PDA

View Full Version : New Policy At AIM Regarding STD Outbreaks

firehorse
09-21-2003, 01:48 AM
http://www.avn.com/imagearchive/03/88/08/38808aim_lead.jpg

I know this is a long story, I got it from a member of our board I think it is important tho as it affects us all indirectly and directly in some cases.

VAN NUYS, Calif. - When notifying performers that they have been exposed to STDs, the Adult Industry Medical Health Care Foundation (AIM) will also name the individual who has exposed them in order to more effectively combat the spread of STDs amongst the adult talent population. This new policy is effective immediately and a result of yet another outbreak of chlamydia and gonorrhea, the second major spike in the last two months.

“We understand that a lot of people are not going to be happy about that,” Sharon Mitchell, executive director of AIM, told AVN.com. “But we think that if you are not happy about it, you need to consider that somebody you are working with may be forging a test, lying to you about when they took the medication and they are putting your health and livelihood at risk.”

In just the last two weeks the level of chlamydia and gonorrhea infections have risen another 2 percentage points, from 4.8 percent to 6.8 percent of the adult talent pool.

“If we don’t get a handle on this the county or other authorities will step in. I really want to show that we can be a good self-regulated industry – or they will be more than happy to regulate us,” Mitchell said, noting that any government regulation will likely involve the mandatory use of condoms – something most in the industry would prefer not to happen.

Mitchell points to new talent working without proper testing, people who have faked test results and people lying about having taken their medication as the reason for the spread.

The release that performers sign when testing at AIM was updated earlier this year to legally allow AIM to release the name of a person who has tested positive with an STD to the people he or she has worked with. AIM held off immediately using that power because of the way STDs have historically been treated within the industry.

“AIM has found in the past that it has instilled child-like behavior in the population. They use it against each other and so on and so forth,” Mitchell said. “But now, with such a high volume of chlamydia and gonorrhea what’s happening is we can’t notify the people that were exposed fast enough.

“These are totally treatable and they are not a reason to be ashamed — it’s an occupational hazard.”

Mitchell encourages those informed that they have worked with someone who has tested positive for STDs and to get tested and receive proper medical attention if required. She also suggests that positive test results should only be disclosed to those who need to know.

“This is not something that should be ending up on gossip sites. It’s only to control the rapid level of contamination, not to embarrass anyone,” she said.

According to Mitchell, the reason why it is important to provide the name of the person who exposed another person is to increase the speed that outbreaks can be stopped. If a person knows exactly who exposed them to an STD, they can check their records and confirm for themselves that they have been exposed, and will already know who they have worked with since their exposure if they also test positive for an STD.

World Talent Modeling Agency has already volunteered to help AIM locate the talent that is registered with them to notify performers immediately if they have been exposed.

“They have more ability to locate the performers than we do. It could take us days to get to some people. Jim South has really come through for the entire industry with this one,” Mitchell said.

The best thing to do if you have been exposed is to take your medication as prescribed and not work until you are definitely free of the STD, Mitchell said.

“Be responsible. Let’s all work together on this. We’ve eradicated HIV and now its time to eradicate chlamydia and gonorrhea,” she said.

FULL STORY (http://www.avn.com/index.php?Primary_Navigation=Articles&Action=View_Article&Content_ID=38808)

wsjb78
09-21-2003, 04:27 AM
If I just knew what STD is I probably could understand this :(

Magnus3x
09-21-2003, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by wsjb78
If I just knew what STD is I probably could understand this :(

Sexually Transmitted Disease = STD

or... Mommy..why does it hurt when I pee?

Funbrunette
09-21-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Magnus3x

or... Mommy..why does it hurt when I pee?

:laughout:

wsjb78
09-21-2003, 10:25 AM
While I see the need to make such things public isn't there some kind of law that prohibts those people to publish names?

Panky
09-21-2003, 12:36 PM
In the States, there is all kinds of privacy laws and regulations in place for the medical and dental industry.

I personally don't agree with a 3rd. party telling everyone you have been exposed by such and such a person. I agree that the people involved need to be informed that they have been exposed, but they don't need to know by whom.

It really boils down to the person infected to be responsible. Some people will take their medicine and abstain for the required treatment time, other people however, won't.

Education and privacy are 2 major issues. If the infected individual seeks the treatment they need and the information is there on why treatment is so important and about the STD itself, the infected individual will more likely comply once they understand. There's a better chance of compliance when everything is said and done in complete confidentiality.

Besides, what if someone said something and made up a story that they got infected by such and such a person, when actually they didn't? What if someone was informed who infected them and then they went to this person and did horrible things to them or their family? This kind of stuff happens. Telling someone who infected who does not aide in the prevention, lowering the infection rate, or curing an STD. Education and treatment in complete confidentiality does.