PDA

View Full Version : New Microsoft version

tina
05-21-2004, 09:45 AM
hi there, has anyone used the new Microsoft update?? how does it go for you?? im having some problems on my computer...

:bonk:

Black Dog
05-21-2004, 06:43 PM
I use it with (almost) no problem.

B

Gruntled
05-22-2004, 05:59 AM
Tina,

Is it a windows update? a particular patch giving you trouble? are you getting an error message at all?

kaustic
05-22-2004, 10:32 PM
For any Microsoft product to function and stay secure you need to be up to date (or up to the millisecond).... Though sometimes I've run into a problem where the update is the cause of a new problem. And also, the updates usually come out several weeks after a vulnerability or worm/virus has been discovered..... leave it to MS to ask for the most $ and still suck at what they do.

Gruntled
05-23-2004, 12:04 AM
They always do that. nobody can convince them to do otherwise because they're so big, and have "always done it that way."

Such is life.

Rochard
05-26-2004, 11:00 AM
Bash Mother Microsoft all you want. This business exists because of Mother Microsoft.

It's a no win situation for Microsoft. If they don't totally test a new update and make sure it won't screw up hundreds of millions of computers they'll get blasted. If they spend time testing it they get blasted because it took them so long.

I'm running Windows XP. I built this computer by hand two years ago, and it's never had problems. It's never locked up and I've never had to reboot. I also run the 15 networked computers at the Lightspeed office, and with the exception of one virus that sneaked in I hadn't had any problems.

kaustic
05-26-2004, 04:56 PM
Rochard

Microsoft charges an absurd amount of $ for a product they claim to be secure due to the security of their code.... Even before the code was leaked on the internet no Microsoft product is ever secure.... and yes... when you deal with LANs you usually dont have many problems, because the computers must go through a gateway to access the internet and thus worms dont usually make it through unless you got NAT messed up or misconfigured. Firewalls are the worlds best friend.

I'm a *Nix/BSD junky... Ive never ever had to reboot any of my FreeBSD machines, yet my Windows 2000 Server has to be restarted practically every other month due to these updates and security flaws. If Microsoft wanted to, they could create an entireley secure system, but then the service sector of the economy would take a dive due to the lack of jobs for us service techs and it consultants out there....

The real issue, is whether or not people would like to be trained in something they are not familiar with... but if everyone ran a network on opensource systems, there would be no problems. Not to mention it will keep your overhead drastically low, since most opensource software is free

Those are my 2 cents.... I dont wanna start an opensource/microshaft flame thread... but I value your opinion.

Oh... and I built this WinXP machine here at home for the family, and after Service pack I I disabled autoupdate, and keep it behind my router, and I never have any problems either.... Of course I dont use internet explorer, because everyone and their mother programs spyware to self install on internet explorer......

Mozilla BABY!!