PDA

View Full Version : which hdd would you reccommend for a home pc?

gabrio
03-04-2004, 03:36 AM
hello guys

i have (yet again) to replace my hard disks... it looks like again after 7-8 months they're making strange noises and one of them (i got 2) was running dizzy today

i have a pc running win 2k server, which is connected 24/24 and always 'doing' something ;-)

so my question is:

what brand do u reccomend? i have tried IBM, maxtor, western digital, and after few months always the same... strange noises and they fuck up.

so this time i wanna change them before its too late and i loose all datas.

should i move to SCSI? i was considering that aswell. thanks!

Mister X
03-04-2004, 03:32 PM
I have had very good luck with western digital. I also have an 80 gig seagate that has held up very well. You might want to consider using 5400 rpm drives instead of 7200 if the absolute fastest access times aren't an issue for you. The 7200 rpm drives seem to pay a price for that extra speed in my experience, although the manufacturers will probably disagree. But basically I think it all comes down to the luck of the draw.

gabrio
03-04-2004, 03:36 PM
thanks for the feedback bro, i honestly think that in the last years manufacturers are using cheap parts in order to keep prices very low.. ive used to have some IBM hdds ages ago and they were more reliable.

i think ill try the seagate next time.

Cold_ice
03-04-2004, 08:56 PM
I have two 80 gig maxtors and haven't had any problems yet.:cool: