PDA

View Full Version : .name (dot name) domains

Evil Chris
04-11-2004, 12:23 PM
Does anyone have the scoop on dot name domains and their value?

I have several very good domains that I bought when the .name domains were first released. I'm just not sure how much the SEs like them. Anyone know of any documentation on this? I would appreciate it!

monaro
04-11-2004, 01:28 PM
Technology will remove the need for what will come after the dot,
Miller said. Indeed, such technology already exists but has not been widely adopted...

full reading here, http://news.com.com/2100-1023-247068.html?legacy=cnet

... to save you the time in reading it all, I pulled out the best paragraph..

Substance over style
Regardless of who is right, most seem to agree that the value of an easy-to-remember domain name is secondary to the quality of the management and business plan.

Your onto something good Chris, stick to it, your .name domains will be traffic pullers if you use them correctly.

Evil Chris
04-12-2004, 11:05 AM
Interesting article. Boils down to what you can do with the domain you have. But I'm still uncertain what kind of impact .name domains have on search engines.

Mister X
04-12-2004, 12:09 PM
Very good question. Which I don't have the answer to. I don't believe I have ever been to a .name website. That doesn't mean that the SE's don't like them, just that they aren't popular. I see .net and .org sites ranked up with .com sites. and .co.uk and .ru , etc. seem to be ranked well. I have seen the occasional .info site ranked. I guess the best way to find out is to actually get the domains on line and try to get them ranked.

monaro
04-12-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Evil Chris
Interesting article. Boils down to what you can do with the domain you have. But I'm still uncertain what kind of impact .name domains have on search engines.

"Technology will remove the need for what will come after the dot,"

Mister X
04-13-2004, 01:20 AM
In most cases the way it works is: if you type in without the .com or whatever it goes through .com, .net, .org etc. So saying that you don't need what's after the dot is very simplistic. And actually wrong.

Unless people want to go to using an ever growing string of numbers instead of a name, what comes after the dot is absolutely necessary. And nobody wants to start a website with a name like johnswebsite12367534356 just because the good names are already gone either. So that sort of rules out using names but no .whatever after it.