PDA

View Full Version : Return on advertising dollars

Ronaldo
10-03-2002, 02:22 PM
The ass slackers here at Xamo have something interesting on the horizon and are looking at various advertising methods and the effects of such.

This would be a product targeted strictly towards paysites.

There are obviously varying factors in advertising that cannot be accounted for such as unattractive or misleading ads. Poor follow up service, etc. So what I'm looking for is a generalization of your experiences with the money that you have spent on advertising.

I would greatly appreciate any information from those of you in the know, with experience advertising in the following places.

Klixxx Magazine
AVN Online
Trade show booths
Resource Boards
Radio
etc.

Ron

P.S. We are doing our own research into this matter, but having opinions from varying sources will either re-enforce or contradict whatever our findings may be, making our study that much more accurate.

P.P.S. Chris was hounding me to come post to his board. :)

twinkley
10-03-2002, 02:42 PM
Hi Ronaldo,

Welcome to the board :)

I am kinda on both sides of the advertising situation. Running a resource board, I sell advertising, and running a sponsor program, we
also buy it.

The question you really need to pose when buying advertising is "what am I looking to get out of this?"

Branding is really the key to advertising. So many people don't understand that when buying online. They are looking for clicks. Advertising is simply a way to get your product out in front of as many QUALIFIED eyes as possible.

Your saying that you want to target this product specifically to paysite owners. You are probably going to want to do a bit of both print and online advertising. I recommend AVN for print, just because EVERYONE gets it!

For online, spread yourself out to get the biggest audience of paysite owners possible. Look for places that cater to the larger companies, and those who can/will offer you ad space on more than one site.

Radio is a great way to get a very loyal following. Your audience isnt as big, but they are there because they want to support the show, and will support you as well, for supporting the show. You wont get hundreds of signups this way, but you will get a few that will stay with you religiously.

If you are looking for hardcore "click" results in online - go with text. Text will click better than banners almost any day of the week, and is typically a LOT cheaper.

Okay, now that I have told you all my secrets, I must go work hehe

twinkley

Evil Chris
10-03-2002, 03:27 PM
See Ron? :D
This is a great place to bring questions like that. Twinkley has got some great advice there, and she should know about this stuff... She runs one of the biggest webmaster resources out there.