PDA

View Full Version : Message boards and biz!!!

firehorse
11-14-2002, 05:15 AM
How much business have you ever gained from your time posting at boards?

From the boards we have sold soooo much content, worked on basic designs for people such as avs, tgp's, buttons and banners.

Also we have forged partnerships, gained consulting work, and are being well paid for providing girls for water sports shoots.

Would love to hear your experiences!:)

Evil Chris
11-14-2002, 09:35 AM
Message boards have been enjoyable to me for many years and for many reasons. It's the first place I meet a lot of people before I meet them in person, for example.
Obviously it's a great place to pass on information to other like-minded webmasters, but I also think it's a good place to hang out for a bit, network and socialize too. I get a lot of good ideas from doing what I am doing at this exact moment. :D

twinkley
11-14-2002, 10:11 AM
FireHorse,

This is a great question, and one we have actually tested.

I typically hated posting on most boards when i started in the biz because of the high cheeze factor. There used to be a whole lotta "hey, have some tea and biscuits" crap going on along with a LOT of pissing.

Oz was convinced though, that we got a decent amount of traffic from posting on the boards - even if it was cheeze.

So, we stopped for a week. No one posted for a full week on any board from our co.

BOY WAS HE RIGHT!! Our traffic dipped by the hundreds. I couldn't believe it! I never ever click on people's signature lines..... and everyone I talked to said the same and yet... the proof was right in front of my eyes.

After checking stats on the site, we found that there wasnt a significant amount of people coming directly from other messageboards to us, but that obviously just seeing us out there, webmasters visited.

I post all over a ton of boards now - I have learned that it is worth the time and effort to weed them out and post on the cheeze-free ones

twinkley

StuartD
11-14-2002, 01:15 PM
I've gotten a few people icq me or message me outta the blue about leasing our content.
It's been kinda nice!
Certainly doesn't happen as often as I'd like, but it has happened.

For me, I don't really look at it as the amount of $$ I make out of it anyway.
I just hope to get my name out there... honestly.
I just want to meet as many people as I can, since I'm still semi new in the whole industry.
The more people I actually get to know, and meet at the conventions afterwards....
that'll lead to the $$... I have no doubt. :D

hershie
11-14-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by twinkley

I post all over a ton of boards now - I have learned that it is worth the time and effort to weed them out and post on the cheeze-free ones

twinkley

i would think the cheesier the more webmasters visiting and thus the more traffic and biz you can generate?

PattyeCake
11-14-2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by hershie

i would think the cheesier the more webmasters visiting and thus the more traffic and biz you can generate?

Cheesier is Not always better...

That being said however.... it depends on the board and the people...
Board posting has always been very Important... It is a proven fact that people do business with people they know.. even if they know them only thru exchanges on the boards.

and I agree with Evil on this one.. I remember the first post he ever made at Netpond.. many many moons ago.... lol :D

twinkley
11-14-2002, 04:04 PM
Hershey,

I have nothing against a modest amount of "cheeze" on a board - I have been known to spread some my own goofy self.

However, there is only so much nonsensical crap you can put up with before deciding if it is worth your time, effort, and mental anguish to keep submitting yourself to the pissing, the cheeze and the over all nothingness that really abounds on some boards...

twinkley

Darin
11-14-2002, 04:36 PM
California, its the cheese.

MarkTiarra
11-14-2002, 04:40 PM
I'd say 40-50% of our business happens because people hear about LUMYR on the board and check it out. Especially when a discussion about design specifics comes up and people see demonstrated the amount of knowledge that goes into the work we do. Yadda yadda... =]

Funbrunette
11-14-2002, 05:21 PM
I've always liked the ideas of boards...I've done business, made great friends and I also see it as a way to "relax" for about 30 min during the day! :)

It's a good way to get to know other webmasters and hear about new programs & sites that are coming out!

JFK
11-14-2002, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by PattyeCake
Cheesier is Not always better...

It is a proven fact that people do business with people they know.. even if they know them only thru exchanges on the boards.

You are absolutely correct, and when you go to the conventions, the personal introduction is the icing on the Cake ! Isnt it Patty ??:D