PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if...

firehorse
09-24-2003, 12:59 PM
...every time you uploaded your sites someone hacked you and deleted ALL your work?

This has happened to Uncle Fester from sexcontents (http://www.sexcontents.com) repeatedly and he has been working 24/7 only to see it happen again!

Good people are hard to find as most of you would know, Uncle Fester has been having trouble the past few months with a persistrnt hacker compromising the security of his machine!

For someone who has given so much, he is now on the verge of losing everything he has worked so hard for, since the Internet was a baby!

He's lost his plug-ins, uploads, is losing customers, losing lots of weight and now he's losing his mind! :?

Uncle Fester has given a hand to so many people in this biz. In fact he helped lots of people get started, including Kitty!

He has given away thousands upon thousands of $$$ in prizes!

Now he needs our help. Let's keep it real and give him the $$$ he needs to get new hardware, cgi scripts, an army of technicians and to replace the money he has lost from the loss of his plug-ins and buy some Valium for the crew working 24/7!

All donations go directly to Uncle Fester at HIS PayPal account!

webmaster@sexcontents.com

Anyone who donates will receive a resource listing, design, content, traffic and other prizes! As well as the satisfaction of helping one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet!

And a very very special bonus for anyone who donates over $500!

Peace and Profit

Kitty and Dakota :)

wsjb78
09-24-2003, 01:48 PM
Hmm, if this happened repeadetly, why didn't he hire some Sys Guru to secure the server and tracking the hacker down?

Also having a second machine for complete system images backups is a good idea... if something goes wrong you can play the images back in no time...

I know this is a bit late I wonder why he didn't do that?

NetRodent
09-24-2003, 03:30 PM
What would you do if every time you uploaded your sites someone hacked you and deleted ALL your work?

wsjb has it right. I would secure my box.

1. I'd start with a fresh install of the latest version of freebsd.

2. Use different passwords than I used on the compromised box.

3. Close any unnecessary ports. For a webserver I'd have only port
80 (http) and port 23 (ssh) open. I'd also limit the ip address ranges
allowed to connect to ssh.

4. Get rid of all scripting on the website, pending review of each line of code.

5. Set up an intrusion detection system.