PDA

View Full Version : Whats better then WS-FTP?

thruma
08-30-2004, 05:34 PM
Does anyone know of a better program than this one?

I've had it with this one.

The older version I have that was free way back when is better than the one they're selling now.

Panky
08-30-2004, 05:58 PM
Flash FXP (http://www.flashfxp.com/)

It's easy to use, has a lot of great features, and is stable .

thruma
08-30-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Panky
Flash FXP (http://www.flashfxp.com/)

It's easy to use, has a lot of great features, and is stable .

Looks good. I'm there now.
Thanks Panky

Evil Chris
08-30-2004, 10:20 PM
I've always used CuteFTP. I paid for my version.

dyonisus
08-30-2004, 11:02 PM
Yeah I use cute or SSH

thruma
08-31-2004, 12:41 AM
I tried cute many years ago when it was version 1 and didn't like but it's probably a lot better now.

I'll look into that one too.

thruma
08-31-2004, 12:42 AM
I have to say though WS-FTP is really nice when it works.

It doesn't seem to work so well when it encounters an error.

Evil Chris
08-31-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by thruma
I have to say though WS-FTP is really nice when it works.

It doesn't seem to work so well when it encounters an error. I found WS to be like that as well. I used to use it for free a long time ago, but moved to Cute and have been happy with it ever since.

thruma
08-31-2004, 09:46 PM
I used ws again today without any problems but there were no errors to cause it to act up though.

I'm going to give both cute FXP a try and see which one I like best.

Thanks guys

scottb
08-31-2004, 11:52 PM
I use Coffee Cup Direct FTP. It is the best FTP client I have ever used. It is stable and easy to edit or even write web pages on the server.

It is $34 if I remember correctly. You are guaranteed lifetime upgrades. And no I do not work for Coffee Cup.

http://www.coffeecup.com/

monaro
09-01-2004, 05:52 AM
Gday Everyone =)

For myself I have tested bulletproof and seem to be sticking with it, never had a problem with it. so I am happy. I like the drag and drop.. its also as easy as 1 2 3..

FTP out..

sweet7
09-01-2004, 09:20 AM
WS FTP is my favorite but I also use CUTE FTP quite regularly.

Reason: WS FTP doesn't have the cascading delete feature that CUTE FTP does.

GoodChris
09-02-2004, 07:21 PM
Cute FTP is my tool of choice, however when working with a group of developers I like the check in/check out feature that come incorporated with Dreamweavers FTP program.

monaro
09-02-2004, 08:22 PM
Sweet, Cute ftp flickers the screen doesnt it, if you have it uploading in the background or is that coffeecup?

thruma
09-02-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by monaro
Sweet, Cute ftp flickers the screen doesnt it, if you have it uploading in the background or is that coffeecup?

Thats the old version of WS-FTP.

It keeps stealing the top window if you have many small files uploading.

You have to go into options and turn off something in there but it keeps resetting itself with each new session. Annoying.

jscott
09-03-2004, 01:53 AM
damn i never knew anybody else used WS-FTP, i have the old version and have never had any problem with it ever ;)

monaro
09-03-2004, 03:29 AM
Thats the old version of WS-FTP.

It keeps stealing the top window if you have many small files uploading.

You have to go into options and turn off something in there but it keeps resetting itself with each new session. Annoying.

I think I remembered that. It's been a long time since I had used it.

While we are still on the ftp subject and the programs. Has anyone ever used the windows ftp ie start / run / command / ftp ? where you had to type the full put and get locations? Remind me of win 95 =( like using shh / telnet

thruma
09-03-2004, 04:10 AM
I think I remembered that. It's been a long time since I had used it.

While we are still on the ftp subject and the programs. Has anyone ever used the windows ftp ie start / run / command / ftp ? where you had to type the full put and get locations? Remind me of win 95 =( like using shh / telnet

I did that years ago on unix or linux machines before windows became really prevalent.

monaro
09-03-2004, 04:56 AM
I did that years ago on unix or linux machines before windows became really prevalent.

yep the good old days ie;
cp -a /home/monaro/new_design/* /home/monaro/public_html/ : copies all files =)

thruma
09-03-2004, 05:22 AM
yeah those days were pretty fun.
And when you had a fast CPU it actually did run lightning fast without all the windows stuff :)

Gruntled
09-03-2004, 01:51 PM
I still use FTP from the command line a good bit. From home, I still use CuteFTP. I've tried the other clients, but always come back to cuteFTP. been using it since '94 or so. I like the integrated IDE, CMS, and FTP like in Dreamweaver, too. especially when you are working in a group, or have a lot of revisions.

sweet7
09-03-2004, 02:40 PM
yep the good old days ie;
cp -a /home/monaro/new_design/* /home/monaro/public_html/ : copies all files =)

like a breath of fresh air :)

thruma
09-03-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by jscott
damn i never knew anybody else used WS-FTP, i have the old version and have never had any problem with it ever ;)

I never used to either until I had to start FTPing more than 100 html files a time.

It handles 20 or 30 fine but anything more and add some graphics to it and it seems to act up at times.

thruma
09-03-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by GoodChris
Cute FTP is my tool of choice, however when working with a group of developers I like the check in/check out feature that come incorporated with Dreamweavers FTP program.

Yeah I've used the FTP feature of dreamweaver too but usually only for 3 or 4 files at a time or just to upload to my testing server here at home before taking it live to the net.

For more than 100 files I like to have something like WS that shows the progress of each and every file.

thruma
09-03-2004, 07:56 PM
I tried the Flash FXP that Panky suggestted and it's not bad. I'll need to use it more before I can say if I like it or not.

I'll be trying Cute-FTP tonight to see how that one measures up. :)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone

Morphius
09-04-2004, 03:02 PM
I use CuteFtp for years. Never had any problems

thruma
09-04-2004, 09:40 PM
Well after using both I have to say I still like WS in the way in shows each file transfered.

The others do it to but I prefer the way WS does it.

It's just to bad that it can't handle errors very well.

ivil_klown
09-07-2004, 10:24 AM
yey! WS-FTP! did use it for some time and it holds to my expectations,

scottb
02-12-2007, 08:06 AM
I use the paid versions of Cute FTP or Coffee Cup Direct FTP.

I like the fact you edit right on the server or create pages from the FTP clients.

untouchable
02-12-2007, 10:24 AM
I use filezilla for my FTP-needs, works wonderfull and does it all :)

beckie
02-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Wow - this is an old thread! :)

I use the paid version of Cuteftp - 6.0 professional. I never have any problems with it and I can edit the files on the server instead of downloading/uploading.

dyonisus
02-12-2007, 12:48 PM
I use WS but have found problems with it, I used to use Cute, paid for a version and then lost the info and was sent WS

I actually like SSH, but i still need to use FTP sometimes so WS it is for now