PDA

View Full Version : What's Important for Adult Web Hosting?

webmail
12-10-2003, 02:28 PM
I've spend the last 8 years in the web hosting industry. I've successfully build two different popular hosting businesses. I'm extremely familar with the industry, and rarely see the outside of the datacenter. :-P I'm starting a brand new company specifically for Adult hosting. What advice, and features are important to the adult hosting community?

I've done quite a bit of research (and I could be wrong) but it seems like every adult hosting company isn't really geared specifically toward adult hosting. Most seem to have just the same features found at any host but "allow adult content". What things are important to adult webmasters when they host? Special scripts? What would make your life easier? What does your current host "not get" about your buiness needs?

I'm trying to develop "killer" features I can offer. Some ideas are built in adult TGP scripts, galleries, payment intergrations, and so on.

What are your thoughts, rants, raves, or ideas about adult hosting in general?

Thank you!

wsjb78
12-10-2003, 04:20 PM
There are two key issues for me that needs to be taken care of:

1.) Uptime
2.) Support (if server problems arise, helpint optimizing server for scripts and things....)

webmail
12-10-2003, 04:29 PM
Those are my two biggest ones. The added one is premium bandwidth, two many companies using cogent or other not stable bandwidth. All the servers I have use the best bandwidth available on the planet, and have 100% on the network. Another small detail is the kinda of network cards put in the server. Most companies use 10/100 cards which is good. Great companies use fiber 100/1000 gige cards which makes a big difference if it's hooked up to premium bandwidth.

What else?

Thanks for the feedback.

Panky
12-11-2003, 12:19 AM
Reliability / Stability

Top-notch customer service, and 24/7 tech support that knows what they are doing.

Speed

Bandwidth: If a client wants premium, give it to them, but at a reasonable and competitive price. Bandwidth is a major issue. Work with the client on exactly what they will need to start and then be able accomodate them as they grow.

Being able to work with a client on what they need. Offering packages is fine. For others, they are going to want to customize. Be able to have the skill to evaluate what this person needs, and then put together a package that best suits them. Hardware, software, OS, scripts, bandwidth, speed, security...

Programmer(s): Either have someone in house, people you source out to, or recommendations. Scripts may need to be installed, or troubleshooting when errors occur. Not just CGI scripts either. You can offer scripts for people according to what they will be using the server for. TGP/MGP, members areas, link exchanges, bulk emailing, msg. board, advertising...

C-Panel or something similar is helpful for some webmasters. They can add domains, add email... and they don't need to contact tech support to do simple tasks they can do themselves.

Hosting is very competitive. You need to make a profit. It's a business. At the same time, offer pricing that is reasonable. Webmasters will refer other webmasters if they know they are getting the tech support, customer service, and a good deal for their set-up.

Each webmaster has different priorities. For example, some will pay a few cents more for the same bandwidth from you than they would a competitor because they know their server stays connected and your tech support is top notch. They may get good deals from a competitor, but if they have too much down time, or scripts won't work, or various other headaches, the client loses a hell of a lot more than just what they saved by choosing a competitor.