of mostr that talk all big in front of their pc. That go around trashing/insultig others. They all big online but in real life. Most just hiding behind mommy's skirt.

So least I know am not only one who thinks it. Now I gotta go call my docotr and tell him so. heheheh:bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

NetRodent
07-04-2003, 07:16 PM
cracking (http://www.jargon.8hz.com/jargon_18.html#TAG365) != hacking (http://www.jargon.8hz.com/jargon_23.html#TAG833)

barryf
07-04-2003, 11:19 PM
People hack for the same reason they climb mountains: because they can.

B

StuartD
07-04-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by barryf
People hack for the same reason they climb mountains: because they can.

B

sorta... I look at it more as grafitti "taggers" really.

A true hacker will do one of two things...
1) they'll get access to so that they can deface a website but do no real damage.
2) they'll get access covertly and give themselves complete and total access without ever being detected or leaving a trace of their precence.

Most often times it's #1 that happens, and just like graffiti... it's their way of leaving their mark on something. Except it's a webpage instead of a wall.

but for the most part... grafitti artists and hackers.. like you said... do it just because they can.. and to show everyone that they did ;)

keyDet79
07-05-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by StuartD
sorta... I look at it more as grafitti "taggers" really.

A true hacker will do one of two things...
1) they'll get access to so that they can deface a website but do no real damage.
2) they'll get access covertly and give themselves complete and total access without ever being detected or leaving a trace of their precence.

Most often times it's #1 that happens, and just like graffiti... it's their way of leaving their mark on something. Except it's a webpage instead of a wall.

but for the most part... grafitti artists and hackers.. like you said... do it just because they can.. and to show everyone that they did ;)

Untill they grow up. I have yet to meet a person over 21 that defaces websites.