PDA

View Full Version : Free DRM Service

djscrib
03-19-2004, 02:53 AM
Hi, I recently completed the Alpha version of a service I'm calling VidLock. http://www.vidlock.com

VidLock is a DRM service allowing websites to easily protect their content.

What is DRM? In this case it's Microsoft's Digital Rights Management system which is already built into almost every Windows computer. It's used by companies like Napster, MovieLink, and MusicMatch to protect audio and video.

How does DRM help me?

1) Prevent piracy of your content. If someone copies your files and gives them to someone else, the file won't play on the other computer unless they go online and purchase it.

2) New business models, Drm can allow you to do things like make all your videos only play once after downloading, or for 3 days. A good business use is to make your videos quit working after 3 days (that way people signing up for a 3 day trial can't keep watching your videos if they cancel).

What's new about this service? Well DRM has always been a pain in the ass to set up. This system allows you to manage everything through a web page, and allows you to download a simple application to DRM protect your content. You can have files integrated literally in under 5 minutes.

So please check it out, it's an Alpha at this point so 1) it may have bugs, and 2) more features are being added. Lastly it's currently free so there's not much risk.
Thanks for you time

DJScrib

monaro
03-20-2004, 08:20 AM
Sounds very interesting.