PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a software/script.....

Fyrflygrl
10-09-2003, 10:37 AM
Help!

I need a software or script (and have NO idea what you'd call it) that searches an entire site for a keyword or set of keywords.....

Any ideas?
:confused:

Fyrflygrl

wsjb78
10-09-2003, 10:47 AM
Search Function built into Internet Explorer or do you need an automated thing?

Fyrflygrl
10-09-2003, 01:50 PM
I need an automated thing... something that will search every page of the site, without having to load each page individually...

I've never heard of such a thing.. but haven't looked for it or needed it until now....

Thanks!

Fyrflygrl! ;)

wsjb78
10-09-2003, 02:58 PM
Well, in order to search every page you must know where every page is and it must load them...
You'd need to follow all links first to get each html document and then search each one.... that can be done.

Fyrflygrl
10-09-2003, 03:16 PM
Well, I've figured out this much with a friend's help, and I'll share it just in case it could help someone else: You can use google to search a site for any particular keyword, like this:

keyword site:domainname.com

The only problem with this: some of the pages of the site may be excluded from search by the robots.txt file .... so I'm still stumped for a solution to do this more 'automatically'...

Another thing I've found that says it will search keywords in a site is a site download software called Teleport Pro... we'll see how it pans out :)

THANKS!

Fyrflygrl!

modF
10-10-2003, 02:01 PM
You could put soemthing together to follow the links on a site then just grep/strpos for the matching terms.