PDA

View Full Version : DeLaHoya fight - what a joke

gunner
09-14-2003, 02:44 AM
anyone see the DeLaHoya fight tonight? what was that?????
it's why boxing has such a bad reputation. It really seemed like a fixed fight. Disappointing.

skillfull
09-14-2003, 08:49 AM
who winned ?

Mister X
09-14-2003, 10:55 AM
Didn't watch it. It seems like Delahoya is pretty much coasting along fighting guys with zero chance to beat him nowadays. Too bad cuz he used to be a pretty exciting fighter.

Easton
09-14-2003, 11:01 AM
sssshhhhh... don't spoil it for us who missed it! LOL

Ronaldo
09-14-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Mister X
Didn't watch it. It seems like Delahoya is pretty much coasting along fighting guys with zero chance to beat him nowadays. Too bad cuz he used to be a pretty exciting fighter.
Um, you know who he fought last right? Fernando Vargas? He had zero chance of beating de la Hoya? Please. Vargas was bigger, stronger and his only loss prior to that fight was against Felix Trinidad. That was one of the best fights I'd seen in years.

And fighting Mosley, who'd already beaten him twice?

de la Hoya is doing anything but coasting along nowadays.

Satellite dish went out, so I'll have to reserve judgement on last night's fight. Punch stats and popular opinion say that he was robbed though.

Mister X
09-14-2003, 11:47 AM
From the first post I thought it was Delahoya who won over some bum. I kind of lost interest in him a couple of years ago when he was indeed fighting a lot of bums so I don't follow DelaHoya very closely anymore.

But actually DelaHoya's last fight was against Yory Boy Campas who I don't think anybody really thought had a chance of beating him. But I have to give Oscar credit for fighting Mosely.

I would have to very mildly disagree with you about Vargas. Personally I think he's past his prime by a couple of years although not a bum for sure.

As far as punch stats... Some judges pay more attention to power shots than to the flurries that Oscar sometimes throws. They land but don't do much damage so they don't carry as much weight in the eyes of a lot of judges. So it's quite possible that he was robbed. It wouldn't be the first time somebody has won a fight throwing fewer punches but landing more power shots. Especially when he wins more of the rounds at the end.

Oops. Forgot to say that Mosely only beat Delahoya once. This was their second fight.

Ronaldo
09-14-2003, 12:35 PM
I would have to very mildly disagree with you about Vargas. Personally I think he's past his prime by a couple of years although not a bum for sure.

If you saw this fight, you could see that Oscar was overpowered. He was in trouble for alot of that fight but pulled it out in the 11th. Whether past his prime or not, he was a dangerous opponent for Oscar.
Oops. Forgot to say that Mosely only beat Delahoya once. This was their second fight.
Mosely also beat him as an amateur. That was the other fight I was referring to.

Ronaldo
09-14-2003, 12:46 PM
But actually DelaHoya's last fight was against Yory Boy Campas who I don't think anybody really thought had a chance of beating him.

My bad. I forgot about that fight and you are correct with this particuliar fight.
As far as punch stats... Some judges pay more attention to power shots than to the flurries that Oscar sometimes throws. They land but don't do much damage so they don't carry as much weight in the eyes of a lot of judges. So it's quite possible that he was robbed. It wouldn't be the first time somebody has won a fight throwing fewer punches but landing more power shots. Especially when he wins more of the rounds at the end.
As I said, I didn't see the fight, so I'll reserve judgement until after that.

These however are the punch stat numbers:

De La Hoya Mosley
Total Jabs
106 Landed 33
296 Thrown 268
36% Pct. 12%

Power Punches
115 Landed 94
320 Thrown 228
36% Pct. 41%
Total Punches

221 Landed 127
616 Thrown 496
36% Pct. 26%

All the numbers favour de la Hoya except power punch %. He still hit him with more power shots.

Oscar MAY have looked more devastated because of the blood when they knocked heads. But, I'll see for myself soon enough.

gunner
09-14-2003, 06:09 PM
yea, look at the numbers. How could you give Mosley the fight??
he led in power punches - WHO CARES? that's not what wins a fight.
boxing has always been political, but this was the biggest sham.
Even George Foreman said he thought the judges must have been watching a different fight.

asuna
09-14-2003, 09:11 PM
Good thing I didn't pay for it, man would I of been pissed

Mister X
09-15-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by Ronaldo
If you saw this fight, you could see that Oscar was overpowered. He was in trouble for alot of that fight but pulled it out in the 11th. Whether past his prime or not, he was a dangerous opponent for Oscar.

Mosely also beat him as an amateur. That was the other fight I was referring to. I forgot about the amateur fight. :blush:

Vargas definitely gave Oscar some trouble. It wasn't exactly a pretty fight or a great performance by Oscar but he saved it. Personally I was expecting Oscar to do better in that fight but it's a subjective thing really.

Mister X
09-15-2003, 01:30 AM
Sounds like a classic case of the guy that wins most of the last half of the rounds winning the fight. The scorecards gave the last 4 rounds to Mosely from all 3 judges and the last 5 rounds by 2 of them. Of course I never saw it so I'll have to go by George Foreman's opinion. He's almost always right on the money.

I really think that most of the judges don't actually score the fight as it progresses. They wait until the last round to decide who won the earlier rounds too. I guess it's always gonna be a part of boxing. :rolleyes:

Ronaldo
09-15-2003, 01:57 AM
Sounds like a classic case of the guy that wins most of the last half of the rounds winning the fight. The scorecards gave the last 4 rounds to Mosely from all 3 judges and the last 5 rounds by 2 of them. Of course I never saw it so I'll have to go by George Foreman's opinion. He's almost always right on the money.

I really think that most of the judges don't actually score the fight as it progresses. They wait until the last round to decide who won the earlier rounds too. I guess it's always gonna be a part of boxing. :rolleyes:
If I'm not mistaken, the judges actually have to hand in their scores after every round. Probably to avoid that very thing.

I love watching George Foreman. When he's not talking, he stands there with that stupid little toothy grin on his face. Then he'll start talking. As soon as he's done talking though, he puts that stupid toothy grin back on his face. Cracks me up every time.

Mister X
09-15-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Ronaldo
If I'm not mistaken, the judges actually have to hand in their scores after every round. Probably to avoid that very thing.

I love watching George Foreman. When he's not talking, he stands there with that stupid little toothy grin on his face. Then he'll start talking. As soon as he's done talking though, he puts that stupid toothy grin back on his face. Cracks me up every time. If that's true it's probably a good thing, lol.

Yeah I love George. He's a great colour man and he's pretty funny.

DrGuile
09-15-2003, 03:19 PM
I watched the fight and its indeed hard to believe they gave it to Mosley.

It was close though...

machoman
09-16-2003, 02:06 PM
i just lost a $100, i was hoping theGoldenBoy would rise to the occassion. :bonk: