PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in GOD?

Darin
10-21-2002, 08:22 PM
Well do YOU?

ARiA
10-22-2002, 10:52 AM
something on your mind or do you really want to hear everyones oppinion on the matter?
:huh:

Darin
10-22-2002, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by ARiA
something on your mind or do you really want to hear everyones oppinion on the matter?
:huh:

Curious.. even more now looking at the poll results. Is god taboo or something? Why nobody is posting to this thread. Interesting.

XxXotic
10-22-2002, 01:28 PM
i'm agnostic :)

Magnus3x
10-22-2002, 01:38 PM
What is God ? who is God...? Ala..? Buddha? or are you talking about Christian God, Jahova's God.. one can't be so general these days. I'm sure there are alot of religious adult webmasters who will probably have to hide their occupation from the beliefs of their religion.

I am not religious.. I don't practice any form of religion or lean towards any religion. If I did I would be Buddhist and be an "enlightened one". I love sex too much though.:p

gunner
10-22-2002, 03:54 PM
i know my place in hell was reserved long ago

twinkley
10-22-2002, 03:57 PM
I am with Magnus on this one...

I am not a religious person, as a matter of fact, I am an anti-religious person. Religion is just another set of laws made up by fat white rich guys to get people to do what they want.... or wanted at the time.

That being said I do believe in a higher power. Call it whatever you want, God, Fate, Allah, nature.....I refuse to believe that everything happens by coincidence...

twinkley

ARiA
10-22-2002, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by twinkley

I am not a religious person, as a matter of fact, I am an anti-religious person. Religion is just another set of laws made up by fat white rich guys to get people to do what they want.... or wanted at the time.

That being said I do believe in a higher power. Call it whatever you want, God, Fate, Allah, nature.....I refuse to believe that everything happens by coincidence...

twinkley

I'm with you!

:angel:

JFK
10-22-2002, 04:38 PM

twinkley

VerY Good

"Religion is just another set of laws made up by fat white rich guys to get people to do what they want"

My Exact sentiments! Just another form of control ! And Yes I think there is a Higher Power, but not the one these guys are selling !!

Funbrunette
10-22-2002, 04:57 PM
I think it would be pretty arrogant to not beleive in a higher being...I usually have a rule about not discussing relegion and politics. ;) I think I'll plead the fifth! :angel:

Bree
10-22-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Darin

Curious.. even more now looking at the poll results. Is god taboo or something? Why nobody is posting to this thread. Interesting.

okay here's my 2 cents for what it's worth...

I've said this before...

Religion is like a form of B&D.. just consider most songs, chants, etc..

You are Lord
You are the Only One
I will do as you wish
Your will is mine
I am unworthy but only say the word and I shall be yours

etc etc...

Man made words.. "inspired" by God....

I do believe in a higher power. However, I don't pretend to understand that higher power.

I think people feel safety in numbers. It is easier to express your opinion if that opinion is shared by a group... easier to oppress others and wag your finger at those you think are wrong.
Easier to be a martyr.

There is for some people, comfort and security in the "known." By establishing rituals, group events, and such you establish routine.. safe, known guidelines and morals... The responsibility of knowing God is shared and one can blindly follow along.

It's much more challenging to question what is presented as fact. To determine what God is on a more personal basis as opposed to group thought.

I go to church on occasion. But I don't need to be in church to converse with my God. I don't need a priest to act as my conduit to a higer power.

The way I treat my neighbors, friends, and family are part of my personal relationship with my God. I may not tithe at every Sunday's offereing b/c I believe that helping people in my life is just as important. When a fellow instructor's parents died and he had to fly back to Uganda, I sent a donation to help with expenses..... When my daughter asks for money to go on a field trip, I send two or three times that amount to pay for the kids who don't have money ... so everyone can go.

The Bible has many authors from many different cultures and periods. Is it the word of God? I dunno.. It was inspired writing... written from the heart no doubt...

Bottom line I think is how you live your life, how you love your family and friends, how you treat others.. how you treat yourself!!

JMHO :angel:

Tobbe
10-22-2002, 05:38 PM
I believe i am GOD.

ric knows nina
10-22-2002, 05:44 PM
God doesn't exist in the way people have tried to explain it. It can't be communicated as well as it can be experienced. I have a definite sense of God. God, I hate using that word God.

We are the big and the little cheese. We are caught in something very big, part of some substance we don't get completely. But I have NO doubt.

Funbrunette, you're right it. It would be arrogant to not think something higher than us exists, or that we are higher than what we think. Like people who got surprised and excited when we found microscopic cells on Mars... "There's life in other places besides earth?" well of course, life is life and it is everywhere.

subjectively realizing that you are responsible for checking your own ego helps make more god for everyone. I got a trademark on that too :bonk:

Magnus3x
10-22-2002, 06:03 PM
I think it would be pretty arrogant to not beleive in a higher being

I hear that alot and it's never really explained as to why it would be an arrogant thought. It may be arrogant to someone who believes in a "higher being". Are we alone in this Universe.. I don't think we are.. is there life after death? I certainly think there is.

I think it's way more arrogant to push something on someone and claim they will be "damned" if they don't do this...this...and this.

I agree religion is a stay away topic though, everyone is different in what they believe in. I respect everyones beliefs and I would never say anything against another persons beliefs, sad I don't get the same respect.
When I get visitors at my door I always tell them right off the bat, I wont buy anything but I would like to hear what you have to say. I may engage in topic and I always thank them for their time:)

LadySharlot
10-22-2002, 07:04 PM
I believe that I need to be the best person that I can.

I believe that there is a higher power, but he doesn't live within the four walls of a building.

I believe that "Tolerance" is a goal in which many preach but few actually do. THAT is the one religion I try to maintain myself. :) I try to be tolerant of others, their beliefs.

I would say a lot more...but I REALLY don't want to go there. :D

Huggs!
Lady Sharlot :-)

AWolf
10-22-2002, 08:49 PM
Yes this is a taboo subject. It is also one that sets me off and not care who I offend. As to the original question. Absolutely not. I'm assuming the question is being asked from a Christian pov. I have nothing but contempt for Christianity. The deal the early church made with the Emperor of Rome was to adjust church doctrine to match that of the Imperial cult in exchange for becoming the official Church of Rome. All of that sexual repression, women are property, obedience to the father (incidentally, a father in Ancient Rome could order a retroactive abortion of any of his children regardless of age or marital status), and so on is pure Ancient Roman family values. The Church became a tool of government to keep the population in line. The concept of humans going to hell never appeared in Christian literature until the 1600s. It was introduced to try to put a stop to the Reformation. The epitome of hypocrisy, the Protestants fully embraced the concept of hell because it is such a wonderful tool to keep a population in line. The Pope was saying "do what I say or you will go to hell" and the Protestants were saying "listen to the Pope and you will go to hell." The writings of the New Testament were inspired by social engineers, not a deity.

ric knows nina
10-22-2002, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Magnus3x

I think it's way more arrogant to push something on someone and claim they will be "damned" if they don't do this...this...and this.

You are right, and that's why politics and religion are not two seperate entities. They stabilize each other. Religion can and has been used to dominate and control.

I don't claim to know what the deal is, and I would never try to make someone else believe what I do. I like subjective interpretations of life. Add them together and maybe you got something.

The best place to look for god is far away from religion.

Zebra
10-23-2002, 02:53 AM
The question is, does he believe in ME!?!

twinkley
10-23-2002, 09:56 AM
Bree,

I agree, people are more comfortable expessing themselves when they are not alone in their beliefs...

However, I think "religion" over the centuries has taken that idea and warped it to benefit the people who have given themselves powere of it. I have a problem with anyone telling me that THEY KNOW what God (or whatever they choose to call the higher power) wants from you, and if you dont do what they say, you will (in the immortal words of eric cartman) "go to hell and you die!" Somehow, I have the worst time believing that god cares if we use birth control, are homosexual, or (gasp) dont go to church every sunday.

I would much rather have an informed, intelligent discussion with anyone regarding god, and their beliefs than go to church to be ranted at by someone who has a "better" connection with god than I do. Even if the person I am talking to has a completely different set of beliefs, I will listen - and voice my own opinion. The fact of the matter is everyone has a different set of beliefs - even those that congregate at the same church.

In the end, all that really matters is that you are a good person. We all know the basic differences between right and wrong and choose what we do with it.

twinkley

luke
10-23-2002, 10:17 AM
I agree with Twinkly. I'm not going to say I'm a certain religion but I do believe there is something up there...what it is, I have no idea. But I'm not going to spend every second of my life worshiping it. I don't think that's what I'm here for.

Funbrunette
10-23-2002, 11:50 AM
It's obvious that humans aren't the higher beings!!! Just look at what we've done and what were doing to each other!!! Wars, Sept/11, killers etc...

If evolution is the grand mechanism that has produced all natural things from a simple gas, surely this mechanism must be easily seen. It should be possible to prove its existence in a matter of weeks or days, if not hours. Yet scientists have been bombarding countless generations of fruit flies with radiation for several decades in order to show evolution in action and still have only produced ... more (deformed) fruit flies. How reasonable is it to believe that evolution is a fact when even the simplest of experiments has not been able to document it?

Then wouldn't God be our creator?

:confused:

Darin
10-23-2002, 11:57 AM
First of all, someone call 911 on Tobbe, I think he is the sniper.

and..

I thought I would see some stronger opinions on this thread, but looks like everyone is being very passive and agreeable... Except for Wolf lol

It's funny how people are passive and respectful of others when it comes to religion, but they will not think twice about openly expressing their sexual lifestyle.

I think to most, someones choice of lifestyle is more offending than their belief in god/religion.

Everyones heard the rumor about a certain somebody in the office and what freaky sexual things they are into, and that causes a greater reaction that hearing that someone in the office beleives in a certain god. God certainly doesnt change the way most people do business with eachother, so I see no reason to not openly talk about it.

Im sure more people would be offended by hearing about some of the freaky, kinky shit some of us like to do in the bedroom :P

Cathedra
10-23-2002, 12:07 PM
V. busy so I'm gonna make this short and sweet:

There are two things I refuse to talk about on boards, poltics and religion. I believe what I need to believe to get me though the day, and keep me positive. Whatever works for the individual whether it be God, Budha, Jah, or if you worship your own penis...whatever floats your boat! As long as you don't try to push it on anyone else or step on any toes, and it doesn't make you sacrifice any living things..it's all good!

tah dah :bonk:

Phoenix
10-23-2002, 12:09 PM
Well i'm not very religious...never have been.

Until the other week i had never stepped foot inside of a church unless you count community service at the soup kitchen worship?

just kidding.
Truthfully though, it was my first time, and i went to an ultra catholic wedding, mixed with some celtic whatever..hope i don't offend anyone.

but it was just a little too much for me, sit down stand up, i didn't know the moves or the words. But i respect peoples right to wroship. i just don't have time for it. i try to be nice, i don't even kill bugs, i will usually throw them outside, except spiders, they all die, those bastards.
I even slow down if i'm crossing the street at the same time as an old lady so i get to the other side at the sme time, damn i'm such a boy scout...country manners...i was raised in the summer by my grandparents..
oh religion ya, whatever. try to be nice to people, dont kill anyone, dont sleep with married women...good rules to live by, there are some others, but i cant remeber them
:bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

how's that for off centre darin?

Darin
10-23-2002, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Python_brad
Well i'm not very religious...never have been.

oh religion ya, whatever. try to be nice to people, dont kill anyone, dont sleep with married women...good rules to live by, there are some others, but i cant remeber them
:bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

how's that for off centre darin?

I refuse to believe in ANYTHING that restricts me from sleeping with married women.

ABSOLUTEY REFUSE!!!

Cyndalie
10-23-2002, 12:35 PM
Simply put: God is Light. We may be they eyes God has created to see the light (or life).

I've never heard of someone going to hell because they believe in God. No harm, no foul, best to keep your mind open.

12:00 on a Wed is not time to get philosphical LOL

XXX
10-23-2002, 12:45 PM
It's all bullshit.

twinkley
10-23-2002, 12:59 PM
I am passive and respectful about all things.... well... most things....

okay.... some things....

Not spiders tho. They die here too Brad (I make aaron kill em, its the heroic thing to do)

twinkley

Magnus3x
10-23-2002, 01:07 PM
Did hear about the dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac???

He lies in bed all night wondering if there's a dog.:D

ric knows nina
10-23-2002, 02:12 PM
Darin, I'm still waiting to hear your opinions on the subject, thread starter :)
Tell us what you think.

Being Tolerant is not being passive at all. Tolerance means being proactive enough to stop yourself from attacking idiots, because you realize they have the right to be idiots. :)

Darin
10-23-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by ric knows nina
Darin, I'm still waiting to hear your opinions on the subject, thread starter :)
Tell us what you think.

Being Tolerant is not being passive at all. Tolerance means being proactive enough to stop yourself from attacking idiots, because you realize they have the right to be idiots. :)

I don't believe in god.

twinkley
10-23-2002, 04:09 PM
So then what do you believe in? What do you believe makes stuff happen?

twinkley

Darin
10-23-2002, 04:24 PM
So then what do you believe in? What do you believe makes stuff happen?

twinkley

I believe in myself. ;)

Tafkap
10-23-2002, 04:40 PM
One of my idol (guess who) uses to say "Love is God, God is love, Girls and Boys love God above".

I really can't agree with that so i can't say i believe in God when i see the whole mess on our planet : war, pain, food starving, epidemy... If God is love, WTF then??

I can be tolerant and i'd rather be a buddhist cause that religion doesn't force u to worship someone... and if i did have to believe in someone, it would definitely be me!!!

Peace & B Wild!

:bonk:

twinkley
10-23-2002, 04:57 PM
Tafkap,

In response to all those horrible things that happen...

How would you know the good, if you didnt know the bad?

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.... this includes good/bad. If everything was eden, how would we grow as people?

twinkley

Hashishan
10-23-2002, 05:11 PM
*i am an anti-religious person, and hereafter will refer to God as Dog*

silly question:
why do people think creation and evolution are incompatible? how long is a day for Dog? 24 hours, millions of years? i have asked the fat guy passing around the collection plate. he didnt know

another silly question:
is it possible that there are people in the world who are so screwed up, the only way that you can get them to be nice is to threaten those people with being burned alive for eternity? if Dog loves you will it burn you alive for being its own flawed creation?

if there is a Dog, he is a dick. if there is a hell i want to go there. i mean, if you are stuck there and it is really hot its not like you have a choice right? get over it and start fryin

see you in church on sunday (not)

(if anyone is offended by this: i am simply airing my views. if my views anger you because they do not match your own, perhaps you need to re-evaluate yourself as a person)

Bree
10-23-2002, 05:24 PM
My ex is a matyr.. He thinks that whatever he says goes b/c it's said in the name of God.. he says masturbation is wrong and he thinks gays are the scourge of the earth... He's a pinhead... :twisted:

Spiders die b/c they are too pompous...and creepy..

As for someone's sexuality.. I don't make any judgements about anyone .. whatever fucking floats your boat ... .but I don't condone KP or beastiality b/c it involves parties that have no say in what happens..

As long as you live like a decent person with respect for life and nature... I think that about covers it.

:respect: :xthumbs:

ric knows nina
10-23-2002, 07:58 PM

I don't believe in god.

simple and to the point

Darin
10-23-2002, 08:18 PM

simple and to the point

I like the new avatar bro, better than the BALD you.. hehe :)

Dugmor
10-23-2002, 08:53 PM
Well do YOU?

Yes do .......... and I believe GOD created the Fish-Hook !

http://www.joinrightnow.com/images/advertising/fish_hook/handofgod.jpg

Sid
10-23-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Dugmor

Yes do .......... and I believe GOD created the Fish-Hook !

http://www.joinrightnow.com/images/advertising/fish_hook/handofgod.jpg

I am sure I'm not the only one but enough with the fish hooking already its a getting a bit much. sorry but that is all you seem to have to talk about.

ric knows nina
10-23-2002, 11:11 PM

I like the new avatar bro, better than the BALD you.. hehe :)

that's why I keep a wide array of toupes. you think I'm fooling anyone?

Raya
10-24-2002, 12:35 AM
Never thought I would see this as a thread. But I'm glad.
I'm also glad to see a lot of honest responses to the question too.
I'm Pagan.
On my way to my first convention last year I was told to not wear my goddess pendant. I asked why, I was told some people might not be able to deal with it. I responded that if I could wear it when I worked in one of the most uptight conservative institutions a bank (Art department) around all those blue suits. That if I had to hide it at the convention well... I wore it. No one ever said anything negative. I found people responded with curiosity, and compliments some just smiled.

I was raised Roman Catholic, had a part of my family become witnesses, I was intensely exposed to that for 4 years, a group of very close friends have covered almost all the other major faiths. Let's just say I have had a smattering of exposure to many different religious ideas and teachings. I chose my faith, I believe everyone has the right to choose for themselves. I don't preach my beliefs but if someone asks me questions I will answer them.

Bruno Dickman
10-24-2002, 09:26 AM
"Today a man on acid realized that all matter is energy condensed on a slow vibration; that we are one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, we are the imagination of ourselves." GOD is that one consciousness.

Take care,

Bruno Dickman

Darin
10-24-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Bruno Dickman
"Today a man on acid realized that all matter is energy condensed on a slow vibration; that we are one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, we are the imagination of ourselves." GOD is that one consciousness.

Take care,

Bruno Dickman

One positive thing drugs have brought to the world is the ability to think outside the box.

Bruno Dickman
10-24-2002, 03:42 PM
WAAAAAAAAY OUT SOMETIMES! :D

Danny_C
10-24-2002, 08:04 PM
It's arrogant to believe we're created in "God's" image. It's arrogant to believe we're here as part of some grand scheme. It's humble, in my opinion, to believe that we're just a part of the whole.

Someone mentioned that nobody ever went to hell for believing... that sounds a lot like Pascal's Wager... Basically, "better safe than sorry".

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/pascal-wager/
(Be sure the read the objections).
http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/arguments.html#pascal
(More simply worded objections)

Everyone keeps saying they believe in a higher power... although they don't know what that is. It was also said that evolution is doubtful because it hasn't been reproduced in labs. I'm sorry, but science has a good idea of the answers. Because they're still working on the details doesn't mean the answers aren't there, or that we're not heading in the right direction.

The universe is a giant mass of evolving and expanding matter and energy, and we're just a part of that mass... constantly evolving, adapting, and creating. I don't think that's a hard pill to swallow. We don't die when we go away... we're still a part of the universe.

It's ridiculous to think that somebody just waved a wand or jiggled his nose and we appeared. It's ridiculous to think that there's some guiding force apart from ourselves. You could say that the sum of the parts (the universe as a whole) takes on a consciousness of its own... and I don't think that's a ridiculous thing to lean your beliefs toward... but that's not God.

Danny_C
10-24-2002, 08:08 PM
Bill Hicks was a man of great wisdom. :)

mailman
10-25-2002, 01:06 AM
wow suprising on how the total votes is virtual down the center...

but what can be said when only like 20 ppl have voted, lol

GOD
10-25-2002, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Tobbe
I believe i am GOD.

YOU WISH !!

As for the rest of you ... I am taking notes :D

ric knows nina
10-25-2002, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Danny_C
Bill Hicks was a man of great wisdom. :)

and what a mouth he had to spew it!

Darin
10-25-2002, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by GOD

YOU WISH !!

As for the rest of you ... I am taking notes :D

I don't believe in you, you don't exist. Go away. ::-|

GOD
10-25-2002, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Bree
My ex says masturbation is wrong and he thinks gays are the scourge of the earth...

WTF ?!?
Even I rub one out every now and then ... where do you think sunshowers come from ?

As far as my "official" stand on gays ... I think 2 women making out is awesome !!

But I'll admit I fucked up with the 2 guy thing .. sorry :(

twinkley
10-25-2002, 09:42 AM
Danny C

One day, out of the blue, after no-one knows how long, a bunch of gases randomly interacted with space dust and
there was a big explosion (in the vaccuum of space) and thats how it all got started? Then, somehow, once our planet had formed and cooled, water appeared then, over millions of years one celled organizisms evolved (from the water?) which then evolved into bigger creatures (all different) which then evolved into even bigger, smarter creatures, and eventually the monkeys became us? And we will evolve into who knows what over another million years...

My question to this theory is where did the gasses and space debris come from to produce the big bang? How did sentient life come from non-sentient materials?

I know I cant prove that there is a higher power out there - that is faith. You are talking science and science is about proof. Until there is concrete proof of what really happened, and answer all the questions, everyone will continue to believe whatever makes them happiest :)

twinkley

Darin
10-25-2002, 10:33 AM
Now it's getting good :)

Twinkley... you are obviously not a believer in the big bang 'theory'. Remember now, it IS just a theory based on science as we know it today, science being based on facts... facts are only facts once we are aware of them...

We live in a world of facts... in our everyday life we go base everything we do on facts, do we not?

When you get up in the morning, you take a shower (we hope) cause you know if you don't, you will stink at work. Fact.. this fact was unknown I'm sure until someone started to stink. Now that we are aware of it, we take proper actions to avoid stinking, cause well.. it just stinks :)

Now.. you are driving... driving a car that wasn't grown, or didn't just show up from the sky, it was built.. by humans, humans designing the car based on 'facts', that they have learned over the years of car making..

You're in the office.. poor your coffee... cause you know.. the chemicals inside that coffee make you feel like you are awake, compared to how you feel when you just woke up. This is a fact you learned, after trying coffee.. or.. you could have believed based on other peoples experiences, and then just made the plunge and tried coffee yourself..

Everything around us.. and what we do everyday, is based on 'facts' which we have learned over time. Not all facts on this earth are known to us at this time.. and more importantly....

... not all facts can be found and understood with the knowledge we have TODAY...

In time.. own knowledge of the universe and everything else we don't know will be proven, explained, and then be called a 'fact' ... something everyone knows and understands then, like we all know and understand at some level now.

It's taken lifetimes for science to expand and be able to explain the things around us.. and it HAS... thats a fact nobody can deny...

So if science has proven itself, time and time again in human history, why not spend our lifetime extending that science, and move forward in our own lives knowing that whatever we can contribute to this great thing called 'science' in our lifetimes will benefit the next generation of kids who will be looking for even more answers.. answers to things we cannot even imagine in the world we live in today...

and I'll ask this question.. not being sarcastic, or unrespectful at all.. please don't take it the wrong way.. just a question...

... but why would you spend your life, a life based on facts, where everything you do, is based on facts, believing in something not based on fact?

You knock the big bang 'theory' because it has not been 100% proven, yet you 'believe' in something that doesn't exist.

Theory and Belief... both are unproven, both have been used for generations to 'explain' things...

I see no problem believing in GOD, or believing in SCIENCE...

However.. science is based on fact.. and since we live our daily lives based on facts around us.. why not work toward expanding those facts for the next generation...

Why worry about whats going to happen to YOU when you die, when there are more important things to take care of.. our kids...

GOD
10-25-2002, 10:45 AM
OH, BIG BANG MY ASS !!!

And that's exactly what the Big Bang is ... when I fart :(

Who would have ever thought that you humans would provide me with so many hours of entertainment ....

Esp. that one you call Shrub, or Tree ?? No, it's Bush - yea that's the fella ... he's a keeper !!! :D

GOD
10-25-2002, 10:48 AM
And one more thing Danielle ...

Stop coveting thy board owner's wife !
If I had meant you to have big tits, I would have gave 'em to ya woman !!! :rolleyes:

Apollo
10-25-2002, 10:51 AM
science hasn't proven itself.

In fact it contradicts itself more often than proves itself.

The earth was flat until 600 years ago
Currently we believe we're the only people in the universe
Oh, and remember how the sun used to revolve around the earth?

Religion of course is worse...not knocking it but since this is a creation vs. evolution kind of thing ...and the creation theorum originally started with Christianity's beliefs I'll throw my rant in about them =)

- You're supposed to believe in the bible and it's teachings, because the bible tells you to ::-|

- If God is the all powerful and higher being that he is believed to be, how was he created? Does he have a god of his own?

- Dogma was a kickass movie

The key to wisdom is to acknowledge that you know nothing. It's as simple as that. Darin is right that our facts are based on what we know at the current time, but it's all subject to change. Same with religion...organized religions keep changing their ideas and teachings just as much as scientists do. I myself do not believe in a higher being of any type...I do however believe in an afterlife, or at least a different form of existance of our spirits or souls if you will.

I will always be one to question the "facts" of the scientific, and be skeptic of things that are mystic and require faith and trust. But the important thing is to be true to yourself....never conform.

Darin's gerbil agrees with me.

Apollo
10-25-2002, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by GOD
OH, BIG BANG MY ASS !!!

I thought god was against male homosexuality?

GOD
10-25-2002, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Apollo

I thought god was against male homosexuality?

Read the rest of the thread, my son ..
For it is written ...

Apollo
10-25-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Bruno Dickman

Take care,

Bruno Dickman

That goes hand in hand with

"Reality - An illusion caused by lack of alcohol"

I don't know who came up with that...but it's a saying that holds true to my heart :D

GOD
10-25-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Apollo
You're supposed to believe in the bible and it's teachings, because the bible tells you to ::-|

Yes.

If the all powerful and higher being that he is believed to be, how was he created? Does he have a god of his own?

Again, yes.

Dogma was a kickass movie

It wasn't bad ...

The key to wisdom is to acknowledge that you know nothing.

You're learning now ...

twinkley
10-25-2002, 11:07 AM
Dammit,

Thats not funny! It shows an acute lack of understanding MY self esteem!!

Yes, dogma is a kick-ass movie :D

twinkley

Evil Chris
10-25-2002, 11:11 AM
Ask yourself this question...

Is it all possible that humans are an accident? What I mean by that is, the fact that humans are aware. Aware of what and who they think they are, and aware that they can change their own personal destinies by making choices?

Is there another being on this planet that is capable of such thinking?
If there isn't.... why not? Of all the living creatures, why is there only one with this capacity of thought? Is it an accident?
Why are human beings special?

McKidd
10-25-2002, 11:12 AM
This is gettin good :xpopcorn:

twinkley
10-25-2002, 11:35 AM
Because we have opposable thumbs :D

We aren't alone in our intelligence, we just havent opened our minds enough to see it

twinkley

Darin
10-25-2002, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Evil Chris

Is it all possible that humans are an accident? What I mean by that is, the fact that humans are aware. Aware of what and who they think they are, and aware that they can change their own personal destinies by making choices?

If there isn't.... why not? Of all the living creatures, why is there only one with this capacity of thought? Is it an accident?

Chris,

Go get a cup of coffee.. better make that two.. then come back and repost that message ::-|

GOD
10-25-2002, 12:01 PM
Dammit,

Thats not funny! It shows an acute lack of understanding MY self esteem!!

Yes, dogma is a kick-ass movie :D

twinkley

Danielle ... you've got great tits ... as well as a great personality. ;)
I usually save the bigger tits for the girls who have nothing else to fall back on ...

You're self esteem is just fine hon!
Remember who you're trying to kid here ...

twinkley
10-25-2002, 12:32 PM
Wahahahahahahahaha

Oh my. I can't believe I just read that....

twinkley
"yes, i have a great personality"

Magnus3x
10-25-2002, 12:53 PM
Well, we can throw the science Vs. the creator topic back and forth all we want, no one is going to convince the other. Pull out all your fave quotes and questions and it wont amount to nothing but meaningless retorts.

Phoenix
10-25-2002, 12:55 PM

dude...ya who knows...It would be interesting to be able to hold a conversation with a dolphin or a pig or a chimp...different for sure. To be able to find out if they are aware of existence or not. Not that we really are, i mean most of us go through life just doing the same steps over and over...(damn-that sounds seriously close to a def'n of insanity)
It's hard to keep a big picture sort of view all the time.

The whole god thing warps my head...i hate to beleive that if i got hit crossing the road that im just dust and that's all she wrote...i'd rather believe in some sort of collective consciousness. Say belonging in a higher dimension...where we are all connected, through the spiritual ethernet...Apparently there is argument for the belief in higher dimensions...i think i can remember it being proved that there are 11 dimensions all interconnected. so...i really like that idea of conciousness just belonging in this particular one, and we move into other facets of ourselves later on....

way better then being worm food.

not meant to offend anyone...just some goobly glop which came out

McKidd
10-25-2002, 12:56 PM
Could be there's a lot to be said for "faith".

Darin
10-25-2002, 01:00 PM
The Matrix.

Now thats a good concept :)

GOD
10-25-2002, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by McKidd
Could be there's a lot to be said for "faith".

Faith Hill gets me HARD :p

one of my better recent works :cool:

NetBabe
10-25-2002, 01:25 PM

I agree.

Therefore I am still wondering ... Do I ... Should I ???

Darin
10-25-2002, 01:26 PM
Oh yeah! Thats one Faith I wouldn't mind being in :)

GOD
10-25-2002, 01:28 PM
WOW Netbabe!

How are you ?

Immaculate conception was a bit of a mistake. How about you and I creating a little saviour the "old-fashioned" way ??? :D

Darin
10-25-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by GOD
WOW Netbabe!

How are you ?

Immaculate conception was a bit of a mistake. How about you and I creating a little saviour the "old-fashioned" way ??? :D

lol

Lowering yourself to our level now huh GOD?

NetBabe
10-25-2002, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by GOD
WOW Netbabe!

How are you ?

GREAT!!!
Sounds like a plan to me, you gonna use that cigar too??? MMMMMM

GOD
10-25-2002, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by NetBabe

GREAT!!!
Sounds like a plan to me, you gonna use that cigar too??? MMMMMM

No ,for you I would break out my Monte Christos !

NetBabe
10-25-2002, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by GOD

No ,for you I would break out my Monte Christos !

Ahhh Dolce Vita ...

Darin
10-25-2002, 04:31 PM
EXCUSE ME BUT...

Your conversation belongs in the OTHER thread thank you.

NetBabe
10-25-2002, 04:39 PM
EXCUSE ME BUT...

Your conversation belongs in the OTHER thread thank you.

WHAT???? I can't change the course of the thread, GOD changes the course of my life. Come on Darin lemme flirt with GOD ... he's hot!!!

Evil Chris
10-25-2002, 04:50 PM
Both of you... 25 Hail Mary's each!! and then it's off to bed with the both of you!

GOD
10-25-2002, 04:52 PM
Both of you... 25 Hail Mary's each!! and then it's off to bed with the both of you!

Who died and made YOU God ?!? :confused:

NetBabe
10-25-2002, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by GOD

Who died and made YOU God ?!? :confused:

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Darin
10-25-2002, 05:19 PM
Does the great Netbabe believe in thy fish hook?

lol

NetBabe
10-25-2002, 05:29 PM
Does the great Netbabe believe in thy fish hook?

lol

That has to be the sickest shit ever ... those beyatches are funny. :}

Tkt2Pardse
10-25-2002, 11:28 PM
wow. heavy.

we are animal. we think, we build and we're smart. we are so smart that we cannot fathom the idea that when we die that's it.

so we invented an afterlife, a God. we are so stuck on ourselves and so full of ourselves that we just can't believe our thoughts, our existence, our reason is for not.

we as a race have a God part of the brain that puts us in a higher catagory as a regular animal, right?

just a theory..lol

i believe in GOD (just in case) lol. I don't want to go to hell or anything ! ya know what i mean? wink wink nudge nudge

Raph
10-26-2002, 10:57 AM
Best piece of advice : believe just in case :p

Vid Vicious
10-26-2002, 01:38 PM
"God is dead and we killed him"

ric knows nina
10-26-2002, 08:28 PM

We aren't alone in our intelligence, we just havent opened our minds enough to see it

twinkley

right on :)

Danny_C
10-27-2002, 12:28 AM
Obviously the "believe just in case" people didn't read the links I posted... or else they would at least back up their logic with an explanation of how believing is safer than disbelieving.

If I believe in one God, don't I risk facing the wrath of all of the other god's, who have forbade me to believe in any other higher power? Seems to me the odds of going to heaven are pretty bad in either case.

And if I believe, I risk being taken advantage of; being manipulated; being taken for a fool.

Here's the biggest danger in belief: You assume you know the answers. Science may not have the answers, but the thing that makes science superior to religion is that theories can be revised. Scientists don't claim to know - the research continues. Religion doesn't search for answers, because it already HAS the answers. In fact, religion is resistant to revision, and THAT makes it dangerous. So what good is a society who stops searching for the truth because they already know the truth? Personally, I would like to see humans evolve a bit further... become more intelligent, expand their consciousness. But religion just doesn't facilitate that.

Think about it... Imagine if a scientist, tomorrow, emeged with undeniable proof of how we were created, and this new theory (which is proven), as nothing to do with God. Let's also assume this knowledge contains warnings crucial for the survival of humanity. Religion would resist his "devilish trickery", he would probably be killed, and chaos would ensue. Religion can get ugly when truth is involved.

So to me, the better odds are in NOT believing.

Twinkley: If you haven't already, read A Brief History of Time. Some of the theories in the book have been put in doubt since the time it was written, but a lot of the ideas are pretty solid. I think you'll come to understand how the big bang is at least a realistic possibility.

And your question, "Where did THAT all come from?" Well, first, the big bang not only spewed out matter - it was the beginning of time itself. There was nothing before the big bang... there was only singularity.

I know that's not a complete or proven answer, but again, scientists admit they don't know yet... they're still searching. But think... God is equally questionable. If he created everything, who created him?

GOD
10-27-2002, 01:51 AM
Danny ... I clarified that in an earlier post, son ...

Allah, Bhudda, India's 10 Gurus, Jehovah, Apollo ... they're all me!

I never figured in a million years that people would become multi-lingual, and find out about each other's Gods ...

Believe in me Danny ... your soul is troubled, and needs guidence ...

GOD
10-27-2002, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Vid Vicious
"God is dead and we killed him"

No ... that was my son, Son.

Raph
10-27-2002, 08:39 AM
Ask yourself this: does it really matter to know...

Believe if it makes you happy
if it smacks a smile on your face, believe.

Don't believe if you think it's futile.
Don't believe if you feel you're losing your time and mind.

Any way you go, go because you want to.
Because that's what matters, really.

If the way you go is the one you chose,
then be happy with it and leave it at that.

(I didn't copy that)

JohnIP
10-27-2002, 10:52 PM
Last I heard God was the bouncer at the Foundation Room...and he has my cubans;)

Darin
10-28-2002, 12:30 AM
Actually, they caught GOD, and his stepson too. Never thought GOD would be driving an old blue car.

ric knows nina
10-28-2002, 03:44 AM
my advice, have a snack and don't worry about it

Raph
10-28-2002, 11:18 AM
my advice, have a snack and don't worry about it

who said snack ??? :D :D :D

Darin
10-28-2002, 12:24 PM
Maybe there is a god, I mean.. how could man/woman create something as delicious as a Krispy Creme Doughnut :)

Must be the work of some higher power.. no doubt.. heheh :D

Vid Vicious
10-28-2002, 12:26 PM
never had a krispy cream ... i've heard they're heavenly

XxXotic
10-28-2002, 12:27 PM
Maybe there is a god, I mean.. how could man/woman create something as delicious as a Krispy Creme Doughnut :)

Must be the work of some higher power.. no doubt.. heheh :D

KRISPY KREME IS THE DEVIL!!!!!!!!

twinkley
10-28-2002, 12:27 PM
Darin,

Refer to the "Good vs. Evil thread"

Krispy Kreme is EVIL therefore God couldn't have created it!

Mmmmmm sooooo eeeeeevil....

twinkley

Evil Chris
10-28-2002, 12:33 PM
Yes, but Kripsy Kreme is the God of doughnuts!!!
I think even Homer Simpson would agree on that...

Vid Vicious
10-28-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by GOD

No ... that was my son, Son.

That was a quote from Nietzsche ... Gees You'd think god would know that ????

Luna
10-28-2002, 12:36 PM
Question?

Lets assume god, heaven and hell exist !

Who is going to hell and who to haven ?

Good person that don't believe in god or bad person that do believe in god?

Darin
10-28-2002, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Luna
Question?

Those who believe in Krispy Kreme (Guess I had the wrong spellin) will already be in heaven :)

Vid Vicious
10-28-2002, 12:45 PM
DOn't know if I'd want to go to Heaven .. Wouldn't it be boring there with all the rules?

Evil Chris
10-28-2002, 05:16 PM
Question?

Hmmm.... one of the better points in the entire thread. :confused:

Danny_C
10-28-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Raph
Ask yourself this: does it really matter to know...

Believe if it makes you happy
if it smacks a smile on your face, believe.

Don't believe if you think it's futile.
Don't believe if you feel you're losing your time and mind.

Any way you go, go because you want to.
Because that's what matters, really.

If the way you go is the one you chose,
then be happy with it and leave it at that.

(I didn't copy that)

Believing because it puts a smile on your face... I hate to use a pop culture comparison, but if you were in The Matrix, would you want to know the truth, or would you prefer the comfortable content of ignorance? I think this is the same. We need to break from tradition and try to move forward as a species. Religion only holds us back from the truth.

Raph
10-28-2002, 07:18 PM

Believing because it puts a smile on your face... I hate to use a pop culture comparison, but if you were in The Matrix, would you want to know the truth, or would you prefer the comfortable content of ignorance? I think this is the same. We need to break from tradition and try to move forward as a species. Religion only holds us back from the truth.

you can see it that way .... truth is, I don't want to spend my time thinking about this whole thing .. so the truth .. well .. really isn't all that important .. at least on that matter, because everyone has its own truth, so have fun finding the right one :p

Evil Chris
10-29-2002, 02:40 PM
A lot of different points of view... and not one pissing match.
I'm impressed. We have a live and let live atmosphere around here.
:xthumbs:

Cal
10-29-2002, 04:42 PM
I was raised Jewish though more as a hobby than anything, not to sound crass. My parents asked me (mother's side is Jewish) whether I wanted to be Bar Mitzvah'ed when I was around 8-9 and I said:

'do I get presents?'

That sealed the deal for me, so I went through the process, it was interesting but I didn't learn much. Then when I was 17 we had a Rabbi who came to my school, so I'd go meet with the little Jew-group because I had nothing else to do. His take on the religion was quite profound, and I felt like it made a lot more sense than all the sacraments and other Christian stuff I had been reading about. He mostly talked about kindness to others and by embodying God's will by basically being kind and nice to everyone. None of the 'chosen people' nonsense, just mostly reading from modern Jewish scholars and authors about modern events and discussing a person's place in the world.

I've read some of the Quran, and mostly the Old Testament (duh.) I'm a VERY scientific person, sociology, biology, astronomy, whatever, it all fascinates me. It is utterly staggering to think about the universe and all that sometimes, especially reading that everything is supposed to IMPLODE (??) in 20 billion years. The one part I can't get over is what started it all, what caused the big bang, etc. Is there a higher power? Science tells me no, but it's the gaps in the story I'm worried about ;)

C.

Darin
10-29-2002, 04:48 PM

I took the blue pill. Im actually in the REAL world communicating to you through this network called the INTERNET.

One day, you will all wake up.. to the real world... heeeee :cool:

Danny_C
10-29-2002, 08:38 PM
Raph: There may not be a the truth... but I'd rather keep searching than just stop all forward progress and accept that it's all God's will.

Cal: Scientists have never claimed the the universe "will" implode. It's just one possible theory. But a number of discoveries have put that theory in doubt. It's really dependent on the velocity of the current expansion. If the velocity is too high, gravity will never pull everything back together... the expansion will go on for eternity. If the velocity is low enough, though, gravity will eventually manage to take over and pull everything back in, causing an eventual implosion.

I understand that there are holes in science, and we want to fill them, but we always want to fill those holes with theology. Of course science has holes... that doesn't mean we should give it up. It just means we're still working on it. You're not going to figure out the mysteries of creation overnight. It's going to take time. But it would be a mistake to just call it quits and say, "Well, there's no explaining. God must have done it."

Remember, one day we couldn't explain lightning... so that meant it was thrown by angry gods. Now we have a common universal understanding of lightning. One day I hope we'll understand creation in the same way. Of course, Christians will riot in the streets when that day comes.

Danny_C
10-29-2002, 08:41 PM
One thing I have to give this God guy, though... he at least makes for some interesting conversation!

twinkley
10-30-2002, 09:57 AM
Raph, Danny,

Actually, the newest evidence says the universe is exponentially expanding, and that
someday(tm) it will all just... drift apart....

twinkley

StuartD
10-30-2002, 10:08 AM
Raph, Danny,

Actually, the newest evidence says the universe is exponentially expanding, and that
someday(tm) it will all just... drift apart....

twinkley

It's true... the universe is constantly expanding... that should make traffic better. :D

Darin
10-30-2002, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by StuartD

It's true... the universe is constantly expanding... that should make traffic better. :D

Are you refering to highway traffic or website traffic Stuart?

twinkley
10-30-2002, 12:25 PM
Hopefully both!

hehehe

twinkley

Evil Chris
10-31-2002, 02:53 PM
So Darin, what do you make of all this data you've requested?
:D

Darin
10-31-2002, 02:58 PM
So Darin, what do you make of all this data you've requested?

Who cares, I was going for the longest thread. What do I win?

luke
10-31-2002, 03:00 PM
A autographed copy of the Bible. :)

Evil Chris
10-31-2002, 03:02 PM
hahaha... yeah. Either that or I'm sending a copy of the Watchtower over to your place. LOL
In fact, I'll have a couple of nice people bring it over for you...

Darin
11-01-2002, 09:36 AM
hahaha... yeah. Either that or I'm sending a copy of the Watchtower over to your place. LOL
In fact, I'll have a couple of nice people bring it over for you...

HAHAHA.. Actually.. my wife's family is into that watch tower stuff, you know. Knockin on the doors, etc.

Everytime they visit, they always try and sit me down and convince me that I'm gonna goto hell if I don't listen to them.. lol

Actually, there are some good little articles in those booklets :P

Darin
11-01-2002, 09:37 AM
.. or wait, maybe thats playboy I'm thinking of.... with the good articles.. heh

Evil Chris
11-01-2002, 05:13 PM
where's my copy of Hustler Humour? :D

GOD
11-02-2002, 04:48 AM
Question?

WHO CARES ... you're definately coming to Heaven Luna ... :p

That's all that matters ... oh and Funbrunette is coming too !! :cool:

GOD
11-02-2002, 04:50 AM
PLAYBOY has the best articles ... I think I'll let Hef into heaven too ... soon! :eek:

GOD
11-02-2002, 04:52 AM
OK ... I'm ouuta here ... been a long day

This making snow crap is hard work :(

I HATE WINTER !! :rolleyes:

Darin
11-02-2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by GOD
PLAYBOY has the best articles ... I think I'll let Hef into heaven too ... soon! :eek:

GOD, Hef is already in heaven man, you can't do anything to top his life :)

Darin
11-02-2002, 10:42 PM
Look at the poll results... more people don't know WTF yet.. how long does it take you to decide which value meal you are gonna order in the drive through, you people are the ones who make the damn drive through take so damn long.

Get with the program and make a choice. ::-|

cool1
11-03-2002, 09:22 AM
I believe in god
but I am going to hell.

I would rather party in hell than sit on a cloud and play a harp

GOD
11-04-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by cool1
I believe in god
but I am going to hell.

I would rather party in hell than sit on a cloud and play a harp

You watch too much TV my son .... :rolleyes:

Darin
11-05-2002, 10:44 PM
GOD<

I have a confession to make.. I fucked your sister.

Darin
12-30-2002, 03:34 AM
:angel:

ARiA
12-30-2002, 09:50 AM
GOD<

I have a confession to make.. I fucked your sister.

Oh My!!! Darin... if there is a hell (there isn't)
you my friend... will be meeting a few of us there- (not me of course because I'm a GOOD girl :cackle: )
please be sure to bring the marshmallows- I love those things!!
:p

Vid Vicious
12-30-2002, 11:13 AM
Welcome to mr Vicious's neighborhood .. Won't you be my neighbor ...
:skull: :cackle: :skull: :cackle: :skull: :cackle: :skull: :cackle: :skull: :cackle:

firehorse
12-30-2002, 11:25 AM
I believe in the creator. I don't refer to the creator as God!

There are a thousand versions of the creator and all things are interconnected.

It is like flavoured milk, some people may prefer chocoalate milk, strawberry, vanilla etc. No one milk is better, it is simply a different flavour. If you take the flavour away it is still milk.

Religion is like the flavour and can be like sight without vision. It can blind us from what we innately know to be true!:D

Darin
12-30-2002, 11:30 AM
Firehorse are you a Raelien man?

.. and Aria.. I got some marshmellows for ya sweetie!!

firehorse
12-30-2002, 11:41 AM
Firehorse are you a Raelien man?

.. and Aria.. I got some marshmellows for ya sweetie!!

lol no Darin I am a spiritualist!

I have studied Buddhism, ecclesiastics, Aboriginal and Native American belief systems and 100s of other cultures and can see how many are basically saying the same thing in a different way.

Most philosophical or belief systems have one thing in common they could not exist without their version of a God!

I do not belong or ascribe to any religion! I am a free thinking spirtualist.

I do like what the Dala Lama says: "Life is the pursuit of happiness."!:D

Juge
12-30-2002, 12:18 PM
It's not black and white...

I believe there may exist a higher power, but do not believe at all that any God exists in the way any current religion depicts him.

Also, I imagine that there are people who believe there is (not that there just may be) a higher power in the same sense that I just explained.

If you're smart, you must have an open mind to possibilities that may exist. It doesn't matter which side of the discussion you are on, if you can even classify sides for all people.

dyonisus
12-30-2002, 12:50 PM
Cant say I believe in GOD.

There is a spiritual energy I know exists within myself. It is what guides me Helps me along my path, but to build that into a belief that there exists one almighty being is farfetched.

If this is the case, if truly we are governed by ONE almighty, whether that be through Allah, Buddha or Christ, then really what is the reson for our existance, our individuality.

I agree Religion is a tool used for manipulating our choices and thoughts according to the power hungry dictators.

Mister X
12-30-2002, 12:53 PM
I believe in a god. But not necessarily God.

GOD
01-09-2003, 04:35 PM
I'm keeping score still you fuckers!:cool: