PDA

View Full Version : Seen any good movies lately?

Evil Chris
08-29-2002, 12:38 PM
Funbrunette and I went to see "SIGNS" a few days ago and it was pretty damn good...

Oh, we also went to see "Blue Crush"... LOL... kind of a chick flick surfer movie... but it wasn't too bad really... hahaha...

Sly
08-29-2002, 12:45 PM
Not in the theater, but I finally watched my Vanilla Sky DVD (after having it for two months) the other night... I don't think I'll be watching that again. After watching it you somewhat start to understand it, but it was still stupid. Minority Report was much better, great movie.

And of course, I picked up LOTR (not to be confused with NOTR) right when it came out, woohoo! Now I just need a wide screen and surround sound for the full effect. :D

breaker
08-29-2002, 12:47 PM
Amelie on dvd yesterday.. great movie

Evil Chris
08-29-2002, 12:50 PM
Sly, I gotta get me a copy of LOTR on DVD... Funbrunette and I have a room in our house specifically for watching movies on the big screen in 5.1 surround... Looking forward to that... :cool:

breaker.... I have heard of that movie Amelie... what's it all about?

Sly
08-29-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris
Sly, I gotta get me a copy of LOTR on DVD... Funbrunette and I have a room in our house specifically for watching movies on the big screen in 5.1 surround... Looking forward to that... :cool:

So when can I come over? Don't worry, I'll leave the couch to you two. :D

breaker
08-29-2002, 12:56 PM
breaker.... I have heard of that movie Amelie... what's it all about?

About a strange french girl.. it's abit wierd but rent it..

Evil Chris
08-29-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Sly

So when can I come over? Don't worry, I'll leave the couch to you two. :D

Of all the movies I've seen on my system, the two that come to mind as being the best (for the surround effects) have been Crimson Tide and especially Days of Thunder...

Yeah I have a nice armchair you can be comfortable in...

Tafkap
08-30-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by breaker

About a strange french girl.. it's abit wierd but rent it..

Right dude! Story of a girl looking 4 her soulmate across Paris!

Great movie, great actors... director's Jean Pierre Jeunet, he did the Alien Movie with Sigourney Weaver...

Last movie : "L'auberge espagnole", great French movie about the Erasmus Program, which is a student exchange program in Europe. very funny, wanna makes me go back studying...:D

tejano B
08-30-2002, 05:42 PM
Auberge Espagnole is a gem!
Amelie... well i've been trying to get her naked as a screen saver but ever time I try Tafkap reaches across the desk and slaps me upside and says 'silly fuck!'
*sniff*

Mister X
08-30-2002, 07:55 PM
Jeepers Creepers today. Not bad but I was only scared once and the ending sucked. Yesterday it was Serendipity. Kate Beckinsale is hot!

Funbrunette
08-30-2002, 08:50 PM
Ok, I must be a "geek" but I really enjoyed Blue Crush (surfing movie) Made me want to start a new career in surfing...lol

BTW, Chris came with us and he enjoyed it (ok, so the girls in bikini helped), but he actually ADMITTED to liking it! :D

Evil Chris
08-30-2002, 08:52 PM
I do admit Blue Crush was enjoyable... I don't think I would have run out to see it on my own though. But I'm glad I saw it... :D

Electra
08-31-2002, 05:43 PM
I am still enjoying A Beautiful Mind for the 5th time :) I am a Russell Crowe fan.

Now everyone will come on and say hes a wanker...lol :)

Mister X
08-31-2002, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Electra
I am still enjoying A Beautiful Mind for the 5th time :) I am a Russell Crowe fan.

Now everyone will come on and say hes a wanker...lol :)
He's not a wanker. He's a banker. Hehe. Even worse than a wanker!

Electra
09-01-2002, 02:10 AM
Ha..if I had Russell's money I wouldn't have to work all day on the computer...would probably have a ranch in Australia:)

Evil Chris
09-01-2002, 11:28 AM
Last night I rented "The Royal Tennenbaums"... it was pretty good! What a messed up family... anyone else seen it yet?

XxXotic
09-01-2002, 02:27 PM

Of all the movies I've seen on my system, the two that come to mind as being the best (for the surround effects) have been Crimson Tide and especially Days of Thunder...

Yeah I have a nice armchair you can be comfortable in...

ok since you have a decent (or very good) home theatre system and you name those 2 movies as the best (theyre good dont get me wrong) rent yourself (or buy), The One, Black Hawk Down, Behind Enemy Lines, Blade II (released tomorrow, if not real soon I think on DVD) Theyre awesome home theatre DVD's

Evil Chris
09-01-2002, 03:02 PM
oh yeah... I bet Blackhawk Down would be spectacular on my big screen.
The Matrix is good too... I watched that one again last Sunday... :cool:

Mister X
09-01-2002, 03:05 PM
Last night I rented "The Royal Tennenbaums"... it was pretty good! What a messed up family... anyone else seen it yet?

Was gonna rent that one but I got Joyride instead. It wasn't bad. Really great dvd with alternate endings and shit.

Mister X
09-01-2002, 03:07 PM
Another good one is The Longest Day. Not really up to the standards of some of today's surround sound pics but they did a pretty great job nonetheless. I'd like to see a few more of those great old war movies redone for surround sound.

Electra
09-01-2002, 04:53 PM
I saw Gosford Park...kinda boring, but interesting for the performances of really good actors in small parts. Somehow the movie had no life to it..if you know what I mean.

Good Russell Crowe movie if you haven't seen it..Proof of Life..and another one Virtuosity about a weird cyber being come to life.

XxXotic
09-01-2002, 10:24 PM
if you're into artsy shit, and you like dead can dance, check out the movie baraka.

the cinematography is so well done and one of very few movies filmed on the type of film they used.

It's real mellow, lots of landscapes, ancient tribes, looks at life and the world we live in, no talking, just chill scenery and a mellow ass soundtrack. It's one of my absolute favorite movies ever.

Evil Chris
09-01-2002, 10:28 PM
Someone on my ICQ list recommended I rent Requiem for a Dream so I finally did. What an interesting movie. I'm glad I watched it.
Anyone else see that one?

Raya
09-02-2002, 12:05 AM
Matrix is one of my favorites I also have several others fifth element and Moline Rouge and Crouching Tiger. I sadly do not have space for a TV of any size. I watch the movies on my G3 lap top same machine I surf on and build sites on.

You may ask the question why do I only have a lap top. I live on a sail boat. If I cant fit it in my bunk it doesn't come on the boat!

Tafkap
09-02-2002, 05:05 AM
Watched "Dogma" yesterday on TV... Great movie, great actors (Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Salam Hayek, Linda Fiorentano, Chris Rock...) and Alanis Morrissette as God!!!!!!

Evil Chris
09-02-2002, 08:42 AM
Dogma... yes I've heard of that one... Is it a comedy?

Tafkap
09-02-2002, 08:59 AM
Kind of... but in a spiritual and religious way... great fun! learned that God could be a she or a he...:D

Here is a link to the official website : http://www.dogma-movie.com/

XxXotic
09-02-2002, 09:07 AM

one of ben stillers worst films :(

dogma was written by kevin smith (clerks, chasin amy, mallrats, jay & silent bob strike back) it was pretty funny, not as funny as some of his other movies but funny enough for me to go buy :)

Jay[neX]
09-02-2002, 04:21 PM
It's not a movie, but I've recently watched the whole first season of "24"

It's one of the best TV shows I've seen. Beats any of the movies I've seen this summer.

Electra
09-02-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Tafkap
Kind of... but in a spiritual and religious way... great fun! learned that God could be a she or a he...:D

Here is a link to the official website : http://www.dogma-movie.com/

What do you mean? We women KNOW God is a She ! :rolleyes:

Tafkap
09-02-2002, 04:29 PM
Ooooops, sorry Electra... guess i've said that because of my macho side (i'm an half italian Frenchy...):D

SykkBoy
09-02-2002, 04:51 PM
Someone on my ICQ list recommended I rent Requiem for a Dream so I finally did. What an interesting movie. I'm glad I watched it.
Anyone else see that one?

Requeim is one of my favorite movies....make sure you watched the unrated version...the r-rated version havily censored the double-headed dildo scene and shortened a few other scenes....
one of the few movies that ever made me cry..fucking Ellen Burstyn gave the performance of a lifetime....

I also bought Royal Tennenbaums the other night and just loved it. I'm a huge Owen Wilson fan (he co-wrote the movie) and have loved everything he's done and been in...

...and did I mention that the first season of Spongebob Squarepants is on video/dvd? ;)

SykkBoy
09-02-2002, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Tafkap
Watched "Dogma" yesterday on TV... Great movie, great actors (Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Salam Hayek, Linda Fiorentano, Chris Rock...) and Alanis Morrissette as God!!!!!!

go rent or buy it and watch it unedited...if you just saw in on Comedy Central....95% of the funny stuff was heavily censored/omitted...

I recomend the whole Kevin Smith collection...Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.....watch Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back LAST to get all the in-jokes ;)

Shann
09-04-2002, 11:22 PM
Saw Lox Stock and 2 smoking barrels last night, was AMAZING! Along the same lines as Snatch, one of my fav movies. Love the english characters, Sting's part was small, but great. Love the English, they drink more than Canadians! haha

Evil Chris
09-04-2002, 11:24 PM
Snatch..... hahaha... thanks for reminding me of that movie. I think I've seen it like 5 times...

Mister X
09-06-2002, 02:49 AM
Watched the Royal Tennenbaums yesterday. Great movie! Thanks for the recommendation Chris! Watched Full Metal Jacket today. Another great movie. Kubrick didn't make many movies but they were all worthwhile. It's too bad he didn't live long enogh to make Eyes Wide Shut the movie it could have been.

Bree
09-06-2002, 10:31 AM
Hiyas,

Been AFK for a bit...

Saw "Signs" with my sister last weekend.. I thought it was okay. Clever play on the title I think.

Bought Resident Evil recently and thought that was pretty cool if you like bloody suspense movies. Really kind of felt like I was playing the game.

More than anything we enjoy the 4 seasons of Star Trek TNG, the first two seasons of MASH, and the first season of Babylon5 that we got. We can have our own marathons and just veg. :)

I think U-571 is an excellent movie .. we buy all of our DVDs but if you rent, rent that one.

Tafkap
09-06-2002, 10:34 AM
Chris, si tu veux voir un film bien marrant et con, loue ou achète le DVD "Astérix et Cléopatre" d'Alain Chabat (un ex Les Nuls)

Mister X
09-09-2002, 02:24 AM
Just finished watching Dogma again. Not bad at all. And Alannis Morrissette as God? Of course. It's obvious that God is Canadian. :D