PDA

View Full Version : Google Adwords Selcet - Any experiences?

gunner
11-13-2002, 01:52 PM
For anyone that has used or is using the Ad Words Select program, what are your thoughts? Would you continue using the program? the results?
What is a good CTR (.5%, 4%)?
How important are keyword/title/description relevancies?
Is average position important?
How would you say the CPC model compares to other advert. options?

If you haven't used it or want to know more....

Google has a program called Google Ad Words Select which is based on CPC (cost per click) pricing. It allows for advertisers to control their daily spending, bid maximum amounts on specific keywords, and to pay only for clicks and not impressions. For more info. check out google ads:

https://adwords.google.com/select/?hl=en

Magnus3x
11-13-2002, 02:41 PM
I don't know if you asked this at another board or not.. but I replied to the same question.

I used it for my toy store.. so results won't be the same, but it did'nt do squat for me. I get way more SE traffic and sales from obscure searches to my store than I did having top ad spot for "Sex Toys" "vibrators"etc...

Surfers will click the search related links before they click the adwords links.

It's not that expensive and you can cancel any time..give it a shot for a couple of days and see but I wont use em again.

spudnik
11-13-2002, 03:52 PM
We've had excellent results from AdWords over the last several months. We don't see as much traffic as we do from, say, Overture, but AdWords traffic converts better.

Having said that, I have a few specific comments:
1. Positioning isn't based solely on the amount bid - rather it's a combination of bid and link popularity. This can be a tough adjustment for people used to the Overture model.

2. Google syndicates their AdWords ads, but doesn't break down for advertisers where the traffic comes from. Maybe this won't ever be an issue for you; it is for me.

I haven't seen much variation in performance based on an ad's positioning. The #1 spot doesn't necessarily yield better results than the #3 spot, at least not proportionate to the increased cost.

As far as relevancy goes, I've tried highly-relevant and highly-general (i.e. not at all keyword targeted) creative with very mixed results on both. There's a comfort zone in between the two that I try to stick to.

As with any PPC campaign, I'd advise you to pay close attention to the stats. As much as possible, know the value of each of your keywords and what you can afford to pay per click. Good luck!

gunner
11-13-2002, 05:20 PM
THANKS Spudnik!

and just so everyone knows

get $55 per join at Cashpartner! (http://www.cashpartner.com)

Danny_C
11-13-2002, 06:53 PM
We've used AdWords Select, and it was ok... nothing spectacular. I know we were usually charged about 5 times what it estimated, though.

gunner
11-14-2002, 08:04 PM
not doing so hot so far, getting around a .06 - .09 CTR. :rolleyes:
may do some tweaking and see what happens

redshift
11-15-2002, 02:41 AM
I use adwords alot and do pretty well with it.

but it would be nice if someone would grip at someone about the refer stats

hint hint

spudnik
11-15-2002, 02:34 PM
Redshift, do you have additional gripes about the refer stats (more than I mentioned in my earlier post)?

Believe me, I've mentioned the lack of comprehensive reporting to my contacts, but I'd be happy to pass more complaints along to them. :)