PDA

View Full Version : Bowling for Columbine was a kick ass movie!!

Dwreck
08-25-2003, 01:37 PM
Im not huge on documentaries but this rawked!!

RENT IT Bowling for Columbine!!!

The part on Canada kicked ass!

kassidy
08-25-2003, 03:07 PM
I love Michael Moore! I've been waiting for Bowling for Columbine to come out on dvd :) I think I'll rent it tonight.

Danny_C
08-25-2003, 04:27 PM
Yeah, it's a good movie.

Have you read Stupid White Men? If not, you should.

kassidy
08-25-2003, 04:33 PM
I'm actually reading it right now. Michael Moore sees the US, it's policies and politics, the way most foreigners do, without all of the rah-rah American patriotism. I'm sure it would be an eye-opening read for many Americans.

Evil Chris
08-25-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by kassidy
I'm actually reading it right now. Michael Moore sees the US, it's policies and politics, the way most foreigners do, without all of the rah-rah American patriotism. I'm sure it would be an eye-opening read for many Americans. kassidy, I'm certainly not anti-American but I have been accused of it because of my take on Bowling for Columbine.

I can't believe the number of people who shrug this movie off as a comedy or propaganda. It's neither. The only comedic part they did in the whole thing was the "Corporate Cops" portion, where they invented a new kind of "Cops" show that they would like to see. Everything else was based on factual evidence gathered by Moore and the producers of the movie.

Some people become very defensive when discussing B for C. :bonk:

wsjb78
08-25-2003, 05:09 PM
Seen Bowling for Columbine at the movie theater, read Stupid White Men like half a year ago... I think I even posted here....

I heard the next thing he's onto is making a movie about the Carlyle Group....

Panky
08-25-2003, 06:42 PM
Wow! Am I not with it! I've never even heard of the movie. :blush:

Ronaldo
08-25-2003, 06:53 PM
I bought it the day it came out. I had never seen it, but heard tons about it from our office conspiracy guy. Well worth the buy.

It was truly a great movie, but the uneven slant bothered me somewhat. Also, Moore's self-congratulatory attitude in the DVD extras turned me off as well.

The one extra that showed a clip of his TV Series "The Awful Truth" was hilarious as well.

Clint
08-25-2003, 09:40 PM
If you are into Michael Moore films you should also check out “Roger and Me.” It was done in the late 80s and has a similar style as Bowling for Columbine, but deals with GM CEO Roger Smith and the people left unemployed by 10 auto plant closings in Michigan. GM decided to move the jobs to Mexico because of cheaper labor.

Another highlight of the movie is you get to see Michael Moore when he was 50 lbs. lighter:)

Tafkap
08-26-2003, 05:34 AM
I'm actually reading it right now. Michael Moore sees the US, it's policies and politics, the way most foreigners do, without all of the rah-rah American patriotism. I'm sure it would be an eye-opening read for many Americans.

I've read Stupid White Men during my vacations.

That book is damn great!!! The way he describes how Bush and his family manipulated ppl in order to be elected... i luved it...

I'm currently reading his first book. I don't know the title in English but in French it's "Degraissez-moi ça" ...i recommend it too...

:bonk:

Shann
08-26-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Danny_C
Yeah, it's a good movie.

Have you read Stupid White Men? If not, you should.

hehe have the book, stopped reading it then misplaced it, but a lot of people started conversations with me about it! lol thought it was about stupid white men in general! haha

Can't wait to see Bowling for Columbine, heard good things about it!

Roger and Me was great, Michael Moore is a genius. :)

iroc409
08-26-2003, 11:36 PM
haven't seen it yet, but i've heard it's the biggest crock of shit shown on the big screen in a long time.

sherie
08-27-2003, 11:58 AM
I think that I am going to rent it while I am up at the lake for when I am the last one standing. It will give something to do other than talk to the loon's and try counting the stars again LOL

Evil Chris
08-27-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by iroc409
haven't seen it yet, but i've heard it's the biggest crock of shit shown on the big screen in a long time. You heard that from a gun-lover I'm sure. :)

Ronaldo
08-27-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris
You heard that from a gun-lover I'm sure. :)
One of the Michigan Militia no doubt :semiautomatedweapon:

Evil Chris
08-27-2003, 02:54 PM
Ron... seeing a bunch of good ole boys dressed up in cam and toting big automatic weapons just scares me. ::-|

Ronaldo
08-27-2003, 03:04 PM
Ron... seeing a bunch of good ole boys dressed up in cam and toting big automatic weapons just scares me. ::-|
I do agree Chris.

But the one lady playing with her little girl made a good point.

If someone breaks into your house, who are you gonna call? The police. Why? Because they have guns.

What are the police going to do even though they have guns? Stand outside your house and negotiate with the other people with guns.

Shann
08-27-2003, 03:11 PM
You heard that from a gun-lover I'm sure. :)

LOL You read my mind!

Dwreck
08-27-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by iroc409
haven't seen it yet, but i've heard it's the biggest crock of shit shown on the big screen in a long time.

It won an ocsar!!

Danny_C
08-27-2003, 04:36 PM
You know, I don't even get why gun lovers get so defensive about this movie.

Ok, I understand that it made Charlton Heston look bad, and MAYBE unfairly so.

But the movie is hardly giving answers. I got the sense that he was trying to ask questions rather than offer answers. It didn't say, "Guns are bad, let's get rid of them." It asked, "What is it about American culture that causes so much gun-related homicide?" I think it's a legitimate question, and I think the "culture of fear" that he seems to lean toward believing is at the root of the problem is accurate.

iroc409
08-27-2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by ContentGuy Derek
It won an ocsar!!

and that means...?

i'm going to have to watch this flick.

kassidy
08-27-2003, 05:35 PM
A gun in a home is far more likely to harm or kill a member of your family than an intruder. I really don't understand the whole theory on gun ownership for defense...can someone enlighten me?

skillfull
08-27-2003, 07:35 PM
one of the better movie a saw this year
some american are just :bonk:

iroc409
08-27-2003, 09:32 PM
A gun in a home is far more likely to harm or kill a member of your family than an intruder. I really don't understand the whole theory on gun ownership for defense...can someone enlighten me?

and you know why this is? because people are dumb, uneducated about their firearms, and are afraid to use them. i agree that there are people that should not own a firearm. if you're too afraid to fire one at someone, then you're probably going to get shot by it. if you're not going to educate your children properly about firearms, there might be an "accident".

this country was founded on the ownership of firearms, and will stay that way.

how often are mass crimes, or a lot of crimes performed with legally owned firearms? probably not as many as you think. as i said on another board, show me an instance that someone did a drive-by with a .30-06 bolt-action hunting rifle. or even a pump shotgun? most likely their weapon of choice is going to be a fully automatic weapon.

how many legally owned fully automatic firearms have been used in crimes in the US? last i checked, there were TWO incidences of this, neither in recent history. why? because it takes a hell of a lot to get an FFL, and once you've gone through all that trouble, you're probably not a mass murderer.

do you think crime will dissappear if we remove firearms? what about in states that allow concealed carry? all accounts that i've researched, concealed carry REDUCES the crime level. what if someone breaks into your house and decides to shoot you? you think the cops will get there in time? no, they're not sitting in front of your house waiting for a criminal.

do you think if you make every firearm illegal, that there won't be guns? no, just the criminals will have the illegal guns they already have. make us all ducks in a barrel, please.

what about all the people that have been involved in self-defense shootings? tell them that they shouldn't have had that weapon, and they should have allowed their assailant to shoot them. tell them you'd rather they were dead right now, instead of a criminal.

a level-headed individual doesn't turn into an outlaw just because they own a firearm, or a bad person. i used to live on a farm, and i went out all the time shooting for fun. it was relaxing. it was regular out there to hear gunshots all the time, and i didn't go running for cover every time someone was out having fun or hunting pheasants. but you're telling me we shouldn't be allowed to do this because it turns me into a rabid murderer, armed with my montgomery-wards bolt-action .22LR.

guns are just a tool, you make it what you wish. if you choose to make it into a murderous weapon, that's your choice. i use them for sport and self defense (god forbid i actually NEED to do this). but look around the house, think of all the things you could turn into a deadly weapon. silverware, knives, baseball bats, hell, even a bic pen could kill someone in the right hands.

how about instead of trying to get rid of more guns, we better educate the public on how to drive? the ignorance of people behind the wheel to me is much more appauling than the gun situation. what we need is better enforcement of the gun laws we have, not restricting more weapons.

read up on some of the recent bills in congress. they're trying to ban guns that are not used in violent crimes basically at all. why? what is so wrong with these guns?

and you know, most of the US is not all big and bad old-west-style shoot-em-up everywhere. part of the problem is the setting. don't want to be involved in an area that might get a lot of shootings, and you might get shot in crossfire? here's a tip, don't live there. i've very rarely been anywhere that i really worried for my own personal safety. even when i went to nyc. i don't carry weapons on me, except for my 4D maglite in my truck. and yes, i'm confident i could disable someone with it if necessary. it has a lot to do with the people you surround yourself with, and the places you choose to be.

there's a lot of places in this country you can live without locking your doors. my aunt and uncle on one side of the family live in a place where nobody locks their doors, and they even leave their keys in their cars. they left their front door wide open one night, nobody touched their place. only to find a deer in their house the next morning. and this is a city, not the country they live in.

alright, this is too long, i'm out. i still gotta see this movie, to see why it's the end-all in guns in the US. but why did it win an oscar or whatever as a documentary, when it clearly isn't?

Ronaldo
08-27-2003, 11:12 PM
I wish I had the Gary Larson cartoon to post that went something like this.

The U.S. founding fathers are working on the constitution on a sweltering day. Naturally they're all wearing long sleeves.

One of them steps up and says, "Maybe we should let everyone have the right to bare arms."

Then there's Dennis Miller's line from recently.

Those guys that signed the constitution, boy they were smart. Much smarter than we are today.

I'll bet if they were around, they'd say "Um, hey guys, we did this thing 200 years ago. Feel free to update it once in a while."

iroc409
08-27-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Ronaldo
I wish I had the Gary Larson cartoon to post that went something like this.

The U.S. founding fathers are working on the constitution on a sweltering day. Naturally they're all wearing long sleeves.

One of them steps up and says, "Maybe we should let everyone have the right to bare arms."

Then there's Dennis Miller's line from recently.

Those guys that signed the constitution, boy they were smart. Much smarter than we are today.

I'll bet if they were around, they'd say "Um, hey guys, we did this thing 200 years ago. Feel free to update it once in a while."

the bill of rights has been updated.

what do you feel needs to be changed so badly, in a country you don't even live in?

and everyone that always cries how incredibly UNfree the united states is, why would you lobby so hard to remove even more of those freedoms?

dyonisus
08-28-2003, 01:55 AM

I agree wholeheartedly, I had one scary moment when I thought one of these "types" was going to pull a gun on me @ the shooting range in Vegas... LOL Yep, my anti gun mouth nearly scored me a shit load of trouble

I am looking forward to watcing the movie, the wife and I are renting it this wknd!

Tafkap
08-28-2003, 03:59 AM
It won an ocsar!!

And a Cesar (French Oscars) + a prize at the latest Cannes Film Festival...

:bonk:

MikeB
08-29-2003, 03:17 AM
It won an ocsar!!

Yes it did - but check this out! (http://revoketheoscar.com)

You can sign the petition. (http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?nooscar&51)

and the meat of the arguement is here (http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html).

iroc409
08-29-2003, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by MikeB
Yes it did - but check this out! (http://revoketheoscar.com)

You can sign the petition. (http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?nooscar&51)

and the meat of the arguement is here (http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html).

there's some interesting stuff on that site, including some articles on the crime problem in europe.

iroc409
08-29-2003, 05:44 AM
http://www.city-journal.org/html/13_3_michael_moore.html

tornell
08-29-2003, 07:35 AM
great and true movie!!