PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT: Fake PayPal Emails

wsjb78
09-24-2003, 06:32 AM
Hiya,

I just received this email

Please verify your information today!
Dear Paypal Member.

Your account has been randomly flagged in our system as a part of our routine security measures. This is a must to ensure that only you have access and use of your paypal account and to ensure a safe Paypal experience. We require all flagged accounts to verify their information on file with us. To verify your information, click here and enter the details requested. After you verify your information, your account shall be returned to good standing and you will continue to have full use of your account.

Thank you for using PayPal!

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered.

The URL submitted in the Email is this:

http://www.paypal.com/@211.113.186.42/pp/processing.htm

Note the "@" sing!!!!

You can access password protected webpages and ftp servers through your browser like this:

http://USERNAME:PASSWORD@domain.com
ftp://USERNAME:PASSWORD@domain.com

So the given URL will go to this IP address: 211.113.186.42 and the www.paypal.com before the @ is there just to trick people into believing it's a paypal.com site!

wsjb78

Mpegmaster
09-24-2003, 07:18 AM
Yes i have got these mails Before too!
But ofcourse different formats i think!

Lots of people have been tricked like this! :eek:

Evil Chris
09-24-2003, 09:51 AM
I am very careful about stuff like this.
I check the headers of any email similar to this that I get. You just never know. Example... At least once a month I have someone trying to hack into my EBay account. I have no idea why, but I get the password change/retrieval email like someone is trying to access my account.

Rochard
09-24-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Evil Chris
I am very careful about stuff like this.
I check the headers of any email similar to this that I get. You just never know. Example... At least once a month I have someone trying to hack into my EBay account. I have no idea why, but I get the password change/retrieval email like someone is trying to access my account.

I'm pretty sure adult webmasters would see right through this.

wsjb78
09-24-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Rochard
I'm pretty sure adult webmasters would see right through this.

I doubt that... there was this one webmaster that we just got the first 4 spots in "his" google category... well, we didn't intend to rank there anyway... he first claimed trademark infringement... we thought just peanuts... it's not a category we want to be listed anyway...

Then I mailed that guy, that we did alter those keywords...

Soon afterwards that guy sent us back an email saying that we have removed nothing and that we should not try to trick him or he will call a lawyer...

I then asked him on what URL we did not alter those keywords....

Guess what:

That guy sent us the Google search result page where, of course, we are still listed... that guy was under the impression that we can just remove those indexed keywords from Google at will....

And that guy operates a paysite!!!

People are just plain stupid. What for you seems the most normal, easy detecable, most logic things you would be surprised how many people will not have a clue what you're talking about. So I assume quite a fair number of webmasters would not have noticed that.
Q.E.D.

wsjb78