PDA

View Full Version : Notebook backup suggestions?

Evil Chris
04-06-2004, 03:21 PM
I'd like to find out what is the recommended way to backup all the data on my laptop / notebook.

Presently I have it networked with Funbrunette's PC, and I do a backup every so often directly to her hard-drive. So far it works all right.

Suggestions?

Gruntled
04-06-2004, 03:26 PM
EC,

That's what I do with mine. Between a sync copy to the network, and a schedule of CD burns, I have redundancies and all my data is available on whichever machine I happen to be using.

Are you looking for something more automated?

wsjb78
04-06-2004, 03:40 PM
If you have enough free space on your hd on your notebook make a second partition then use a tool like PowerQuest's Drive Image... that way you can make a complete image of your other partition and then save that one another computer... it will als be quicker to accomplish and if you have problems with your HD you just restore that image :)

Gruntled
04-06-2004, 03:46 PM
...until the drive goes bad. It's always a good idea to have a couple of redundancies.

monaro
04-06-2004, 03:54 PM
The prices are very cheap and you get what you need..

http://www.bixnet.com/ezdattrankit.html

McAttack
04-06-2004, 03:55 PM
You can get external USB 2.0 drives or Firewire if you have any of those two ports on your laptop. Ship your data to that.

sweet7
04-06-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by McAttack
You can get external USB 2.0 drives or Firewire if you have any of those two ports on your laptop. Ship your data to that.

that's what I've got. It's an enclosure that can be used with CD/DVD Rom drives and hardisks. It's very practical.

Visualad
04-07-2004, 05:18 AM
EXTERNAL HARDDRIVES! :)

sweet7
04-07-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Visualad
EXTERNAL HARDDRIVES! :)
that's why external enclosures are good because you can either put a HD or a ROM drive. Then you've got yourself a portable DVD burner :D

I haven't seen any with a hot swap feature though.

Mister X
04-07-2004, 11:28 PM
We recently puzzled over this very issue with the computer that has most of the originals of our content. Tape drives capable of backing up today's drives cost $2000 CDN and up. And they won't fit in a notebook. We settled on a raid setup with that drive being mirrored to a second drive. CDs are much too inefficient and really too slow. Since I never heard of raid for a notebook I guess an external harddrive or backing up to FB's computer is really the best you can do.

sweet7
04-08-2004, 12:08 PM
External raid setups are available depending on how far you want to go with your backups. You can have a raid server where all your info is backed up on a periodic basis. It is, as you mentioned, expensive.