PDA

View Full Version : Any Suggestions on doing a LARGE Site upload?

rahulp
07-29-2004, 12:39 AM
I have my site already to go live. Only thing is how do i get it up to my hosted server? It's about 45GB's total. FTP'ing it will take weeks via cable modem. I also contacted my hosting company to ask if i could send them a hardrive or perhaps a bunch of DVD's but they they said they would not do this kind of thing (something about security policies). So.... anyone have any ohter suggestions? I am totally frustrated and annoyed at myslef for not thinking about how i would get my site uploaded!!! :(

Visualad
07-29-2004, 05:16 AM
there are some zip/rar methods you can use, where you compress your files into one or more bigger files and then extract them on the server.

You still have to upload, but the upload amount should be less.

Ask your server techs about this option.

monaro
07-29-2004, 05:17 AM
G'day if you cant send them a CD of the content, then its only via ftp. Do you know anyone you can send the content to, eg, gzip it to shrink the file size and once its on a mates server you can ssh in to your root and then using telnet open up a ftp to your mates server then pull the large file across networks.

Once it is across you just unzip it....

Panky
07-29-2004, 09:36 AM
Welcum to XNations!

Like the others said, zip it and upload. Then extract on the server. Other than that, divide it into parts and upload each part individually.

rahulp
07-29-2004, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the suggestions and the warm welcome! Unfortunately the 45GB I refered to is already RAR'ed!!

Oh well. If anyone else has any ideas.....

I am sort of surpirsed other folks do not run into this problem or do they simply use hosts that are not so draconian in nature?

Maybe there is a 3rd party service that someone knows of that i can send the data to via and Hard Drive or DVD's and have them FTP it?

Feynman
07-29-2004, 11:33 AM
I can upload at 80kb/s on my cable-modem.

I computed that at that speed, it would take about 6-7 days to upload.

If you upload, either make sure you have an FTP protocol manager that can pick up and continue interrupted uploads OR send in smaller chunks.

I use FlashFXP and it's fantastic

Maybe you could transfer your stuff via HD direct connection unto a friendly fast-connection machine and then do an FXP machine-to-machine transfer to your server. Make sure they have the FXP protocol (machine to machine) enabled.

Mister X
07-29-2004, 02:54 PM
Your best bet is as others have suggested. If you have a friend with a server more or less local to you the best thing is to get your content loaded onto his server and then directly transfer between the 2 servers. FXP can be a problem because it is using a program on your home machine to transfer files between t other machines. A lot of servers do not support that great protocol. In that case you would need access to ftp on the sending server. Your transfer time would be a tiny fraction what it would take when using your cable connection.

Another thing to consider is this: if your new server has an 80 GB drive ( and that is pretty much the standard ) you would be completely unable to unrar your 45 GB file on that end. You need double the size of the rar file plus extra for temporary files plus the extra space for the difference in file sizes between the compressed and uncompressed files. Also if you upload a rar/zip/tar make sure that you have a suitable decompressor or you have the access to install one on your new server. A 45 gb file that you are unable to decompress on the other end is pretty useless, hehe.

Personally I would consider getting a new host that is either physically close to you or that has better customer service. Especially if you haven't paid them or signed a contract yet.

monaro
07-29-2004, 06:12 PM
G'day Feynman, I have never used FlashFXP.. might check it out latter night. Thanks for the pointer!

facialfreak
08-01-2004, 01:41 AM
Maybe I am too practical, but if it is your own server, (and I am betting for a site of that size it is ...), why not buy a say 80GB IDE hard drive ... load the stuff onto it, and FEDEX it to your host.

Quick, painless, and not overly expensive. If it is your site and your server, it is worth the investment.

Just my 2¢ :cool:

rahulp
08-01-2004, 03:13 PM
Well, I ended up finding a buddy who has some solid upstream bandwidth. So i broke my files up into 10GB sections, RAR'ed it (and encrypted them, jut in case someone snoops!!) and he will upload on a nightly basis. It should only take 5 nights and by breaking it up into 10GB sections I will have space to unrar on my server.

Thanks for the suggestions!!