PDA

View Full Version : Domain Name Registration

sweet7
09-12-2004, 11:05 PM
Who do you use and why?

So far I've been using Directnic but I've heard good things about namecheap. Anyone with information please do share.

Also how long do you register domains for if you don't have a plan for them quite yet?

Thanks! :)

monaro
09-13-2004, 07:25 AM
G'day Sweet

I am using namecheap. Cause they answered an email that I once sent to them
that said something like .. Hi, how are you? And they replied with a welcome and
then we replied a few more emails before I asked questions about domains.

I also lost my godady account some weird thing. I will not go into that.

I just set them to 1 year, but many years ago i had been with dotster where i would
register them for 2 years.

Have a great domain register kind of day Mate!

sweet7
09-13-2004, 10:03 AM
thanks monaro I think I will go with your advice, I just needed some reinforcement ! :)

I also hear they accept paypal is this true?

Evil Chris
09-13-2004, 10:09 AM
I use Directnic for everything. I know I'm paying a few dollars more per domain, but I think it's because I have a sense of trust with them. I also know one of the owners.

My more "valuable" domains I register for at least two years at a time, while the domains I'm speculating about get one year at a time.

monaro
09-13-2004, 10:12 AM
Hi Chris, you beat me to that last post =)

thruma
09-13-2004, 10:15 AM
so monaro what happened with godaddy?

I use godaddy and haven't had problems. I've heard others talking about small probs with them

kaustic
09-13-2004, 10:38 AM
Directni.com since 1997. Not a single problem. Cheap domains. Fast configuration changes (Nameservers, etc) I just plain love 'em

sweet7
09-13-2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by kaustic
Directni.com since 1997. Not a single problem. Cheap domains. Fast configuration changes (Nameservers, etc) I just plain love 'em

I wouldn't say they're cheap but they are everything else that you said. The only reason I'm thinking of using namecheap is because of the cost. Otherwise I would go with Directnic no contest.

sweet7
09-13-2004, 03:25 PM
another question just sprung to mind:
If a domain is unregistered can it possibly have a PR ranking?
If so, is there any way to find its PR ranking?

sweet7
09-13-2004, 05:55 PM
anybody?

thruma
09-13-2004, 06:14 PM
I don't think so sweet.

The PR ranking works by spidering the domain once it has a page up and live on the net.

If the domain has a PR ranking before that happens it must be from a former owner who let the domain expire.

sweet7
09-13-2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by thruma
I don't think so sweet.

The PR ranking works by spidering the domain once it has a page up and live on the net.

If the domain has a PR ranking before that happens it must be from a former owner who let the domain expire.

I must have been thinking about expiring domains. :\

plugin
03-19-2012, 11:24 AM
I use GoDaddy for domain registration