PDA

View Full Version : Techie question: Corrupted CF card

Vid Vicious
02-17-2004, 12:28 AM
How do you retrieve corrupted files on a Compact flash card ?

StuartD
02-17-2004, 07:57 PM
Hmm.... that's a good question. I don't think I've ever heard of it being done, personally.

Once the data is messed up that makes up the image... well, that's it. It's gone, I think.

Hopefully I'm wrong and there truly is a way to recover it, but I've never heard of any.

Mister X
02-18-2004, 01:44 AM
Try http://www.iolo.com/sr/

There's a free demo thingy on the left side of the page that you can use to check whether it can get your pics from the card. There's also a 30 trial version but probably it doesn't let you actually recover the files, only shows them. Most all of the file recovery software costs 40 bucks US or thereabouts to buy. Worth it if you have some important stuff on the card.

Vid Vicious
02-18-2004, 10:45 AM
I've tryed a couple of programs to date .. so far I haven't found a winner

Mister X
02-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Well most likely it's gone for good then. The programs mostly use exactly the same process to recover files so if 2 don't get it there is less chance that another will. I hope there was nothing really important on the card. If it was me I don't think I would even try reformatting the card to use it again. Too risky maybe. I guess it goes to show that nothing is perfect. Rolls of film can get effed up and flash cards can too. Although I think probably the flash cards might be a bit less likely to have a problem.

Feynman
02-19-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Vid Vicious
How do you retrieve corrupted files on a Compact flash card ?

Some card manufacturers have rescue applications for their cards.

Check the support section of your card manufacturer