PDA

View Full Version : Radio Shack

Evil Chris
10-01-2004, 11:38 AM
Does anyone actually shop there for electronics?

The only thing I've ever purchased from Radio Shack in the past decade or so is maybe a plug or a small wire splitter or something.

I don't think I'd ever consider buying a complete computer from them.

Plus, they're usually staffed by a bunch of idiots. LOL

Odie
10-01-2004, 11:43 AM
I'm right there with you Chris. I think I bought a splitter there once and a cable. I don't know how they stay in biz honestly especially now with best buy and office depot out there..

Evil Chris
10-01-2004, 11:46 AM
I know! I buy the majority of my electronics at Future Shop.
They rock!

Ronaldo
10-01-2004, 12:11 PM
I've bought a few small things and a couple of computer games that I couldn't find anywhere else, but nothing big.

Marketing 101 tells you to put your price points at the front of your store. The price points THEY have featured would turn anyone with a clue away.

Torn Rose
10-01-2004, 12:36 PM
I'm a diehard Best Buy guy, but I have no reason to be, I've had so many "issues" with the staff at the one I use to go to in Indiana, but yet I kept going back.

I had a guy tell me that a .jpg was a movie and when I told him no, a movie is an mpeg and he got all crappy with me.

This is one of many stories I have from them. I spent $10k in less then 2 years there and had so many bad experiences but I STILL WENT BACK....

ho hum....

I’m one of those shoppers that I want to be left alone, let me look, compare, and think and if I have any question I will ask.
:bob:

GoodChris
10-01-2004, 02:31 PM
They used to be a great place to go for stuff but who would ever buy a 'Realistic' Brand stereo.... C'mon now.

D-man
10-01-2004, 03:01 PM
I use an Optimus (aka - radio shack) SSM-1750 Mixer for my radio shows - and I have 2 mics from them - I also got my 2 line Polycom duplex phone from them as they were blowing them out at 50% off so I saved $100 - thats about it except for the occasional splitter, plug or whatever - other then that they have cool RC toys -

baddog
10-01-2004, 05:05 PM
I rarely buy electronics retail, but Radio Shack is okay for a quick in and out, low priced connector or cable . . . . however, my son did recently get a pretty good deal on a router there. Of course, it was on dale.

Panky
10-01-2004, 07:32 PM
I knew more than the sales people at our local Radio Shack. That's really bad. Ever since moving here, Future Shop rules. I just love that place. :D

garcia
10-01-2004, 10:01 PM
At one point Radio Shack was the only true consumer outlet when it came to pc's at affordable prices. I admit I bought my first one there almost 10 years ago. Now I wouldn't be caught dead in one. :cool:

Feynman
10-03-2004, 10:34 PM
Radio Shack usually have extremely good quality equipment, for the features offered. CB radios were made by Cobra, TRS Model 4 computers were made by Tektronik, microcassette recorders were made by Olympus (the inventor of the Microcassette), some short wave radios made by a very reputed manufacturer (I forgot the name), their metal detectors were also made by a well respected brand. The little cast aluminum Optimus speakers were fantastic, very good quality, ideal to put around in a house.

The reason for their high reliability is, service costs them a bundle, so their equipment is, for the published performance specifications, designed with high reliability in mind. That was true for the Realistic/Optimus brand but might not be true for the other brand names that they carry like Sony, etc.

I also suspect that they down-rate their specification sheets to make sure that people do not expect too much of them, thus reducing the requirement for service. When they hear or use the product, they are usually very pleased.

All in all, most products with their store brand name are of rugged, good quality. You know they'll deliver the performance. Maybe it changed, as they introduced third-party brands, but it was that way ten to twenty years ago.

BTW, to you shutterbugs, I haven't found a better NiMH AA battery charger than the Realistic quick charger. It's expensive, though. On intensive shoots, I like to have 2 of them to keep the cameras and flashes going.

thruma
10-03-2004, 10:59 PM
Thay actually have pretty good quality equipment but it's all way overpriced for what you get.

I'd buy a Sony or Harmon Kardon first and get more value for the money.

Feynman
10-04-2004, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by thruma
Thay actually have pretty good quality equipment but it's all way overpriced for what you get.

I'd buy a Sony or Harmon Kardon first and get more value for the money.

Oh, definitely. I didn't say that it's super high quality, I said that it's reliable and solid performers. But you won't get stellar quality.

I guess they made their money in the areas where they offered reliable equipment for the non-connoisseur in an era where electronics was still black magic. Remember, it was first Tandy Corporation a leather and hobby supply company, if I remember correctly.

They're not Tandy anymore. They were purchased by one company that runs one of those mega-chains (maybe FutureShop), but they kept the separate name. This is why they are marketing third party brands now.

webgurl
10-04-2004, 02:57 AM
this is kind of funny i had a conversation similar to this while back with my partner . Who Does Shop @ Radioshack ??? There are lots of idiots that work there as well totally agree. I can't beleive they are still around ....

gnat69
10-04-2004, 02:39 PM
i would not buy any major equip. there. I think that Radio Shack is like the conveinent store for parts, run in & out!!!

mindoza
10-04-2004, 04:26 PM
I bought a bat for my cordless phone there once...I never see anyone in the stores & the help is usually staring into space!

thruma
10-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Well the other thing they have that is or at least used to be hard to get is small electronic componants for building electronic items.

In this day and age I'm sure one could get all that on the net though.

thruma
10-04-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Feynman
Oh, definitely. I didn't say that it's super high quality, I said that it's reliable and solid performers. But you won't get stellar quality.

I guess they made their money in the areas where they offered reliable equipment for the non-connoisseur in an era where electronics was still black magic. Remember, it was first Tandy Corporation a leather and hobby supply company, if I remember correctly.

They're not Tandy anymore. They were purchased by one company that runs one of those mega-chains (maybe FutureShop), but they kept the separate name. This is why they are marketing third party brands now.

Yeah I wasn't disagreeing with you :)