PDA

View Full Version : need a little help!! cam feeds?

keith
01-22-2004, 10:34 AM
webcams....

what do i need to run a live video feed webcam from home.

the one im using at the moment is so slow because it has to ftp the files to the server on the net.......would i need my own server and special software or can i do it with my existing pc....

im totally lost in space here...so any advice,recomendation,help,guidance would be appreciated..

even just a nudge in the right direction would be a great help

Keith

wsjb78
01-22-2004, 11:13 AM
Hmmm, I'm no expert either but I guess you would need to have a webserver (apache) installed on your computer and then have some JavaPlugin that sends the data through your apache server.

A remote user then connects to your httpd server and hence can view the stream...

keith
01-22-2004, 11:22 AM
i thought of that......i already have apache installed on my machine...

i set the cam software up to save the image to the correct directory
but once the browser loads the first image it stays as that image because its in the browser cache so everytime the page refreshes it just reloads the first image, even though the image on the server has changed:(

im lost..

do i need to make the browser refresh the image?

gunner
01-22-2004, 02:53 PM
what exactly are you trying to do? there are plenty of stand alone cam software options out there, depending on your price range.

wsjb78
01-22-2004, 06:07 PM
A friend of mine got with his software a java plugin which then automatically refreshs the pic as he wants to... from 1 sek to 5 min.... so there's now cache interfering...

keith
01-23-2004, 05:57 AM
thanks i for the help guys i think i have sorted it now...turns out that my webcam software (webcam32) comes with its own server that was trying to use the same port as my apache server...

all i had to do was (like you said) use a java console and change the image url to the webcam software

thanks again

:D Keith

Kenny B
01-23-2004, 05:23 PM
Are you trying to broadcast to a members section? What is your website I may have a solution for you.

keith
01-24-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Kenny B
Are you trying to broadcast to a members section? What is your website I may have a solution for you.

ive pm`ed you;)