PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Web Tricks

Gruntled
05-17-2004, 07:14 AM
What is your number one pet peeve when it comes to site design?

There are plenty of web tricks that make your surfers leave, but which annoy you most?

It used to be endless popups for me, but now I mainly use browsers that block almost all of them.

I'd say currently that flash banners that talk or play music incessantly does it.

blazi
05-17-2004, 09:04 AM
if the site doesn't look appealing, I'm turned off immediately. many people just whip up sites in minutes and they look like crap, that doesn't entice me at all to stay.

sweet7
05-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by blazi
if the site doesn't look appealing, I'm turned off immediately. many people just whip up sites in minutes and they look like crap, that doesn't entice me at all to stay.

as a webmaster that may be true but some surfers are attracted to what would be considered horrendous to us.

I don't know what I hate besides popups. I'll have to think about this one.

nanda
05-17-2004, 10:42 AM
Definitely the pop ups and flash...too damn annoying...:rolleyes:

Magnus3x
05-17-2004, 10:47 AM
Text in Flash.. boooooooooooooring..and that was great 6 or so years ago and any ape can do it. Flash is very robust and should be used properly. Oh and not having the option to skip intro's is foolish.

Panky
05-17-2004, 11:15 AM
When the colors on the site majorly clash

When the navigation is not well thought out

When the site plays intro music irrelevent to the site

No option to skip Flash intro or view site as html

When the site is unorganized, cluttered, and contains spelling errors

zoe_zoebaboe
05-17-2004, 11:30 AM
When you cant find the links.

Mefo
05-18-2004, 10:45 AM
music on sites, goddam that's annoying.

and popups

auto install crap

bad navigation

bad colur scheme

McAttack
05-18-2004, 11:18 AM
Good points so far. I agree.
Pop-up hell
overused flash (done because they could, not because it makes sense)
music that's incredibly repetitive and can' tbe shut off
noisy banners (talking banners, chimes, whatever)
autoloading toolbars or whatever. hate that crap
A "cool" site that's such a disaster only the original maker of it can navigate it.

Gruntled
05-19-2004, 10:14 AM
The autoinstall crap *has* to go. Installing binary applications on people's systems transparently on a drive-by basis is just inherently wrong. I can see serious property rights violations and legal issues with that.

The embedded looped music is very irritating. There's usually no stopping it, and most people are listening to music when they surf anyway.

What about the endless block of search engine bait at the bottom of the page?

kaustic
05-20-2004, 01:24 AM
I will have to agree with all of the above... the auto install bullsh1ts the worst... followed by popups.... and I would say missleading links... that take you to some free site garbage that then has auto installers from popups that pierce their fangs directly onto your hard drive cpu and poor innocent RAM! They suck you dry! Seriously, the internet needs its own condom.

But cheers to popup blocking browsers that protect against auto install garbage as well!

Thats about all I can add.... im out ppeace

ocho-ocho
05-20-2004, 02:09 AM
same here...pop ups!

Black Dog
05-21-2004, 06:46 PM
Sites I hate:

1. Sites that use audio, especially if it cannot be turned off
2. Sites that force you to view a stupid Flash intro before you enter
3. GFY :)

B

Gruntled
05-22-2004, 05:56 AM
What was the turning point for you, BlackDog?

Did you seek XNations out of a distaste for GFY or did you happen upon XNations first?