PDA

View Full Version : Talk about SPAM!!!!

Funbrunette
11-03-2002, 02:54 PM
I see so many people cry out SPAM after someone makes an announcement about a new program or talks about a new website they’re working on…I don’t get it!! What else are the boards for? I think people need to educate themselves on what spam really is. Were obviously all trying to do business and the boards are absolutely great for that! I’d be curious to know how much business those people that cry out SPAM actually make on the boards! It’s something that has always irritated me…I know there’s a specific forum for announcement, but there’s a HUGE difference between spamming and networking!

What are your thoughts?

:)

*And I'm not talking about someone with 1 post starting out with SPAM!

baddog
11-03-2002, 04:04 PM
I think that an occasional announcement by a contributing member of a board is okay, but drive-by's and those that "announce" more than they contribute is unacceptable.

There are legit ways to spam, all you need to do is search the board for threads discussing something that your new product would apply to.

For example, if I was going to advertise a special for advertisers at ContentLotto, I would not just make an announcement that we had a special going on at CL. I would do a search for "webmaster traffic" and find a thread where someone was asking where the best place to advertise their product to webmasters. Then I would bump that thread with my response that CL might be what they were looking for.

Some people may not approve of this resurrecting of old threads, but it is entirely possible that the person asking is still seeking an answer.

Just my $.02

luke
11-03-2002, 06:43 PM
I learned the same thing when we first launched SitePass. I agree with Baddog, as long as its someone that contributes to the board, I don't see a problem with it. But when its their first and only post, it should be in the spam or announcment section.

Darin
11-03-2002, 06:47 PM
Everyone come make a tgp using my generator :)

http://tgp.premiumbabes.com

heeeeeee I couldnt resist sorry. :D

m@rk
11-03-2002, 09:07 PM
Thing is FB this is still a new board, wait until it's been around a while and you get alot of spammers coming here, like they get on alot of the other boards, AWI, GFY and so on, then you will wish you never allowed it in the first place ...

Magnus3x
11-04-2002, 04:31 PM
When we are at webmaster parties or networking gatherings.. I don't run up to people and say " Hi, if your looking for the best xxx web development company with cheap affordable rates with pleanty of extra's then let me tell you about ....." If you have a website then you need to be selling my sex toys.. what a wonderful way to add value to your website and increase revenue."

NO I don't and won't do that.. we talk on a professional and personal level, then when it gets to asking what you do and who do you work for..and do you have a card..then we get down to business. I'm usually the first to ask what another does. While we are meeting for the first time.. I am looking for personality.. integrity.. if they start slamming or pissing other webbies in the room I say nice to meet you and move on.

I see these boards as a "Virtual" networking base, I read and understand a board before I post and I watch how others post to get a feel for the board. If I see long time board members making announcments and it seems ok then I will do the same. I come to the boards to be a part of the community and learn and network and take a break from my day. If I want to read the announcment or "spam" boards I will.

Magick
11-04-2002, 10:08 PM
Tons of good posts in this thread!

Cal
11-05-2002, 12:17 AM
Though the 'announcement' boards are created just for that purpose, everyone with half a brain knows that you'll get the most eyeballs 'spamming' the main board. I think it's obnoxious if your FIRST post is a spam, because it shows you don't have any respect for the community, and you're just trying to make a buck at the expense of others who try to do real business on there.

However people jumping all over it in a GFY-like atmosphere is pretty useless. Good board admins will simply move the post to the 'announcements' area if they feel it was too spammy, or from a non-regular who has no interest in improving the community.

C.

Danny_C
11-05-2002, 12:17 AM
Magnus3x summed it up. But I think FB's point wasn't about drive-by spammers... and I agree. People have a tendency to label posts spam when it's undeserved. If someone makes a post asking, "What's a good free host for my thumbnail galleries?" and one of the replies (by a regular contributor) is "I can hook you up. Message me on ICQ or go to my url at ... " ... well, that's hardly spam.

And when a regular contributor makes an announcement that their affiliate program has raised payouts, that's probably useful and relevant information.

But in either case, I believe the right to make announcements should be earned. We have a couple of people on our board who really irritate us. One guy comes and searches for every topic relevent to his service (skipping some great conversations), and replies only with, "Well, try my service." Another guy is someone who I've done a bit of business with and thought had good sense, yet he comes to our board and only makes announcements (and he actually runs a popular board of his own, which makes things even worse, since he should know better... sorry, won't name him). They're legitimate announcements, but eventually we started deleting them, after asking him three times to contribute to some other threads.

Just use some sense.

Funbrunette
11-05-2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Danny_C
Magnus3x summed it up. But I think FB's point wasn't about drive-by spammers... and I agree. People have a tendency to label posts spam when it's undeserved. If someone makes a post asking, "What's a good free host for my thumbnail galleries?" and one of the replies (by a regular contributor) is "I can hook you up. Message me on ICQ or go to my url at ... " ... well, that's hardly spam.

And when a regular contributor makes an announcement that their affiliate program has raised payouts, that's probably useful and relevant information.

But in either case, I believe the right to make announcements should be earned. We have a couple of people on our board who really irritate us. One guy comes and searches for every topic relevent to his service (skipping some great conversations), and replies only with, "Well, try my service." Another guy is someone who I've done a bit of business with and thought had good sense, yet he comes to our board and only makes announcements (and he actually runs a popular board of his own, which makes things even worse, since he should know better... sorry, won't name him). They're legitimate announcements, but eventually we started deleting them, after asking him three times to contribute to some other threads.

Just use some sense.

:xthumbs:

poppy
11-07-2002, 12:09 PM
Really good thread people.