PDA

View Full Version : ICQ problems

Panky
09-17-2004, 01:54 AM
For the past few days or so, my ICQ has been messing up big time. Whenever I type a message, if it is more than two sentences, the message will either show up blank, be jumbled, or only partially there when viewed by the receiver.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the problem?

I've unistalled it. Re-installed. Ran all kinds of spyware and all those type scans, and ICQ still refuses to work right for me. I'm using the ICQ pro 2003b. I've used a lite version as well and it still messed up a bit.

I'd unistall ICQ for good if it weren't for the fact that it seems to be an industry standard.

Any suggestions or fixes are appreciated. Thanks! :D

Gruntled
09-17-2004, 10:10 AM
Panky,

I've been using Gaim (gaim.sourceforge.com) for about a year. It handles all of the major IM protocols, and is very stable. Give it a try.

Evil Chris
09-17-2004, 01:26 PM
Panky I have problems with my ICQ from time to time as well.
Lately it's been fairly stable (knock on wood)...

But I'm considering using the browser based ICQ (http://go.icq.com/) full time just to see how it goes.

You won't be able to save the history, but it might be a compromise worth making.

D-man
09-17-2004, 01:59 PM
ICQ has really started to suck - guess thats what happenes when a big company buys something cool they fuck it up - I have been thinking about the switch to Trillion but like all IM protocal programs you lose features I am used too

D-man
09-17-2004, 02:00 PM
wow two more posts and I have a post a month average - kinda cool huh chris?

Gruntled
09-17-2004, 02:20 PM
Trellian was very crash-prone the last time I tried it. I've got almost all the features from all of the im programs, and I log in and out of all of them at the same time.

Panky
09-17-2004, 09:36 PM
Thank you for the info everyone! :D

monaro
09-17-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Panky

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the problem?

:D

Sorry that I am not able to give any help on this one Panky,
I have been able to regain access to one of my older icq's
But never seen a problem like that you have received.

Originally posted by Evil Chris
But I'm considering using the browser based ICQ (http://go.icq.com/) full time just to see how it goes.

Chris, I am with you on that, I might give that a test, see if it better using icq that way =) Thanks

Originally posted by Gruntled
Panky,

I've been using Gaim (gaim.sourceforge.com) for about a year. It handles all of the major IM protocols, and is very stable. Give it a try.

G'day Gruntled,
Have lost some of my bookmarks and I beleive that was one of them.
I must say thank you very much for showing that url, very good.
Have a great day