PDA

View Full Version : The Tragically Hip

barryf
10-17-2002, 05:09 AM
Was anybody else here at the Tragically Hip concert last night in TO? I know there are some Hip fans on this board!

I had no plans to see them but wound up going at the last minute. We got there just as they went on. I have to say they are one of those bands that just sound better live.

Great show, great band!

B

firehorse
10-17-2002, 07:35 AM
Hey barryf,

I have not seen Tragically Hip live.

We live in Australia though.

I do agree with there being no better way to hear a band than to see them live. The atmosphere adds another dimension.

I have seen many acts live and this rarely changes.:bonk:

Evil Chris
10-17-2002, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by barryf
Was anybody else here at the Tragically Hip concert last night in TO? I know there are some Hip fans on this board!

I had no plans to see them but wound up going at the last minute. We got there just as they went on. I have to say they are one of those bands that just sound better live.

Great show, great band!
B

I've seen the Hip only once... Remember when they were doing those "Another Roadside Attraction" festivals? They closed out the fest I saw in 1996 I think. Also saw Midnight Oil and Daniel Lanois during that one. The others I forget, which probably means ther were forgettable. LOL

Terrence
10-17-2002, 08:00 AM
They are my favorite band of all time

:xthumbs: :xthumbs: :xthumbs:

Magnus3x
10-17-2002, 01:09 PM
I saw them at the Molson Amph in the Summer before I moved to Van.. I saw them for the first time in 88 opening for Blue Rodeo at the Spectrum in Montreal. They were electric and insane on stage.. then the roadside shows were ok.. not the best stuff.. then I've seen them a whack of times after that.. the best was New years 2000 shows. I think they have moved on in years and lost a bit of the fire that made them what they are. Even the last album did the shits.

I love em still but mostly for the older albums now and I dont think I will see them in a large venue ever again.

Shann
10-17-2002, 05:02 PM
SHIT if i left my place more then once every 3 days i bet i would have known they were playing last night! Fuuuuck i'm pretty sure it was walking distance from my place, UGH

First time i saw the Hip was at Edgefest before they called it Edgefest, when you could buy the concert tickets only at Pizza Pizza for like $5 LOL They were second last and Gord Downie burnt his cowboy boots on stage since it was the end of thier tour! LOL The last band was none other then.... The Box, are they still kicking around Quebec?

barryf
10-19-2002, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by Terrence
They are my favorite band of all time

:xthumbs: :xthumbs: :xthumbs:

I LOVE THEM TOO! ROCK ON!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

B

ric knows nina
10-19-2002, 02:34 PM
I never really heard them before. They've always been the band with the best name that I've never heard. Someone, turn me on to their shit. Let me know what to listen to please:)

Slim!
10-19-2002, 02:54 PM
The hip is the perfect background or driving music. I saw them at Another Roadside Attraction in the States and at the Molson center. They are a really good band that seems to be popular in certain part of the states, its weird like that.

Here are some of my favorites in case you want to sample a few tunes..

"Locked in the trunk of a car"
"Courage"
"Little Bones"
"Ahead by a century"
"bobcaygeon"
"Ahead by a century"
"Gift Shop"
"Yawning or Snarling"
"Fully Completely"
"Blow at HighDough"

and of course one of their biggest hits "New Orleans is Sinking"

Heres their website (http://www.thehip.com/)

ric knows nina
10-19-2002, 04:25 PM
nice... thanks Slim!

Evil Chris
10-19-2002, 07:52 PM
Ric... their best CD in my opinion is called "Fully Completely"...

But you have to download the song "New Orleans is Sinking"... That song is their true sound that made them big... :xthumbs:

Evil Chris
10-19-2002, 08:03 PM
Firehorse... this thread has re-newed my interest in The Tragically Hip...

Here, grab New Orleans is Sinking (http://www.evil-chris.com/thehip.mp3) here... :D
That song is from their album "Up to Here" but as I said, Fully Completely is by far their best work.

Check out www.allmusic.com Great site for finding music you never knew you liked!

luke
10-19-2002, 10:00 PM
I had to listen to it since it had New Orleans in the name. Not really my type of music though. Where are they from?

Evil Chris
10-19-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by luke
I had to listen to it since it had New Orleans in the name. Not really my type of music though. Where are they from?

They are from Kingston, Ontario. Gord Downie is the main guru in the band... a bit of an eccentric guy, but a great songwriter/singer.
I love the guitar licks in that song... always have. :cool:

barryf
10-20-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by ric knows nina
I never really heard them before. They've always been the band with the best name that I've never heard. Someone, turn me on to their shit. Let me know what to listen to please:)

Ric, Go out and buy "Up To Here". Then listen to. That's all it takes. ;)

The cool thing about this band is that if you are from the southern USA you can still see them play in small venues, unlike the arenas they play here. A friend of mine who was originally from Ottawa but living in Dallas caught them playing a club gig... that's worth the trip to Dallas!

B