PDA

View Full Version : Sky Watching

Evil Chris
10-30-2003, 10:59 PM
Lot's of Northern Lights in our region tonight.

Check the conditions here and then look outside to the north-west.
http://www.sec.noaa.gov/pmap/pmapN.html

Tonight in Montreal there are nice bright green lights in the sky. :)

Evil Chris
10-30-2003, 11:13 PM
I thought I'd add a photo to this. I have just started taking pictures of northern lights. I hope to get one like this someday.
http://skychasers.net/mcgee01-004521.jpg

Mefo
10-31-2003, 05:55 AM
I wish we had that kind of great natural wonders over here!

Magnus3x
10-31-2003, 12:25 PM
I used to live in the NWT and traveled as far north as Inuvik and Tuktoyuktuk...up there you get every color of the spectrum and they dance with evil rhythem...so wild!!

I love the Northern Lights.

luke
10-31-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Mefo
I wish we had that kind of great natural wonders over here!

I hear ya, if I saw something like that in new orleans I'd figure it was a gas leak! haha

Evil Chris
10-31-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Magnus3x
I used to live in the NWT and traveled as far north as Inuvik and Tuktoyuktuk...up there you get every color of the spectrum and they dance with evil rhythem...so wild!!

I love the Northern Lights. Tuktoyuktuk? Damn that is FAR north bro... Didn't Molson do a promo rock concert up there a few years ago?

Yeah these Northern Lights are a bit of a rarity for us here in Montreal. We don't often get them this strong. First time I saw them I was in northern Norway. They extended from the horizon stright up above our heads. Amazing, and I've been hooked ever since.

twinkley
10-31-2003, 01:46 PM
Thats awesome!!!

I have never seen the northern lights personally, and Im sure that the pics dont do them justice ... but wooooow ....

Gonna be really strong for a while thanks to the sun band explosions (yeah, i know, not the technical term - but i cant think of it right now hahaha)

CME maybe? coronal mass explosion? Anyone know??

twinkley

hyatla
10-31-2003, 01:58 PM
That is beautiful, thanks. That's another point Canada gains over America. :)

hyatla
10-31-2003, 01:58 PM
Oh, wait a minute, I think they can see it in Alaska too. :blush: