PDA

View Full Version : a Question of Meta Tags

maverick
09-14-2003, 07:05 AM
When I first started doing this a year or so ago, I read an article that suggested there be an additional description line in the <head> and configured <!--The description of the page--> so being new at the game it seemed like a good idea. I have recently read an article that suggests additional information in the search tags could be penalized by the SE's and am wondering if this additional description tag would fall into that category.
I know there are brilliant people here that are garnering a tonne more traffic than I and would like your advice.

Many thanks

Maverick

wsjb78
09-14-2003, 07:20 AM
Each SE handles them differently...

my advice is to use MetaTags and tune them to the content of the webpage. See that the meta tags used also appear in the document's body!

1000facials
09-14-2003, 08:00 AM
Your very own "Panky" takes care of our sites. I am sure she can give you some very useful info when she sees this thread. :)

NetRodent
09-14-2003, 09:10 AM
I don't know of any search engine that will inherently penelize you for a meta description or keyword tag. However, that's not to say you won't get penelized for putting garbage in the tag.

maverick
09-14-2003, 10:02 AM
The original post dropped the html aspect that I was trying to get across. The primary question I have is this...my current head info contains the page description with a (<) followed by a (!) then two dashes (--) followed by the description and then two more dashes and finished with (>) it is separated from the meta description =
Hope this clarifies this somewhat and hopefully all these little characters will show up on this posting! LOL

Thanks again!

Maverick

Panky
09-14-2003, 10:52 AM
What's the URL?

Mister X
09-14-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by maverick
The original post dropped the html aspect that I was trying to get across. The primary question I have is this...my current head info contains the page description with a (<) followed by a (!) then two dashes (--) followed by the description and then two more dashes and finished with (>) it is separated from the meta description =
Hope this clarifies this somewhat and hopefully all these little characters will show up on this posting! LOL

Thanks again!

Maverick Well that's an html comment and is a much different thing than a meta tag. I'm not an expert but I think that it would probably be ignored and if it contained material like a meta description it could get you penalized because it is supposed to be used for comments about the code.

maverick
09-14-2003, 02:02 PM
http://www.sexual-ecstasy.com

Panky
09-14-2003, 04:45 PM
It's just code generated by your HTML editor.

What you need to concern yourself most with is the title tag and body text. These are two areas a search engine spider will always index and place considerable emphasis on.

Meta tags are secondary text. Some search engines and directories do not even consider these tags.

The meta description tag is important in respect that the engines who index this tag use this tag when displaying search results. The description can be far more important than a keyword list when it comes to visibility. The keywords that appear inside this tag should also appear in the body.

meta name="robots" content="ALL"
meta name="revisit-after" content="15 Days"
(useless tags)