PDA

View Full Version : Is my sig too big?

Mister X
11-26-2002, 04:56 PM
Believe it or not I got an email from "customer service" on another board telling me that because of "increased traffic" I would have to change my sig. She said I'm allowed one 120x60 banner. The 2 little banners I have are 60x40 and less than 1 kb each. Plus they are on MY server! What a frigging joke. They aren't even animated fer chrissakes. Where do they hire these people? :bonk:

Vid Vicious
11-26-2002, 05:00 PM
yah I got that email too .. only thing is that my sigs (and most others) are hosted by my own server. Has nothing to do with they're server's load time ..

Evil Chris
11-26-2002, 05:29 PM
That's weird, but in fairness to whomever sent you that I gotta say that I've seen people go WAY overboard with their signatures...
We dont' really have a problem with it here... hahaha.. YET! :p

Mister X
11-26-2002, 06:36 PM
Well I can see them sending an email if it was on there server OR if the 2 files were both big gifs OR if it was a couple of gifs with really long load times. But when none of those things is true it's just plain idiocy.
:nuts:

Evil Chris
11-26-2002, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Mister X
Well I can see them sending an email if it was on there server OR if the 2 files were both big gifs OR if it was a couple of gifs with really long load times. But when none of those things is true it's just plain idiocy.
:nuts: I think "idiocy" is a funny word. :nuts:

Mister X
11-26-2002, 10:51 PM
Hehe. Idiocy actually is kind of funny. :D

twinkley
11-27-2002, 01:42 PM
The reasoning is not that your slowing down their pages...

Its that your getting FREE advertising afrom them. Chances are they are seeing a traffic drop somewhere and are blaming the banners/sigs. I have seen this before.

We are back to - isnt the POINT of messageboards to interact and network to ply your wares - whatever they may be?

If you are running a messageboard and dont want people "taking" your traffic - dont allow banners - duhhh

twinkley

Mister X
11-27-2002, 10:37 PM
All I have to say is that if I can't promote things that I'm involved with then there's really nothing to keep me going to a forum. Sure there are lots of cool people that hang there, but there's a point when it gets to be too much trouble for too little return. This nameless forum is one where I used to spend a significant amount of time but now I read maybe one post in 20 or 30 and rarely bother to post a response. There are too many lightweight fluff posts that I just don't have the time to wade through. I like to joke around and have fun, but it is a business after all. So if there is a drop in the clickthru rates for that forum I think it's quite likely that other people feel the same way. Sure it's nice to have lots of traffic coming through your forum but I wonder about the quality of that traffic sometimes.

Juge
12-02-2002, 01:57 PM
Believe it or not I got an email from "customer service" on another board telling me that because of "increased traffic" I would have to change my sig. She said I'm allowed one 120x60 banner. The 2 little banners I have are 60x40 and less than 1 kb each. Plus they are on MY server! What a frigging joke. They aren't even animated fer chrissakes. Where do they hire these people? :bonk: Yes, but with the space between them, they make a single banner that is larger than 120 pixels... and every pixel matters. :)

StuartD
12-02-2002, 02:33 PM
You should hear the flack I get about my sig... but it's perfectly legal.

Most people look and automatically assume it's some huge animated gif, but it's just an html table with a 120x60 button and 3 lines... exactly what the rules state (on most boards) :xthumbs:

sherie
12-02-2002, 02:36 PM
I need a microscope for that bad boy LMAO

Mister X
12-02-2002, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Juge
Yes, but with the space between them, they make a single banner that is larger than 120 pixels... and every pixel matters. :) Actually a 120x60 banner is 7200 pixels. My 2 banners add up to 4800 pixels. Even with the space I think I'm legal. :D

Juge
12-03-2002, 10:15 AM
Actually a 120x60 banner is 7200 pixels. My 2 banners add up to 4800 pixels. Even with the space I think I'm legal. :D I thought you said the rules of whatever board you were talking about was a 120x60 max size banner... not a 7200 pixel sized banner. So that's why I commented on the space making it bigger than 120 in width. Not that I care, I was just teasing anyway... :)

SuartD, take a look at my sig, I assumed the image and three lines of text had to be on one line, otherwise, just as your signature shows, your signature can still be very large and be in accordance to the rules. But, if they don't specify that exactly, I guess you're in the right.

Mister X
12-03-2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Juge
I thought you said the rules of whatever board you were talking about was a 120x60 max size banner... not a 7200 pixel sized banner. So that's why I commented on the space making it bigger than 120 in width. Not that I care, I was just teasing anyway... :)
Lol. I know you were kidding. But you said every pixel counts sooooo.... :D
Anyway, like most everyone else, my banners are hosted on my server so it's more an issue of some boards trying to exert more control over advertising. Saying it's because their board has gotten busier is just a lame excuse for an excuse.

Juge
12-03-2002, 02:25 PM
Yeah, it is just an excuse. But, every board has the right to limit signatures, but they might as well just come out and say it if that's the case.